Ask a graduating senior...

<p>ajaku3714;</p>

<p>I guess I am just a naive person. Care to contribute?</p>

<p>Ps:
I guess I forgot the football players and their groupies…</p>

<p>Appreciate the feedback. I think the best for me is to come and visit. Thinking about first week of April. I am thinking of the Neuroscience program too in U of Miami and the Biomedical engineering program is also in contention. I do like the option of applying to med school in the sophmore year.</p>

<p>Coleonaroll-- what did u major in? Can you tell me about the neurobio or psychobiology majors at UM?</p>

<p>Thanks for this thread coleonaroll. My question is about the school of communication. How god is it? and from there what’s the most popular major people choose?</p>

<p>I meant to say good* lol</p>

<p>coleonaroll, i just meant that it isnt as hard and fast as you make it sound… partiers still have to study, and even people always in the library usually go out and do stuff on weekends. also i know a few engineers, and they hang out with everyone else, not just among themselves</p>

<p>coleonaroll, what about economics in the school of business (undergrad), is it good??? i am an international student and am currently applying to 6 schools. you think it is a good university for economics or business in general?</p>

<p>Coleonaroll, Thank you for such an informative thread. All the information shared here has been very helpful.</p>

<p>I want to ask a question, straying away from academics. How large is the Indian(brown) population at UMiami? </p>

<p>I am going to visit the campus soon…</p>

<p>themeaningoflife-- im wondering the same thing. im indian too!</p>

<p>COLEONAROLL…how do u feel about the workload at um for freshman year? Thanks!</p>

<p>Btw coleonaroll, ur posts have been very informative thank u!</p>

<p>I’m not sure whether Cole is still actively checking this topic, so I’ll offer my input.</p>

<p>I don’t normally pay attention to ethnicity too much, but I do have a few Indian friends who go here. I can put you in touch with one of them if you’d like.</p>

<p>I think workload in general, including during freshman year, is largely dependent on your major as well as the AP credits you have, and the strength of your high school. For me it was manageable, but not too easy. Some people I know came in and thought it would be a breeze, and took 18+ credits in their first semester, and ended up failing a few classes; other people were afraid it would be too hard, and took the minimum 12 credits to be considered a full time student, and ended up getting straight A+'s and A’s. I recommend taking 15 credits, and figuring out how you fit in. Just be careful not to get too comfortable if you do well, because in biology, at the very least, the classes get harder very quickly as they increase in level.</p>

<p>I’ve been accepted into UM with a 24,000 scholarship. I want to go as a pre-med student. I really want to be a member of faculty, but right now that’s what I want, I don’t know if I’ll find it boring, that’s why I’m going pre-med, just in case. But was accepted as a Bioengineering major and I was just wondering if that will screw me over for pre-med?</p>

<p>coleonaroll,i was wondering if you knew anything about the PRISM program? is it worthwhile or is it unnecessary? also, did you use AP credits to get out of the first few bio/chem/calc classes or did you start from the bottom? i’ve heard many people say that even if you have credits, you shouldn’t use them in your major. is this good advice?</p>

<p>“Coleonaroll-- what did u major in? Can you tell me about the neurobio or psychobiology majors at UM?”</p>

<p>I actually minored in psychobio. Word on the street is that they are integrating the curriculum for neuro and psychobio though. In my humble opinion neuroscience is the best major you can possibly pick at UM. Let’s face it, the biology department at UM blows big time. Most classes are a hit or miss, but I found all my neurobiology classes to be both exciting and very fair. While most of the professors in biology adhere to strict grading curves, they don’t in the neurobiology classes and so most of the people get A’s. Also, I was able to take anatomy and physiology in other departments, whereas biology majors must take it in the bio department (read as you don’t want to). Advising for neuroscience majors is the best on campus. Really, though, I must make the point that if you are premed there are certain classes you MUST take and there is no away around them or the professors who teach it here.</p>

<p>Chemistry is also another great program here (my opinion second best).</p>

<p>“coleonaroll, what about economics in the school of business (undergrad), is it good??? i am an international student and am currently applying to 6 schools. you think it is a good university for economics or business in general?”</p>

<p>I have only taken two classes pertaining to business here: micro and macroecon. They were both fairly easy classes. I really can’t speak too much about business undergrad. I can tell you that there are a lot of good looking girls in the business schools though.</p>

<p>I’m pretty sure there is an international business degree. I do know that UM does NOT rack up well with bulge bracket firms on the street. My buddies at Vandy and Harvard and Yale got gigs as analysts this coming year and I have really never seen or heard of anyone from UM getting such a position at Goldman. I don’t know if this is your ultimate goal or not, but if you just want a business degree and don’t care about the Street then UM is a good choice. I guess they have pretty good recognition around Miami?</p>

<p>“coleonaroll, what about economics in the school of business (undergrad), is it good??? i am an international student and am currently applying to 6 schools. you think it is a good university for economics or business in general?”</p>

<p>Well, I must say that you are well represented here my friend. There are a fair share of Indian students here. There are also a lot of VERY wealthy Middle Eastern kids here, I’m talking Mercedes CLS, Ranger Rovers, BMW M3, you get the picture.</p>

<p>Again, I can’t really speak about economics or business as I don’t really have any knowledge of the programs. As always work hard anywhere and you will shine. I can promise you though, that getting a gig on Wall Street after you graduate will be near impossible if that is what you are gunning for…There are very good looking sorority chicks in the business school also (which is a perk).</p>

<p>“COLEONAROLL…how do u feel about the workload at um for freshman year? Thanks!”</p>

<p>I came from an AP heavy and dual enrollment hs so most of the classes I took freshman year were basically repeats of information. My hs was very rigorous with most students going on to IVY and whatnot schools, so college transition was seemingly effortless (and probably less competitive). I may not be the best person to answer this, but I found it very managible, as did my friend from hs. What gets most students is that they end up getting caught up in socializing and meeting new people and they forget that this is college. Some end up Groving and Sobe’ing every night and don’t study so they screw up there first semester.</p>

<p>Right, as Rankinr noted classes do get progressively harder in the chemistries and biologies. I did not have the pleasure of taking Bio 150 or 151 here (AP credit) but my guess is that they could be challening as they should be weed out classes. I know that one teacher supposedly is very difficult and another has a nasty curve. Once you go to the 200 level for Bio things do get tough so I DO NOT suggest taking genetics or cell/molec as a freshman. I can’t imagine taking cell/molec with scromne as a freshman straight out of hs…</p>

<p>“I’ve been accepted into UM with a 24,000 scholarship. I want to go as a pre-med student. I really want to be a member of faculty, but right now that’s what I want, I don’t know if I’ll find it boring, that’s why I’m going pre-med, just in case. But was accepted as a Bioengineering major and I was just wondering if that will screw me over for pre-med?”</p>

<p>Woah, slow down there bud. Take college as it is before jumping into career plans. The best advice I was ever given was not to expect anything, take things as they come. With that said, Bioengineering is a wonderful major. No, it will not screw you over in any way. Reread my comment I made earlier about pre-med. There are 3 steps to the game and ANY major will take you there. Lots of people get the false notion that they must go a certain route to become a doctor and that is not true at all. If you like bioengin. major in it, find some exciting research project here or abroad and do it. You will be a stellar candidate for an MD, PhD, or MD/PhD by then.</p>

<p>As far as academics vs. medicine remember you can be an MD and still do research. You won’t decide if you will be PP or academic until your early 30s so please don’t think about it now…</p>