UMiami - Financial aid?!

Hi, so I’m applying to the U of M as a RD applicant solely because I wanted the opportunity to take the SAT one or two more times to raise my 1440 score. I really, really like the U of M, but hear that they are TERRIBLE with giving students FA since they’re a private institution. My parents make well over $110K combined, probably close to $200K/yr to be honest. Nonetheless, my parents are definitely going to push me to attend the school that’s most generous with FA for us, especially because I plan on matriculating into med school. Can someone confirm the FA situation at U of M for me, or provide some insight that might give me an idea about what to expect? **Granted I actually get into U of M in the first place…

That will probably be your experience at most colleges. Did you complete the FAFSA to see your EFC? Did you run the UM net price calculator?

You would probably benefit most from schools with good merit aid! Good luck! :slight_smile:

Hey! UM is actually very generous with financial aid for students who need it (me, for example). If your parents income is close to 200k, I’m not sure how much they’d be offering you. Remember there’s also a scholarship the school offers aside of FA. I recommend you to start applying to scholarships online. The Scholly app is a good app to find lots of scholarships. Apply to everything you can, you never know what you’ll be getting. I wish you the best of luck and hope everything works out for you to become a cane!!

@UMspringT what about for families that make $90,000 to $100,000? Thanks

Remember the tuition alone is 48k, you got to add room expenses, meals, etc. so it’s somewhere between 65-75k a year. I would expect them to help out, because they cannot expect your family to contribute more than half of their yearly salary. I know in the ivy leagues if your parents make less 100k, they will over the tuition fully, and some other expenses that are insignificant compared to the tuition. I’m not quite sure if UM works with the same system @BigHerms

Have you run their Net Price Calculator? That should give you some idea of expected costs.

I agree @austinmshauri

I have done the net price calculator. How accurate is that? And thanks @UMspringT and @austinmshauri for the input

I think it’s pretty accurate, it might not be the exact number, but more or less that amount

I just took a look at UMD’s online NPC and it has 2016/17 COA loaded in there ($42,792), so that starting point is incorrect, as this year’s OOS COA is $51,417. https://financialaid.umd.edu/NetPriceCalculator/
https://admissions.umd.edu/costs

Regardless, for income over $99,999 and an OOS family of four, NPC projects a cost of full COA. UMDs NPC does not include merit aid. Lastly, NPCs are sometimes not accurate in cases where the parents are divorced and/or own a small business.

My parents are divorced, so that definitely makes it even harder for us to predict what we might get. Anyhow, I would just like to say I greatly appreciate all of your replies, and definitely will hope for the best!! If I don’t attend UM undergrad, maybe I will be able to attend for grad school or something. My biggest regret is not applying EA, as I know they have much more scholarship opportunities for EA applicants. I was so set on raising my SAT score and deeply regret not taking the opportunity to apply, especially when UM requires no supplements! But I digress… Thanks again!! :slight_smile:

What I can tell you is that UM is very big on students to be well rounded. Meaning they want kids that are not only good in academics, but have some sort of impact on their community. Projects outside of school play a big role at UM, I realized that when I applied for freshman year.

For any of you that might be interested in UM and do not get accepted as a freshman, do not worry. You can always transfer once you have at least 30 College credits, so they do not ask you for your high School stuff anymore. My scholarship as a transfer student was actually larger (15k per year) than for freshman year (5k per year). Getting accepted as a transfer student is actually way easier than freshman year, so don’t feel so defeated if everything doesn’t work out your way for now.

I have faith in all of you, and if anybody wants more personal information about experiences in Miami or if I could be of any help, don’t be shy and send me a personal message!