Best Journalism programs on the West Coast

<p>Hello,
I am a current high school Junior with a high interest in becoming a Journalist. My question is what schools on the West Coast have the best Journalism programs? I am a current CA resident and I am in the top 10% of my graduating class. I hope to go to a school with a great Journalism program, access to good internships, and can have a great college experience. I know that some CSUs have good programs but I do not like the commuter-lifestyle they have.
Well thanks!</p>

<p>See post above on USC’s Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism</p>

<p>I know USC’s program is pretty good but I am unsure I can pay for it. My parents are in the middle class (70-75 thousand dollars a year) so affording a big institution like USC seems highly improbable. Unless USC offers great financial aid?</p>

<p>Can anyone please give me some more insight into the journalism/communications programs on the west coast? please?</p>

<p>glo,
USC admissions are need blind. A student’s ability to pay has no bearing on his/her admission. USC is committed to meeting each student’s USC DETERMINED NEED. Aid is determined by the FAFSA, CSS Profile and parent and student tax returns. Over 60% of the freshmen entering in 2011 received financial aid. Merit scholarships were received by 23% of the entering freshmen. Some received both.</p>

<p>OP, San Diego State has a really solid and respected j-school, and good grades might also get you into their honors college, which is akin to a smaller, private school with its own dorm amid the bigger university. It’s very affordable. You might also look at Chapman University’s very respected Dodge School, but the tuition is akin to USC.</p>

<p>Depending on where you are in CA, there are several great Journalism Schools which you should check out. My current school, The University of Nevada, Reno, has one of the few accredited Journalism Schools on this coast. The University of Oregon has a great communications program as well. One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of J-Schools get hidden in Communication Departments. Nevada is going to have a great mix of lower tuition and a great education! What part of Journalism did you want to go into?</p>

<p>The reason I didn’t apply to Oregon and some other journalism schools in smaller communities is that there are practically NO internships, which are CRUCIAL in this business. I have been honored to be accepted at USC Annenberg. Was also accepted to UNR as well. </p>