Ask a current student anything and get honest answers

<p>Jeremybeach:</p>

<p>SO??? What happened? Did you call? PLease let us know. We're all pulling for you.</p>

<p>I think I'm just going to stick with Tulane haha. What happened was, I eamiled Nikki Chun (crap...EMAILED haha i am bad at shpelling today) and she said UM was indeed still accepting deposits. But, I think I was really backwards yesterday because today I am really happy to be going to Tulane and i'm not quite sure what i was *****ing about yesterday lol. Thanks though for the support! That is the #1 reason i love CC :P</p>

<p>Acarta gave some good advice... </p>

<p>UM has the something like the 5th best program for music in the COUNTRY though... I'm not sure if you've visited UM yet, but their music school is outstanding... they have some of the best professors and top notch music equipment etc.... it's insane!</p>

<p>Go with your heart though, and I'm sure you've done plenty of research by now!</p>

<p>That's the thing lol. I have visited and i love the campus (beaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaautiful,) but tulane's is just as nice in my opinion (but less palm trees.) lol. I know that Frost is amazingly good but I got no $$ there and it's just so hard. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to stick with Tulane, and if it's just not right enough, I'll transfer somewhere with a better program lol.</p>

<p>That's a good attitude! You can always transfer and it's good to remember that choosing a college is not life and death.... it won't determine your future!</p>

<p>I was recently admitted as a transfer student and im guessing that I will not receive housing on campus and be forced to live off campus. From past experience I've found its a lot easier making friends at school if you live in the dorms, so my question is does anyone know how hard it is to make friends as a transfer student at UM living off campus?</p>

<p>I guess it will be a bit more difficult living off campus your first year at UM in terms of making friends. But if you get involved with on campus activities and are fairly outgoing it shouldn't be too much of a problem. What year are you in? Where will you be living? Have you tried to get on campus housing?</p>

<p>Im transferring as a sophomore, and I have no clue where I'll be living because I just found out about my acceptance two nights ago through myUM. I plan on calling UM tomorrow and asking how full housing is but according to an earlier post on this topic there is no housing for transfer students in the upcoming semester.</p>

<p>You should probably start a new thread with "transfer" in the title to get more replys. Good luck.</p>

<p>You shouldn't have a difficult time to make friends... Most of my friends I met in class, and through activities on campus/clubs etc.... Even for people living on campus, it's up to you to make friends... Join facebook (if you haven't already) because they have a new homepage thing for the UM network and I know there is a discussion board with an entire thread made up of transfer students looking for roomates etc.</p>

<p>I want to thank you for all the helpful information. I have another one and would appriciate any comments. How to become a Florida Resident?</p>

<p>By the way, My son is from NJ.</p>

<p>Living in or attending school in Florida will not, in itself, establish legal residency. Also, since UM is a private school, non-resident/resident fees don't apply here, so I'm curious why your son would want to change residency? In order to change to a FL resident your son would have to first need to determine whether he is a dependent or independent student. If you still claim him as a dependent on your Federal Tax form he is dependent and cannot become a legal Floridian. If he has been independent totally for the last 12 months, he can possibly become a FL resident. An independent student must be</p>

<pre><code>* 24 years of age prior to the start of the term, or
* married, or
* have a dependent child, or
* provide a minimum of 51% of his or her own support.
</code></pre>

<p>We (parents) became legal FL residents 8 months after son went to UM (sold the house and physically moved) so son became a FL resident, but to be honest it didn't help him one bit as far as UM was concerned... </p>

<p>If indeed he qualifies to be a FL resident, you can send me a private message here at CC and I can give you the rest of the qualifying information, including a list of necessary documentation. Don't forget.... if he does become a Floridian, that certain things like auto insurance, etc., become his own financial responsibilities, which in FL are very very high for a single male. (Son's auto insurance tripled from his previous Illinois rates!)</p>

<p>Are the GPA's used for scholarship funding weighted or unweighed?</p>

<p>I'm pretty sure it's unweighted but they probably take into account how difficult the courses are that you took.........</p>

<p>I'm concerned about the suites at UM. I'm told that the windows are sealed in Eaton for health reasons and also that the University does not clean the suite bathrooms. Does UM provide bathroom tissue or is that also student responsibility. Just want to send him off prepared.
Thanks</p>

<p>The windows are sealed in all the dorms and the University does not clean the bathrooms in the suites. My S was in Eaton last semester. My S says they also had to buy their own bathroom tissue.</p>

<p>Thank you! I really appreciate your response. We're driving down so I'll be able to send some tissue for them to start the year. Do you happen to know if they need to bring their own shower curtain/liner or anything else basic for the bathroom? I want to prepare him as much as I can since I may be able to get him some things inexpensively this summer before he goes.</p>

<p>They provided the shower curtain but nothing else. You might want to get down and see the sizes you would need and what the other members of the suite are willing to split up with you. My S and his suitemates bought nothing for the bathroom. Every time I asked my S if he needed anything for the bathroom he said no. He wore flip flops in the shower. I can only imagine what that bathroom looked like!</p>

<p>THIS WAS THE BEST THREAD LAST YEAR AS S WAS ENTERING FRESHMEN YEAR....</p>

<p>Well, made it through and all the info on this thread proved very useful. Wonder way no Freshmen or their parents have found it yet. </p>

<p>Any way, another Mom question- Son will also be in suite (Mahoney). IS the bathroom floor slippery? Do we need to send down a floor towel/mat? Glad Priority thought to ask about TP. Guess I'llsneak a few rolls into the luggage.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>