Bama Cheerleaders

<p>My daughter is planning on trying out for the cheerleading squad at Bama if she goes there. She has been looking at the cheerleading websites for the colleges that she is most interested in so she has most of that under control. I have some questions though. Do any of you know if the cheerleaders are able to go home during breaks (Fall, Thanksgiving, Christmas?) I’m kind of thinking that if she is able to come home at all it won’t be as long as the actual break is. I’m pretty sure Thanksgiving will be spent in Bama. It says on the cheering website that there are some type of scholarships for the team members - anybody have any idea what they are? Some of the colleges give in state tuition to the team members - that would be awesome! </p>

<p>Karen</p>

<p>* Do any of you know if the cheerleaders are able to go home during breaks (Fall, Thanksgiving, Christmas?) *</p>

<p>They probably can go home, but have to be back for any games (Iron Bowl, other bowl games.).</p>

<p>This year, Fall Break is a bye week. Don’t know if that was co-ordinated or not. </p>

<p>I don’t know what scholarships are available. You’d probably have to contact the person who is charge of that area.</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.rolltide.com/sports/c-cheer/alab-c-cheer-body.html#00[/url]”>http://www.rolltide.com/sports/c-cheer/alab-c-cheer-body.html#00&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>CHEERLEADING/BIG AL INFORMATION</p>

<p>Our cheerleading program consists of two squads with a minimum of: White Squad ( 7 females and 7 males ) and Crimson Squad ( 7 females and 9 males ). We also have 3 mascots ( Big AL ) . The White Squad cheers for women’s basketball, gymnastics, volleyball, as well as, all home football games. The Crimson Squad cheers for all home and away football games and men’s basketball. Members of both squads are eligible for spots on our Nationals competitive squad.</p>

<p>Cheerleaders are expected to schedule their classes around the practice times determined by the coach. In addition to practice time, the cheerleaders are required to attend weight-lifting and aerobics sessions.</p>

<p>TRYOUT INFORMATION</p>

<p>The try-outs for both squads are held in April each year. On the first day of clinic all candidates will be evaluated. The Cheerleader Coach will approve which squad each candidate may audition for after demonstration of skills. Candidates are evaluated at each clinic session thereafter, and those candidates remaining on the tryout roster until the final clinic will advance to the official and final tryout.</p>

<p>A complete application, which is located on our web site, along with an official letter of acceptance from the Admissions office and a copy of a physician’s physical examination release dated within the past 12 months must be received by the Cheerleader Coach one week prior to the first clinic.</p>

<p>Squad members are awarded scholarship money towards their University tuition.</p>

<p>FORMS & MORE INFORMATION</p>

<p>2011-2012 Cheer Tryout Information<br>
2011-2012 Cheer Tryout Information Letter<br>
2011 Cheer Tryout Co-Ed Requirements<br>
2011 Women Only Cheer Tryout Requirements<br>
2011-12 Big-Al Tryout Info<br>
Tryout Requirements Score Sheet</p>

<p>I did find an old letter and it looks like scholarship amounts are determined each year…</p>

<p>Scholarship Information
Scholarship amounts for the 2011- 2012 season have not yet been determined.
</p>

<p>Since this was from an old letter, certainly the amounts for the current year’s squad has been determined, but I don’t know how much it was for.</p>

<p>This looks like the contact person…</p>

<p>David McDowell,
University of Alabama Coordinator Cheer Squads
Director of Mascots
Mail all forms to:
David McDowell/MaryJo Grant
University of Alabama
1201 Coliseum Dr. Room 163
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487
Phone: 205-348-3636
Fax: 205-348-2675
Email: <a href=“mailto:dmcdowell@ia.ua.edu”>dmcdowell@ia.ua.edu</a></p>

<p>My daughter cheers at Bama now and here is how it is this year. For fall break and Thanksgiving if the group your daughter is in is on for cheering there is no switching, so they will need to be at that game. For Christmas if you live 3 hours away from Ttown you are exempted from being at the games, other wise you will need to be back to the game. </p>

<p>Coed is this year $2500.00 and All Girl is $1000.00 per year for scholarship. Unfortunately if you live out of state you pay out of state.</p>

<p>The info given below is outdated, David is no longer UA’s cheer coach. Jennifer Thrasher is the new coordinator. Email, <a href=“mailto:thrasher@ia.ua.edu”>thrasher@ia.ua.edu</a></p>

<p>They are having a fall clinic November 20, check out the cheer page, it will give all the info. This way your daughter can showoff and they can meet her before try-outs.</p>

<p>Thank you so much Bamacheer! I kind of figured that she would have to stay there for Thanksgiving and Fall break. We live in NJ so she would be exempt from the Christmas game unless she wanted to stay and cheer right? Are they able to be at home for the whole Christmas break? I wish that she could come down on Nov. 20 but our high school football team is in the playoffs and she is one of the captains of the sideline team. Also the flights are ridiculous right now. Is the all girl team new this year? Are they going to compete as an all girl team at nationals or will it just be co-ed? My daughter met oneof the coach’s husband, Happy Hooper (?) at World Cup All Stars here in NJ. </p>

<p>Karen</p>

<p>Bamacheer1: Do you know if the cheer squad will still compete at UCA? Just wondering if they are going to more of a sideline cheer team and less of a highly competitive team with the coaching change.</p>

<p>I sure hope not, they are so talented!</p>

<p>This was in an earlier post…don’t know if this applies to your question…</p>

<p>The White Squad cheers for women’s basketball, gymnastics, volleyball, as well as, all home football games. The Crimson Squad cheers for all home and away football games and men’s basketball. Members of both squads are eligible for spots on our Nationals competitive squad.</p>