Ask a current student anything and get honest answers

<p>Hey guys, I'd like whoever to answer, I'm just wondering. I was already accepted EA, but I was recently invited to join the PRISM Program, the Advanced Program for Integrated Science and Math. I'd never heard of it, but is it a good program? Does it show up in any rankings?</p>

<p>My S was accepted as a Direct Admit to Kelley Business School with an IU Distinction Scholarship. He was admitted to Miami EA with no scholarship. He is tending towards Miami due to stronger student body overall, city location (which hopefully will make internships easier during the year), weather and strong program in his other interest of Communications. But Indiana with scholarship is hard to turn down.</p>

<p>How hard is it to change majors? For example, if I started in business, how hard would it be to switch to IT?</p>

<p>Ladyconfused is a great source of information. However, I do have a tiny correction. I went to UMiami in the early 1980's and the sororities never, ever had houses. Kappa Kappa Gamma opened a chapter in 1948 and the Mary Merritt Panhellenic Building was opened a few years later. The sororities have always been housed in the suites in this building. In a way it's not so great to not have a house. On the other hand, your fees are lower because the chapter is not trying to support a house. </p>

<p>Greek life for girls at Miami has consisted of approximately 7 sororities since the 80's. Some have come and gone and reappeared. Currently, UM has ADPi, KKG, DG, DDD, DPhiE, Delta Sig. Theta (I think?) and ZTA. Greeks are pretty active but it won't consume your life the way it might at a large state school where Greek life is big (you know, those other two up north :) </p>

<p>The serial killer was in Tallahassee. Ted Bundy murdered sorority sisters in the Chi Omega house in the late 70's. The Chi O's still live in that house to this day up in Tally.</p>

<p>A deranged carpet cleaning guy brutally murdered some kids in the 80's in Gainesville, but that had nothing to do with Greek houses.</p>

<p>I have a question regarding on-campus housing.... I asked what was available and she told me that she didn't know what was available and that I would need to be placed on some sort of waiting list where I wouldn't find out until after classes begin. That's sort of a problem, because I'm from New Jersey and there's not really a place I could stay in between... Also, I'll be a transferring sophomore, so which dorm would I want to try and get?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>(by the way, im pretty quiet and dont drink or do anything if that means anything...)</p>

<p>Does anyone know anything about University of Miami's wait list? How long it is and if anyone ever gets off the list?</p>

<p>here is my question... does the school sell us incoming freshman laptops? I want to get some mac laptop for miami and my mom offered to buy me one but if its cheaper ill tell her to wait till we pay enrollment to get it from the school themselves</p>

<p>Welcome</a> to the Apple Store - Apple Store (U.S.)</p>

<p>There you go. If you wait until the end of the summer, you can get a free printer and iPod with it.</p>

<p>Computers can be purchased through the UM Technology Product Center. Here is a link to their site.<br>
Personal</a> Purchases | University of Miami</p>

<p>Is it necessary to have a printer in the dorm room? Is there a place that you can go to print out your papers and such?</p>

<p>is it difficult to live on campus without a car?</p>

<p>DinDune, I know for a fact that you can print stuff outside of your room in the computer labs. However, I am personally bringing a printer along. If I ever finish a paper at 4am or the printer in the lab is not working, I would want a way to print still.</p>

<p>I am looking to go into jazz performance and am deciding between UM and Temple Univeristy. As of now, UM is my top choice but that is dependent on admission/scholarship consideration. I was wondering if the stereotypes are true about all the "rich kids" and superficial attitudes. Is the whole school like this and is it hard to find friends who are genuine people? I come from a very wealthy town in South Jersey where a majority of the kids in my high school are snobby and I'm afraid UM will be even worse.</p>

<p>My DS will be attending and he is a down to earth, not wealthy at all, kid who is only going because he got a great scholarship! We know a few kids there who are also down to earth, nice kids...I think you will find wealthy kids at any private university, because those that aren't on scholarship can afford to pay, but many at UM are on scholarship.
It may be work to find kids like you, but it would be anywhere!</p>

<p>My D will more than likely be attending Miami. We are from a very wealthy area in N NJ. Lots of snobby kids in her school too, but D is VERY down to earth and is going on a scholarship also. I am hoping the snobby rich kid reputation is more of a misrepresentation instead of reality.</p>

<p>DinDune and SVMMom, I am making sure my D meets your kids if she ends up going to Miami!</p>

<p>notan4me, sounds like a plan! He is 95 percent going unless next week's responses are more generous, which I highly doubt! UMiami here he comes...</p>

<p>Thanks to those who replied, however it looks like I will be attending Temple as I was not accepted into Frost for my first choice major and got zero scholarship.</p>

<p>What are the girls like?</p>

<p>thats impossible to say. there are girls of all types here. yes there are plenty of hot girls at UM, but there are many down to earth girls, some rich ones, some crazy ones etc.</p>

<p>the people are extremely diverse here</p>