Bama style tailgating graduation party

<p>It’s funny, just an hour south of here, even the Golden Arches offers sweet tea!</p>

<p>micky d’s offers sweet tea here, but it is not the same…</p>

<p>Any recipe for sugar free?</p>

<p>Omit sugar?</p>

<p>You can use Splenda or Truvia but start with 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup per gallon. It will taste sweeter with those after it cools.</p>

<p>for the sugar free, try to get your hands on the liquid artifical sweetner. It holds the flavor better in the iced tea. Still put it in when it is warm, but not hot. Too hot and you may get a funny taste from the artifical sweetners. </p>

<p>Actually, my southern grandmother used to use liquid sugar in her non-diet tea too.</p>

<p>Actually, although I am a Northerner,I believe that sweet tea should be sweetened with a simple syrup, sugar will not dissolve properly and the tea will have a slightly granular texture.
Simple syrup is very simple to make: combine equal parts sugar and water and heat over a medium flame, stir until all the sugar is dissolved.
Store simple syrup in a closed jar in the fridge until needed.
You can sweeten a container of tea or leave the tea unsweetened and serve little pitchers of syrup for your guests to sweeten the tea themselves.</p>

<p>or that ^^^. You can buy basically the same thing, I think it may be a pure fructose. IT may keep better. I use liquid artifical sweetner. </p>

<p>I tend to burn sugar when I try to melt it!!!</p>

<p>^^^^^ the key to not burning the sugar is to have enough water and to stir before you place on the flame and keep stirring through the heating process, this is not as tedious as it sounds since it will only take a few minutes. You’re right, the goal is to just heat and dissolve, not burn (lol)…</p>

<p>yea, the problem I have is that you have to watch it too…multi tasking and cooking sugar do not pair well- as I have demonstrated on many occasions.</p>

<p>Seeking Knowledge - Is your son’s party this weekend?? If so, have a great time and let us know how it goes! Take pics and maybe you could email them to me! Good Luck!</p>

<p>Sending a big thank you to everyone that helped me make DS’s tailgate party a huge success. We ended up with two big tailgate tents decorated with Bama banners and balloons. The Million Dollars Band was playing proudly. Fried Chicken, cole slaw, potato salad, and watermellon fed over 100 tailgaters from visiting teams. Both students and parents sported shirts from their colleges. Everyone really took part in the theme. </p>

<p>DS’s sisters surprised him with a offical Bama regulation size beer pong table that was a huge success (water pong only at this tailgate). They also played football and frizbee. </p>

<p>I made 6 gallons of non-alcoholic yellow hammers and 6 gallons of sweet tea. Every drop was gone by the end of the night! It was hot, so tons of bottled water was consumed, but the cooler of soda was barely touched.</p>

<p>The adults really liked the real Yellow hammers. Many parents had smiles on their faces as a result. I think I should have posted a warning about the yellow hammer kick!</p>

<p>Party was on Sunday. I thought everyone would head home between nine and ten. To my surprise, we still had about 40 fans here at 12:45. So, again, thank you for all of the great ideas. You helped make a very memorable night for DS! Roll Tide!</p>

<p>What a beautiful send-off for your son. Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>Sounds wonderful!!! I’m hoping my daughter wants a similar theme next year!!</p>

<p>ChristineF – my thoughts exactly – I hope I’m in a position to be throwing an Alabama themed graduation party next year because seekingknowledge has given us the perfect template!</p>

<p>ChristineF: Students and parents alike, had a great time singing the fight songs from their schools and chants common to tailgates at various universities. DS had downloaded a few from Bama, Ole Miss and our state flagship to play in during our party. Before I knew it, I felt like I was really at a tailgate! It was great to see so many graduates and parents so excited about the future.</p>

<p>One other food I forgot to mention was nachos. I served a giant bowl of nachos, crockpots of cheese sauce and all the trimmings. I purchase the “paper boats” that they are commonly served in and let the kids build them the way they wanted. What a hit!</p>

<p>Thanks paying4, but the credit goes out to all of the Bama CC community! DS really wanted this and you all helped me pull it off. I wouldn’t hesitate to serve the BBQ like many suggested. The only reason we went for fried chicken is that almost every grad party this year served some version of pulled pork, BBQ beef and the like. It was just time for a change in this neck of the woods.</p>

<p>Again, I can’t tell you how popular the yellow hammers were (both kinds). Perhaps it was because it was new to most…I don’t know…but I have had several calls for the recipe already.</p>

<p>Now, back to putting the last of the party items away…</p>