Ask a current student anything and get honest answers

<p>BaghDAD - I would agree with APAV92 re: the clarification. IFM vs BBA? My career path is in international trade (so I would supplement the IFM degree with a minor in economics), but the emphasis on finance in the program is a little unattractive to me. Any suggestions on what career paths usually come from IFM degree vs BBA?</p>

<p>crazed - Thank you for your advice. You mentioned that your son had a good experience with his advisors. Would you say that they is a common trend for academic advisors at UM? I know that the advisors at my CC are pretty much useless, but I can’t imagine surviving at UM without a good one.</p>

<p>My admission counselor is not the most helpful, so I’m having trouble figuring out what my next step is. Besides paying my deposit, should I start calling housing and getting in contact with academic advisors? I hate to say it, but the admissions office should give me a heads up on what to do next. Are they waiting for deposit before they bother with that?</p>

<p>ermime,</p>

<p>I’m in the School of Communication. Anything specific I can answer about it for you? What are you looking to study?</p>

<p>drock80, they’ll let you know everything you need to do. If it’s not already there, you will eventually have a tab on MyUM that says something like first year checklist. It’ll have like 10 steps with everything you need to do before coming in, and when you need to do it. Unless you’re in some sort of program that requires it (I don’t know of any) you don’t need to be getting into contact with academic advisors or anything. Generally, unless you’re told to do something, you don’t have it do it, so don’t stress. I never once talked to my admissions officer from UM, and I managed to be way ahead on every single deadline. Just be sure that when you get an e-mail, you read it! :slight_smile: And welcome to the U!</p>

<p>Edit: I didn’t notice you’re transferring. I wouldn’t worry too much, though, I’m sure they’ll be in contact about what you need to do. As a Freshman, I didn’t get an e-mail with everything they needed from me until around April, I think, so transfers probably get a similar e-mail at around the same time. Give the admissions department a call or something, but I really don’t think you need to worry.</p>

<p>OK so I will let up on the worry a little. I will be going to the open house for accepted students, so hopefully I will get some answers then. I’m really excited about this!</p>

<p>This collegeconfidential.com forum is really an amazing asset! Thanks to everyone!</p>

<p>I’ll be studying public relations. And I was just basically wondering about students input on the program, like what you like/don’t like about it? haha, and if you have been able to do a lot of internships in the Miami area?</p>

<p>can anyone shed some additional light on the weekend social scene at miami? i like to party, but im not going to drop $20-40 bucks a weekend just to get into some club… are there still a fair amount of house parties on campus that underclassmen can go to?</p>

<p>drock- Once you pay your deposit, you will get lots of info about what to do next. Enjoy the admitted students Open House, it will answer a lot of your questions.</p>

<p>APAV/drock,</p>

<p>Sorry for the tardy response. IFM is a major, like accounting. Most students get a BBA in it. My point was that it is a bit broad, without the total focus of Finance or Marketing. No matter what major you take, you still have to the business core requirements. My contention is that any major can be made international by taking advantage of UMiami’s study abroad programs and internships. International experience in any major is as valued as having the IFM, especially if your IFM doesn’t have any international study or work tied to it.</p>

<p>My 2 cents. Good luck to you both, I know you will do great things at UM.</p>

<p>You should have your questions answered at the admitted student’s open house, but remember, that is for kids to see the school, if you are attending, or going back to see it again or for the first time.</p>

<p>Drock-I would not hesitate to call your dept now and ask about classes. As a transfer student, I’m sure you have more questions and concerns than a freshman. Freshman are required to meet with their advisers during orientation week (they are given a place/time in their orientation packets) but I do not know how it works for transfers. </p>

<p>My other son is a freshman elsewhere, and’ he’s taken the initiative to meet with his adviser and email him and another dept head about class offerings and requirements. the course outline of what he needs to take is online, so that is a great start for him. </p>

<p>For you, you’ll need to know which classes transfer and what course they are giving you credit for. As far as AP’s, Miami sent out a notification, via mail, that outlined the courses they were giving you credit for. ie- you took AP US Hisotry, so this may have stated: HIS 102 3 credits. The list went on and on. I expect that will happen for you.</p>

<p>Keep asking questions and we’ll try to help you out.</p>

<p>ajaku-
Social scene is what you want it to be. You can go out every night or not at all. You can go to clubs, stay on campus, go off, go to a movie on or off campus, hang with friends, etc…</p>

<p>BaghDAD - I get what you’re saying. As a transfer student (and being 29 yo) I’m concerned I may not have time and flexibility to do study abroad (although not out of the question). Internships, however, are definately in my horizon and I will be feverishly pursuing summer internship with Int’l Trade Administration or US Trade Representative office in DC. So I will make the best of the curriculum.</p>

<p>crazed - The good thing about this open house is they have a 30 min transfer seminar in the morning, so hopefully I will have many questions answered there. Plus, the UM fair gives me the opporunity to ask questions to several depts in one place (rather than running around campus). I haven’t toured the campus yet, so this will be a great chance as well.</p>

<p>I received my transfer credit report with my acceptance letter, and they accepted all of my credits that I anticipated. But, like you said, I still need to talk with an advisor to see which areas I need to get done first. The great thing is, if UM calculated my GPA the same way I did based on the transfered credits, I will have a 3.8 going into UM! :-)</p>

<p>The next question is about FinAid: My FinAid award is about $18,000 + $3,000 is work-study. That leaves about $20,000 in loans (which is a little higher than I like). I’m still waiting to see if they give me one of the merit transfer scholarships this week (fingers crossed so hard they are about to break!). I know this award was based on my income last year (which was decent), but ALL of that income goes WAY down in May. Anyone know how difficult it is to get the award adjusted based on new income for this coming year? I know the forms I need, but just wondering if anyone has done this before.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>are there dorm parties often? and if so, do the RA’s or anybody else shut it down?</p>

<p>From what my daughter tells me the RAs are actually fairly strict. Of course this would vary from floor to floor. I do not think there are actual “parties” in the dorms. A few kids may gather in a room, but nothing more than that.</p>

<p>The RA’s must be strict because they are hired to do a job and keep their floormates safe and make sure what they are doing is legal. They can get fired if they do not do their jobs. They are trained to make sure that the rules of the dorm are followed and there is a strict protocol if students are caught breaking the rules. If you want to “party”, perhaps find a house or place off campus and don’t put the RA’s in a bad position because they want to keep their jobs and they will report infractions.
So “Party” til you can’t stop, just don’t choose to do it in the dorm!</p>

<p>…obviously someone is an RA. get over yourself.</p>

<p>not an RA, just respect kids who work their way through college cause they have to!</p>

<p>I sense that someone has had bad experiences with RA’s. LOL :slight_smile: My RA is awesome, for reference… and in case he ever comes on these forums :stuck_out_tongue: But, yea, if an RA sees rules being broken, they have to stop it. I’ve never seen that happen on my floor, but I know that it has happened on others.</p>

<p>There are NO dorm parties. I have never been in trouble but the RAs are very strict here compared to other schools. People pregame quietly in their rooms and thats about it.</p>

<p>Parties do happen in apartments tho</p>

<p>what are the differences between the two freshman dorms, and which one would you recommend?</p>

<p>do the dorms have wireless now? I read somewhere that they did, but it was unbearably slow.</p>