Ask a current student anything and get honest answers

<p>So are the girls of Miami generally hot? How do they compare to the girls of universities like UCLA, Illinois, McGill, North Carolina, etc?</p>

<p>I’m REEEEALLY interested in Miami but have some big concerns about the social life</p>

<p>I know the U is a big party school, but I’m wondering if there are other social scenes aside from the trendy clubbing/ frat party scene that still qualify as social scenes (aka not “If you’re not into partying there are always free movies and campus events!” --cuz that’s lame)
I mean are there other REAL social options besides the superficial party scene.</p>

<p>Just to give some background on myself, I’m applying for music so I guess I’d be conidered an “artsy” kid…One of my other fave schools is Oberlin…and don’t get the wrong idea- I do like to party- just in a more chill way…</p>

<p>based on this…could I still have a good time at U Miami???</p>

<p>A lot of the music school kids have house parties on the weekend. There is also a music fraternity that has a bunch of events and is another alternative to the other fraternities on campus. The kids in the music school are pretty laid back and become pretty close because they have classes with each other. I think you can still find a scene that fits you.</p>

<p>that’s helpful, thanks
are you @ U Miami?</p>

<p>Yup, I’m sophomore. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.</p>

<p>Son would do Comp Sc as a major, but wanted to do a course or 2 in audio engineering. would that be possible?</p>

<p>I have a question. How hard is it to make friends with the Espa</p>

<p>I was an average accepted applicant to Miami in terms of SAT scores and grades (Class of 2008); high achieving: 1250 SAT, 4.0 Weighted GPA. I was a nerd in high school and came to Miami with an open mind. </p>

<p>Students work hard and play hard. Playing hard means doing some things, like going to bars and clubs with your friends even if you are uncertain or don’t drink. You obviously don’t have to drink, binge drink, or take any drugs to have fun. I didn’t and let the atmosphere, culture, and diversity change my world view and my entire understanding of diversity coming from a Northern NJ suburb that is 97% caucasian. </p>

<p>Knowing Spanish is invaluable so take as many years as possible in high school, and living in Miami will make you conversational. Don’t be uptight about others drinking, even binge drinking (unless they regurgitate on you, of course, which never happened to me). Everyone has fun in their own way. Even if you don’t want to drink that much, don’t close off social opportunities to uphold your personal morals. You will be isolated and maybe writing on this board about how everyone at Miami is…whatever. I’m not rich, btw.</p>

<p>The library is packed during the week and everyday during reading days and finals period when it is open 24 hours. UM set up lighted tents outside of the library when I was there. </p>

<p>I was a quiet, reserved studious student who focused on volunteer work and extracurriculars in high school looking for a well-rounded college experience that would teach me about the world. While other schools out there claim that they teach you about the world, living in Miami (one of if not the most internationally influenced city in the US in terms of language and people settling into the city and living in their own culture which you learn to understand) is another world.</p>

<p>Now I am in graduate school and a much more fun person to be around and just as studious as in high school.</p>

<p>A university as accommodating to students concerns, academically rigorous, and as internationally influenced as Miami makes four undergraduate years fun and teaches you about the world while getting a great formal education.</p>

<p>I’m sure someone may have asked this, but there are so many replies I wasn’t able to find an answer. So forgive me if this is already answered:</p>

<p>I’m an accepted transfer student coming in as a junior. I was wondering if any current students had advice for me on class registration or simply what I should do my first semester? I’m transfering from a community college, so I want to make sure I’m armed with the knowledge I need so I don’t get lost my first semester.</p>

<p>Any tips, suggestions, or specific things you’ve picked up over the years as a student at UM would be great. Do they have a “buddy” program where a senior student helps transfers adjust and learn the ins-and-outs?</p>

<p>Son is a junior.
I transferred years ago from a small to huge school so I’ll try to use experience to help you.</p>

<p>Classes- you register on line. Find out who your adviser is and email them. Do you have a major in mind? They will help you with what you need to take. The kids have not yet registered but are getting back to campus this weekend form break, so call or email on Monday and get connected with your adviser. My son s has been great.</p>

<p>If you are moving into a dorm, you will make friends on your floor. Join clubs, there are numerous ones on campus. Rush a frat/sorority for instant friendships and activities.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>How is UM’s reputation in Business? I’m thinking about majoring in International Business, want to know if the program is challenging yet rewarding and what it’s reputation exactly is.</p>

<p>Do you enjoy the school’s atmosphere and is the social life what they claim it to be?</p>

<p>APAV,</p>

<p>UM Business’ rep is very good and getting better. </p>

<p>IFM (International Finance and Marketing) is the major you are asking about. Finance, plus marketing so there is a challenge. Just remember that a regular Biz student who gets international experience looks the same to most employers, if not more qualified due to time in the “real world”</p>

<p>Thanks for your response. I have online registration by appointment at my current college. However, I’m an honors student so I get priority appointment two days before the rest of student body. A common problem for non-honors students are classes filling up before their appointment time.</p>

<p>While I plan on joining the honors college at UM, I don’t believe that they have this benefit. Do you know if classes filling up quickly is a common problem in the School of Business? My fear is trying to get the schedule I need to graduate on time.</p>

<p>I’m planning on majoring in International Finance and Marketing with a Minor in Economics. However, given BaghDAD’s comments regarding regular business program vs IFM I may reconsider.</p>

<p>Since I’m a transfering junior, they do not guarantee housing for me. So I’m not sure if I will live in the dorms, but I certainly plan on joining clubs. I’m very active on campus at my CC, and plan on continuing that when I get there.</p>

<p>Final question: I’m a non-traditional student, 29 yo going for first bachelor’s. Is the student body mostly immature party-animals or will I be able to relate to others?</p>

<p>drock-
Try to live close to campus so you can be there often.</p>

<p>If you fit in at your CC I see no reason you will not fit in. By the time kids (?) are Juniors/Seniors they should be more mature and settle down. My own son is not running to South Beach and the bars. Stuff to do with friends on campus, hanging out, movies at Sunset, Dinners out, sports whether Canes or Miami teams. There are likely kids going back for their master’s and doctorates, etc… so you will not be the oldest on campus.</p>

<p>I’m not use if registration is based on credits or honors or both.</p>

<p>I think housing is tight for next year. Start looking for hosing now. See if there is a FB page for University Village Apts and see if someone has a spot for you. Don’t know if there is help at “UM housing” but there should be. I know htere are other on campus apts, maybe for grad students… May be renovating??? Try to link up with them too, as you’d fit in well.</p>

<p>Classes… If you get shut out, have your adviser (or you) contact the prof to give you permission for you to add the class. </p>

<p>I think you will be fine. Smart of you to address these things now.</p>

<p>I am pretty sure they go by class year and also by honors. You should be ok. Contact admissions (ask for the person how is in charge of the honors program) and ask about getting into honors, they will answer all your questions.</p>

<p>Does anyone know here if and how the admissions committee at U of Miami weight the grades of applicants to the undergraduate school? Do they unweight everything? If they weight, what is the weighting for honors and AP classes?</p>

<p>Hey, does anyone know what the marine science program is like? I’m a sophomore in high school, and I want to be a marine biologist. Any information would be great. Thanks!</p>

<p>The Marine Bio program is fantastic. But I think I already told you all about it ;)</p>

<p>BaghDAD, does this mean the regular business program is better than the IFM program? I am in need of a little clarification about what you said.</p>

<p>Does anyone know of any current students in Miami’s school of communication? and whether they like it? Is it a good program?</p>