Bed Lofting

<p>I know when I went on the campus tour, they talked about how the university had a service for lofting beds. Do you have to make an appointment for them to come loft your bed beforehand? Do you take care of that during orientation? </p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>when i visited they told me they come on move in day and are in the lobby and you just tell them you want your bed lofted and they do it</p>

<p>You can set it up before hand or do it when you get there. I would recommend beforehand because it will be all set up before you try to move in. Lofting really gives you a lot of extra space. Look in the thread titled “Bad Dorms?” for pictures I posted of my daughter’s room where she has a loft so you can see for yourself. There is a few involved. </p>

<p>Here is the link to the only company Miami lets you use for lofts:</p>

<p><a href=“https://www.bedloft.com/[/url]”>https://www.bedloft.com/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>SVMMom - do you remember what the fee was to loft a bed? Also, can both beds in a room be lofted - seems like you’d really increase your floor space that way?
~Zinc</p>

<p>Just click around on the link I posted. There are different options and they show the prices. </p>

<p>Yes, you can have two lofts in a room and it greatly improves space available. I also recommend getting a carpet remnant as the floors are just linoleum. They have a truck that sells reasonably priced (I believe they were btw $40 and $150, depending on size/quality) rugs that will be on campus during move-in.</p>

<p>If you loft your bed, make sure you have a futon to sleep on for those nights you can’t make it to your loft.</p>

<p>My roommate and I didn’t loft our beds freshman year and I actually preferred. Rooms with lofted beds usually had a futon and then TV/fridge/etc on the other side, so there was only room for 3 or 4 people to sit. My roommate and I had our beds on the floor so when we had people in our room, there were plenty of places to sit. I also got freaked out the one time I climbed up onto my friend’s loft. It’s a personal preference though, just my two cents.</p>

<p>[Personalizing</a> Your Room | University of Miami](<a href=“http://www6.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/1,1770,42701-1;42954-3,00.html]Personalizing”>http://www6.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/1,1770,42701-1;42954-3,00.html)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>D will be a freshman in fall 2011. Her roommate says that she saw a room where the bed was half-lofted. Any idea what she’s talking about? Possibly just the standard risers that you get at BBB?</p>

<p>If you don’t loft your bed, is there space in a freshman dorm for a fridge (3.2 cubic, not the tiny square kind)?</p>

<p>Neither my roommate nor I lofted our beds… what we did is we put our fridge between the two beds, under the window, and the TV on top of the fridge. This, of course, blocked the view from our window and was kinda inconvenient.</p>

<p>That being said, I recommend you just go with the bedloft service.</p>

<p>my d wants to loft her bed, to gain space underneath. </p>

<p>Roommate doesn’t want to loft hers, and has mentioned a variation, of half-loft. We’re trying to figure out what she means by that…</p>

<p>She either means the bed risers you can buy or we did see some kids with a home made type riser that allowed for a mini-fridge (not the tiny ones, but the taller ones) to go under the bed, along with some storage shelving. They made them out of two by fours.</p>

<p>Zinc mentioned a bedloft thread, thought I’d go ahead and bump this relatively informative thread from a while back.</p>

<p>I paid $200 for my loft this year. It’s such a rip-off and they have a monopoly since they’re the only ones allowed to loft (and the price just keeps going up…) but what else can you really do? The space is nice, though.</p>

<p>Oh, and you order online and they install them before you move in.</p>

<p>In all the pictures, there’s like a couch or futon underneath… does that not come with the loft? Is it correct that if you merely pay for the lofting service, you’ll walk into a room with a bed above-ground and absolutely nothing underneath it?</p>

<p>Yes, if you loft the bed there will be nothing underneath. I believe you can also rent a futon from the bed loft company. My son purchased a small futon that folds out to a bed for guests from Ikea in Sunrise, FL for $150 [SOLSTA</a> Sofa bed - IKEA](<a href=“Products - IKEA”>Furniture - Shop Furniture Online & In-store Near You - IKEA) It is small enough that he can still fit a mini fridge next to it with a microwave stacked on top of the fridge. He actually rented a zipcar and squeezed the sofa in the backseat (after removing the packaging at the store) to transport it to the dorm. He plans to store it over the summers and use it as long as it holds up.</p>

<p>I would definitely arrange for the bed loft to be set up beforehand. My daughter didn’t make her college decision until the very last minute and missed the bed loft deadline. On move in day, there was a lot of confusion and disorganization at the bed loft tent. It took a couple of days to get it set up. Many othe people were still waiting when we finally got ours.</p>

<p>

That one looks pretty nice! Glad to hear that it also fits the way you described, as that’s how I’ve seen it setup in some photos. I assume it fits length-wise when you pull the bed out, too, right?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>You don’t get the futon unless you rent it from them or buy it yourself. Both my roommate and I have bed lofts, so on one side we have the tv on top of the microwave on top of the fridge and her trunk next to that. On the other side I have a bucket chair and she has a bean bag chair with a little cube coffee table in between. Makes a nice little family room area.</p>