Bachelors in nursing to becoming a doctor?

<p>Is it possible to become a doctor (ex: physician ) after getting a bachelors in nursing (RN)?</p>

<p>how do you mean possible? You get into medical school like everyone else. I know a DR who started out an RN. I know a cardiologist who majored in political science as an UG. </p>

<p>The background isn’t that imp-you take the tests and apply to med school</p>

<p>I have read that a person with a BSN typically has to take some additional classes to meet Med School prerequisites. Some people also complain that if someone wants to be a MD, they shouldn’t have taken a seat in a nursing school, considering so many people are turned away each year. </p>

<p>There are plenty of advanced educational/career opportunities for a BSN, including Nurse Anesteleologist (spelling) (who make more than many doctors), Nurse Educators (in very high demand) and Nurse Practitioners.</p>

<p>I have heard someone started as a RN and went to med school! so im sure you have hope. actually that’s what i’m trying to do. I don’t see any problem with that. achieving higher education is always a good thing. and i don’t see why med school would look you in a bad way. RN trying to become practitioner, they have to go additional schooling but less authority than MD. that would be a good reason why you want to do MD program after RN. good luck with you!</p>

<p>charlieschm makes good points of the extended roles nurses can become. I have worked with 100’s of nurses and doctors. I have never met a doctor who started as a nurse. I only know one nurse who went on to become a chiropractor so in reality, I don’t think it happens very often. </p>

<p>And interestingly, I recently met a doctor who was the son of 2 doctors who went back to school to become a nurse.</p>

<p>Agree with LakeMom as always. We do have a friend who began her career as an RN, then went onto Med School and now is a Pediatric Surgeon; another friend started as an RN and is now a Pediatrician. I know that this adds no value. My advice: listen to LakeMom.</p>

<p>thanks cecilturtle. Hope things are going well with your daughters schooling.</p>

<p>A bachelor’s in nursing to become a doctor is not a good idea. It will probably take you up to five years to finish that bachelor’s and on top of that a BSN is not easy at all. Also, there is such a shortage of nurses in the field that you shouldn’t be taking a spot in the school to only work for a few short years after that sot that you can become a doctor. My suggestion to you is to just focus on setting up your medical school application because it really doesn’t matter what you major in and you can work on other extracurriculars at the same time.</p>