Bama Bound June 18-19

<p>Hello all - we are heading back down for Bama Bound for the June 18-19 session - anyone else attending that session? Anyone from the northeast? We are from NJ and was wondering if anyone from our area was going to the same session :)</p>

<p>There is a meeting/activity room with a television and plenty of seating to the left in the lobby of RCS. It would be a great place for all of you parents who attend the same BB to meet up. The students usually have semi-organized activities in the evenings in the north tower around the common area on the second floor. Have fun!</p>

<p>Smrsson, if I remember right you were taking your first trip to Tuscaloosa with your son to visit campus, etc a couple of weeks ago. How did it go? Did you enjoy yourself?</p>

<p>We had a great visit - we both loved the campus, met with a greek Ambassador, had dinner on the “strip”, saw a movie right near the hotel - and everyone was so friendly! My son is going there and is really looking forward to it - the only problem is getting there isn’t exactly convenient. We are from NJ and I haven’t been able to really find direct flights so we always have to stop and the flights aren’t exactly cheap but we both really liked it so we will have to figure it all out. I am sure he wishes it was closer so we can visit more often but once he gets involved with school and fraternity things he won’t even realize how fast the time will go. Thanks for asking!</p>

<p>^^^You will find that most flights from the Northeast require a change of planes. The flights are much more expensive than from some other areas and there are not many discounts available either. The best way to deal with this is to book flights as early as possible or to use alternate transportation such as Amtrak which gives a student discount. The Amtrak travel time is approximately 24 hours (doable but long).</p>

<p>smrsson, airfare prices can very depending on when you purchase the ticket. I’m flying up to Newark after finals for $120 one-way, which is very reasonable. Of course, my one-way ticket from Newark to Seattle was $100, but that was a really good sale. :slight_smile: Delta has a nonstop flight from LGA, but it arrives in BHM late at night and leaves BHM early in the morning. Connections are really simple once one gets used to them and those willing to make connections will often find lower fares and more flight options to choose from.</p>

<p>Thanks Sea tide - hopefully once I get more organized I will be able to book things well in advance. He just recently decided to go to UA so everything has been pretty much last minute which is why I haven’t gotten great rates - $120 one way to Newark is great - what airline was that and how far back did you book it? How many stops?</p>

<p>I’m flying Delta with one connection and purchase my tickets whenever the price is reasonable. Connections will usually be in Atlanta, Detroit, or Memphis. I have elite status on Alaska, which also grants me elite status benefits, mainly free bags, priority seating, and the occasional first class upgrade, on Delta and American. If you sign your son up for their American Express (you can be a cosigner, but he has to be the primary account holder), he would get a free checked bag and priority boarding when flying Delta. There is an annual fee ($95, IIRC), but that is quickly covered by the extra miles one earns by using the card and the 20% discount on buy-on-board food.</p>