Bama Bound

<p>What is “Bama Bound” and when can students register?</p>

<p>Sent from my SCH-R760 using CC</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Orientation. My email confirmation from last year is dated 2/23, so I would imagine some time next month if they follow the same time frame.</p>

<p>Damond3, they save seats in classes and open a few up for each BB. :slight_smile: </p>

<p>Going when school was still in session did not work for our family because we all wanted to visit the campus for BB. I am a teacher and did not want to take time off of work, and my younger daughter wanted to participate in the sibling orientation. We treated it like a family vacation. No rushing there and back.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>No, not at all. Honors students don’t really have “priority” registration for first semester freshman year. (After that they do, and it’s a HUGE perk). There are honors Bama Bound sessions before regular sessions, but not all spots available in a class are released right away. For instance, they might release 2 or 3 spots in an English 101 section at each Bama Bound. So a non-honors student at the 6th BB session has as good a chance of getting a seat in that class as an honors student at the first session. The advantage kids who go to the early sessions have is the ability to jump back in when new seats are released at each subsequent BB session and try again. </p>

<p>If you don’t go to an early BB session, you’ll still be able to get classes. And even if you’re in honors you don’t need to go to an honors BB session. My D’s roommate, who is in Honors, went to a regular BB session in June and that worked out fine. During the honors BB session we attended last year there was an Honors College reception, but it was very crowded and it also overlapped with a required session D needed to attend for her college. Missing the reception would not have been a big deal at all, and I’m sure an honors student could drop by Nott Hall during a regular BB session and meet the honors college folks and it would be considerably less crowded. I don’t recall what the other differences are between an Honors session and a regular session.</p>

<p>This year everything has said registration for Bama Bound starts in “Early February” but there has yet to be a date announced.</p>

<p>For Parents that attended last year, did you attend everything on the parents schedule, did you stay on campus, or off?</p>

<p>S stayed in dorm, D and I stayed in hotel. S did student orientation, D did sibling orientation and I did parent orientation…we were all going different directions :)</p>

<p>D and I both stayed in the dorms. She was in RCS-north, and I was in RCS-south. I went to all of the parent programs except for one that was of no relevance to me. I chose to stay in the dorms because I thought it would be convenient, and it was. Plus I met some nice women who shared the suite with me.</p>

<p>My S stayed in the dorm. My H, D and I stayed in a hotel. I would have liked to meet more parents while there and would have had I stayed in a dorm, but we decided that we didn’t want to rough it. Hee! Hee! Loved having a tv, large bed, etc… Anyhow, there was a reception for parents in a room in the dorm one night and I was able to meet several CC parents at that time.</p>

<p>How early do people tend to get there the night before? I would like my S to stay in the dorms both nights. Just wondering if we don’t get to Tuscaloosa till 8-9 pm if that is too late. It says on the schedule that check-in is till 7 but I wonder if we could prearrange something if necessary. Our only non-stop flight option gets into Birmingham at 7 pm.</p>

<p>Lisa6191, there were parents who came later and someone at the front desk was there to check them in. </p>

<p>It was just and my S when we did BB. I chose to stay in the dorm and was glad of that choice. The beds are not that comfortable but it was very convenient.</p>

<p>Can the BB students request specific roommates? That is, if DD and one or more of her intended roommates attend the same BAMA Bound, can they stay together in the dorms???</p>

<p>How about moms? Can I request to be roomed with a CC gal-pal (or two or three???)???</p>

<p>TXArchitect, the BB room assignments for the students and parents are done at check-in. If students (or parents) wish to room together, they can if they check in together.</p>

<p>For our current Freshman S, it was a great experience last summer. He stays in touch with 2 of the 3 roommates from Bama Bound, and my wife and I became fast friends with the parents of one of the roommates as well. Our S stayed both nights on campus, and we stayed off-campus in a nearby hotel. The schedule is rather hectic, and we would just meet up from time to time throughout the day.</p>

<p>The single best piece of advice I could give would be to have a generally good idea of the classes your student will want to register for well before the session they will have with their department while at Bama Bound. If your student thinks they are interested in Mechanical Engineering, for example, contact that department now and request the class flowchart for the disciplines you are interested in now so you can start looking for classes.</p>

<p>While it is true that the majority of the classes for the first two semesters are fairly straightforward, it can vary widely based on AP credit meeting core requirements, etc. I tend to be a visual person, so I used a week at a glance template from Word, and started laying out the available sections to see what would fit. I can send the document to anyone who wants it.</p>

<p>Yes, sections will fill quickly. This is why it is important to be prepared with different scenarios rather than scrambling during. My S was done picking his classes in 5 minutes because he was prepared. It really helps and lowers the stress significantly.</p>

<p>I really enjoyed staying in the dorm when we went to Bama Bound last summer. My son stayed with students and my DH and 16 yr old D and 14 yr old S filled up a suite. It was very clean, the kids enjoyed hanging out with other siblings in the game room and everyone got their own bed. Worked out well with my snoring DH on the other side of the suite! ;-). We met parents in the reception room of Ridgecrest as well as during the various programs. I found it quite nice that I struck up a conversation with someone next to me in every session. People from near and far, it was so nice, everyone was so nice. I am glad we stayed there.</p>