Ask a current student anything and get honest answers

<p>Do a lot of people surf at south beach? how are the waves? what should i do when i come to visit this summer?</p>

<p>Sorry dave08sj. There 's no surfing at South Beach, cause there are no waves!!! The Atlantic coast is very different to the Pacific coast of the US. The only time you will get waves in Miami Beach is when a hurricane approaches....usually 16 hours before landfall...</p>

<p>So..I'm a transfer student..and I got shafted by housing (which I sorta expected..) but, my question is..where should I look for apartments? I need to live somewhat near campus (since I don't have a car..nor will I be getting one anytime soon). Obviously, I don't wanna spend a fortune either. Any suggestions?</p>

<p>You should probably start by checking out this off campus housing site.
<a href="http://www.sa.miami.edu/off-campus-services/off-campus-housing/index.htm%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.sa.miami.edu/off-campus-services/off-campus-housing/index.htm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Why weren't you able to get housing?</p>

<p>I guess because I'm a transfer student..and we don't have priority on housing..incoming freshman do. I received an e-mail two days saying they cannot accommodate me.</p>

<p>How much closet and dresser space is there? Would you suggest some sort of plastic storage drawers to put in the closet? Also, how big a flat screen TV? Are the rooms bare or carpeted?
THanks.</p>

<p>I'm sorry that I haven't been replying to posts lately... I just have five finals, five school days in a row, starting yesterday!</p>

<p>There isn't that much closet space.....and you get like 4 drawers underneath the mirror... DEFINITELY get some kind of drawers....... I wouldn't go over a 19in flat screen tv (that fits comfortably on your desk, and will leave room on it for you to study, look at the pics I posted earlier in this thread) if you're not going to loft your bed......if you are going to loft your bed, you can get as big as a tv as you want.</p>

<p>Most rooms are bare, in the towers there are one room per floor that has carpet which are study lounges that they transformed into rooms with the housing shortages.....</p>

<p>I would highly suggest huggable hangers from QVC for the closet.... and those hanging storage racks..... and if you buy a laundry basket, try to find one with some kind of wheels/or backpack like (I didn't do that and wish I did)</p>

<p>also vacuum seal bags are a life saver, as well as underbed storage units (either loft your bed or at least get bed raisers)</p>

<p>Thanks ladyconfused. You continue to provide a wealth of information.</p>

<p>Question: Miami has a pretty generous AP transfer credit policy on paper; is it practical to apply to real situations? Does the University show any signs of changing this policy any time soon?</p>

<p>not that I know of..... but make sure your AP scores are VERY good</p>

<p>1- You can access all AP credit equivalences from the UM website. Some 3's, 4's and 5's depending on the class.</p>

<p>2- When do freshmen/students purchase football tickets? Is there a student section? Do they need to buy on line now as they are already on sale, but the freshmen don't have friends yet to sit with. Please advise!</p>

<p>Admission to UM sporting events is free to students! Students have a separate entrance gate and just show their Cane cards and are admitted. Transportation (metro and shuttle bus) to/from the games is also included. There is a students' section, lower tier near the open end zone, and seating is general admission, just find a spot for you and your friends. The games are a lot of fun.</p>

<p>THanks for the info on tickets to football, etc. I went to a "Big Ten" school and we had to buy season tickets.. UM seems to give back lots to the students, or include some perks in the steep tuition!!</p>

<p>NEW QUESTION:
Lofting beds. Whats the policy/procedure for doing so? Thanks.</p>

<p>crazed-LOL-Everytime my S tells about something that's free, like tickets and laundry, I think to myself ,"Free, I guess that's what you think when you're not the one paying the tuition bill!" :rolleyes: It is very nice though that UM does provide a lot to its kids "free". Most schools do not.</p>

<p>I bumped up a thread about moving logistics. There's lots of good info there and one of the threads is about lofting.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the great info my-3-sons and ladyconfused have been providing. This has been a lifesaver for this mom. By the time I get to my #2 son I should have some of it figured out!</p>

<p>My-3-sons: how many sons in college? Where?</p>

<p>ladyconfused,
I am so grateful that you are answering questions in this really weird time of year for me. I have an "ASAP" kind of question. I chose Tulane to go to after visiting it because I could NOT decide b/t miami and tulane at all and had to by that day (it was may 1st) and i was going insane...and i think, for my major's sake (music performance,) I may not have made the best choice. I have heard that it's possible to call immediately or email immediately the admission office to see if there are potential openings in the class of 2011...but, do you think that there would be? Also, do you think that it would be worth it, IF they have room, to accept admission here?</p>

<p>Jeremybeach:
I don't know for sure, but I have seen on other threads that students changed their minds and called the Admissions office and were allowed entrance after May 1. After all, they wanted you in the first place. Call, you have nothing to loose.</p>

<p>(And if UM doesn't allow you to enroll now, do not despair. We have heard only wonderful things about Tulane.)</p>

<p>I have nothing against Tulane. it is GORGEOUS! I mean, the only flaw is the major. Everything else is amazing and I would be satisfied completely. But, if I am thinking that I want to do music, Frost is much better than Tulane's i've heard :P</p>

<p>yea id call man! we are by no means the admissions office and dont know how many ppl enrolled. there still might be space. I know a couple of my friends that made last minute switches after may 1st and were able to get in however these where bigger state school such as Michigan State that have a lot more spaces. Eitherway, im sure u shouldnt have a problem, ur not that far off from the May 1st deadline.
UM is a pretty good place to do music, i mean they even haave practice facilities in one of the dorm buildings aside from the Music School Building :P</p>