Bama Bound 6/20/14

<p>Is anyone familiar with the whole orientation process? So far, I’ve only been able to locate the time orientation begins and where to park. Does anyone know where students/transfer students meet for orientation check-in?</p>

<p>Students should check their crimson email for information and a parking pass.</p>

<p>@fieldjsoe89 Check-in is at Ridgecrest South.</p>

<p>Here is link to info you want.</p>

<p><a href=“http://orientation.ua.edu/dates/schedules/2014-freshman-transfer-one-day-schedule.pdf”>http://orientation.ua.edu/dates/schedules/2014-freshman-transfer-one-day-schedule.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Thank you both for the information. I had the list, but didn’t have the location of the check-in.</p>

<p>Just reminding, if you are meeting a friend or a future roommate, and want to room together during BB, you need to check in together (assuming you’re staying in the dorm during BB).</p>

<p>OP, are you a parent? If you are and are not already on it, join the Parent 2018 UA facebook page. There are many many posts about this year’s orientation on that site. DS and I already went to BamaBound. There is an 8:00 check in at Ridgecrest South on the day of the orientation on the 2nd floor. There are many students there directing your way. There both you and your student will get your schedules. While you are waiting for your day to begin, fill out your student’s permission form if he/she is under 19 so they can use the Recreation Center. Then you and your student are taken by bus to a building where you can get information about some clubs, dining etc (and free t-shirts) before a welcome speech. Afterwards you are split up from your student. You stay there for informative sessions. You are then taken to the stadium for lunch and then to your student’s college where you are in the back of the lecture hall while their counselor’s give them registration information. After this, you are dismissed with your student. They need to go to the SupeStore to pick up their id’s (and get a picture with Al). You have “free time” when you can go to the honors house, or wherever, to get more information. You then go to dinner at Lakeside (free for both of you). My student went off with his new friends after this, later went to the Rec to play. The next morning the parents meet at the capstone hotel for a nice breakfast and speech, and then we are led to another building in small groups to talk to the student ambassadors, where we can ask specific questions of these students. Our students are registering at this time. Finally there is a presentation from housing and the campus police for the parents. This ended around noon. That is Bama Bound in a nutshell. Hope this helps.</p>

<p>My mom won’t be attending Bama Bound with me. Is there any important information at the parents’ session that will not be given to students?</p>

<p>No problem, here’s a link to the Parent Orientation Presentations for 2014.</p>

<p><a href=“http://parents.ua.edu/poPresentationsFromOrientation.cfm”>http://parents.ua.edu/poPresentationsFromOrientation.cfm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Terrific summary, kjcphmom! Makes me want to go through it all over again! ;)</p>

<p>In my summary, I should have added that the parents only ride the Crimson Ride once in the planned activities, and that is from Ridgecrest to the meeting building. After that the parents walk, trailing an Advanti student. There is quite a bit of walking so for those who have difficulty, they may want to contact the school ahead of time. Unfortunately on one of our walks a mom fell down and hurt herself so an ambulance had to be called. I don’t think it was serious, but I felt bad for her as she was embarrassed.</p>

<p>Some Advanti and Honors College Ambassadors drive the UA golf carts. if you have a mobility issue perhps you could arrange beforehand for a ride. I would start by contacting the Honors College if needed. If you have your own car, you could drive yourself to the next location. Just be careful where you park.</p>

<p>I’m going to Bama Bound this coming Monday and Tuesday. I was wondering if tennis-shoes, athletic shorts, and t-shirts would be appropriate clothing for the event. Thanks!</p>

<p>Oops, forgot to ask my other question: if my parent is not attending parent orientation, are we allowed to leave after registration is done on the second day? (I have an something going on at home that evening–and it’s a six hour drive back–so the earlier we can leave the better.)</p>

<p>Inklinggirl, if you visit the Facebook page for the University of Alabama Supply Store, you will find albums of photos of BB students with Big Al and therefore can see how others dressed. </p>

<p>You can leave when registration is over. </p>

<p>Yes & Yes. :slight_smile: My son was finished by 10:45, so I skipped the remaining parent sections and we hit the road since we had a 9 hour drive ahead of us. Have fun! </p>

<p>Has anyone here attended any of the one day BB sessions? Seems like a lot of info to cram into one day. Do the kids have enough time to complete their schedules? We are scheduled for the last one before move in on 8/15/14 because of the distance(13 hour ride) and just curious if it will be worthwhile.</p>

<p>pgddad, we attended a one day BB on June 30th. Granted this was my second BB (son will be a junior this fall), and my daughter already knew alot about Bama and had worked a lot on her schedule ahead of time…but this one day BB was well worth the time. You will learn a lot! Let me know if you have any specific questions about your upcoming BB. :)</p>