To loft or not to loft????

Does anyone know anything about lofting beds at UM? I’ve checked out the bedloft website and it looks like something to consider, but if anyone has any information on how close to the ceiling you’d be sleeping and how sturdy the lofts actually are, that’d be much appreciated!

Unless you are on one of the high floors of the freshman residence halls, the ceiling ends up being pretty close to the actual sleeping space. Most students do not loft their beds and, if they do, end up having the loft taken apart soon after move-in. D1 had tons of space in her room without lofting. I had bought bed risers at BBB, but ended up returning them because she didn’t need them. The risers raise the bed by maybe 6" and provide more space beneath the bed for storing stuff, but restrict access to the bolster on the wall.

If you do a search on this topic, I think you’ll almost find a new thread from every year. The results will be very mixed - there is no right or wrong answer. I had 2 boys there who both lofted and kept the lofts all year. It allowed them to have a futon under one bed, and a nice setup for a tv and gaming system on the other side. It also provides a nice space for the fridge, microwave and a set of drawers for snack items on the tv side. It’s really about weighing the pros vs the cons. Good luck!