Bama here we come!

<p>What is the typical cost of the policy?</p>

<p>I looked it up, for us $3000 policy $25 deductible was only $97 annually. I need to do a little more research but in theory it looks like a good idea.</p>

<p>Call your homeowner’s insurance agent before you buy dorm insurance. I contacted ours last year and found out our homeowners policy covered son’s dorm contents.</p>

<p>It typically does cover, but may be at a much higher deductible and typically does not cover things like accidental breakage of PC.</p>

<p>I think MABama is right. . . our homeowner’s policy would cover dorm contents, but the total value of everything D would have in a dorm room is less than our deductible (which admittedly is pretty high), and it wouldn’t cover accidental breakage.</p>

<p>1). We have USAA: took out a renter’s policy for DS for $97/year and $250 deductible for $3000 in coverage. He is covered on our homeowners but to lower our deductible to $500 would have cost $313 so the renter’s policy was less expensive.
2). We added a computer endorsement to our homeowner’s policy for $9.72/year for $2500 coverage. It was cheaper to add the computer endorsement to our homeowners rather than to his renter’s.</p>

<p>We went with CSI Insurance – $126 dollars for $5000 coverage with a $25 deductible. We chose this option because our deductible on our homeowner’s policy is higher than the total value of the contents of daughter’s dorm room (including computer) and because the CSI policy covers accidental damage, including damage to computers and phones from spilling liquid on them or dropping them, which our homeowner’s insurance does not cover and which is probably more likely than a total loss of the contents of her dorm room.</p>

<p>So, we need to do this…</p>

<p>Do you just call these dorm insurance places and make the request for coverage?</p>

<p>I need to get this for my son in grad school. He’s already moved in …is that a problem.</p>

<p>No, you can add anytime and looks as though it becomes effective as soon as you make payment.</p>