Ask a current student anything and get honest answers

<p>a lot of crime. make sure you watch CSI Miami to stay on top of things</p>

<p>We visited UMiami in March last year. The campus is beautiful and the surrounding neighborhood of Coral Gables is very upscale. I don't know what "issues" in South Florida your friend was referring to except that the housing market in Florida (and also Arizona, Las Vegas and California) has been hit really hard with prices tumbling by 30+% and many empty condo units in downtown Miami(not right near the school). That may actually help reduce rents for upperclassmen.</p>

<p>"issues in south florida?" I live in Miami and there is nothing I would consider too terrible to keep someone from living here. Yea the economy is bad, but that is pretty much everywhere. Hurricanes are really not a big deal, you are advised like 4 days in advance, and it is usually pretty fun if you are prepared. Everyone loves playing cards with friends when the light is out and class is canceled ;) I think Miami is a great place to live. Its very dinamic and wouldn't change it for the world. I'm applying to UM too and that is because I don't want to live this city.</p>

<p>Is the main language in Miami English or Spanish? or is it about 50/50?</p>

<p>I would definitely say English, though it can also depend on which part of the city you go into.</p>

<p>The main language is English. Miami is part of the USA. Haha.</p>

<p>^ True, but you do need a sizable amount of Spanish to get around. When I was in South Beach, (I don't speak Spanish) it was very hard to make myself be understood. Don't just make assumptions that because it's USA that English is the most widely spoken</p>

<p>If you go to UM, I don't see why you wouldn't at least try to learn some Spanish...</p>

<p>On the subject of language, are there any foreign language requirements?</p>

<p>How are the financial aid packages? How much of your financial need did the U cover? ..</p>

<p>I think College Board said that UM meets 88% of need.</p>

<p>yes, CB said they meet 88% of need, and judging by other posts on this site, they seem to be fairly good about giving out merit based scholarships as well.</p>

<p>Can a current student confirm my suspicions that the entirety of the admissions department was hanging out in The Rat and suddenly realized a day or two ago that Feb. 1st was coming up?</p>

<p>How soon should I pay the enrollment deposit and apply for housing? I definitely want to get a good number...</p>

<p>Does UM accept credits from college classes taken at high school [dual enrollment]?</p>

<p>I know this is a response to an old message, (1/26), but wanted to give you my opinion...</p>

<p>There's no more crime in Miami than in any other major city. CSI is simply a crime show based on fiction. "The U" is in Coral Gables, a very upscale and safe community where people can walk, jog and ride their bikes without a problem. Its beauty is incredible, full of nature, and the better homes begin at well over $2 million. I live 2 blocks from UM (not in a million-dollar home, though) so I speak from experience. As far as language, although we do have a large Hispanic community, not speaking Spanish is usually no big deal because the majority of establishments are bilingual; although there may be some smaller establishments where Spanish is spoken more than English, they make an effort to communicate, call on an employee that speaks English, or there's usually a bilingual customer nearby that is happy to translate.</p>

<p>I'm a potential UM student (still waiting on admissions/scholarships from UM and several other schools) who is very interested in sports whether it be college or professional. I know that all University sports are free of admission for students, but are there any deals with the surrounding teams for cheaper admissions (Heat, Panthers, Dolphins, and Marlins). Also, how close are these stadiums to the school and are they easily accessible?</p>

<p>I am considering University of Miami, but im not 100% positive that I want to go there, should I pay the deposits just in case, to insure I have a spot and dorm open?</p>

<p>Trying to decide UM business or Kelley School Indiana?
Any thoughts on these programs and what is placement like from the biz school at Miami?and Has the new Dean from Wharton made significant changes?</p>

<p>Hmmm, Bloomington, Indiana versus Coral Gables...</p>

<p>Kelley probably has a better reputation, but UM has a pretty good b-school.</p>