best nursing schools!

<p>“I have much more insight to nursing programs then your Mom being a Nurse Manager(recruiter)…”</p>

<p>Doing what? The topic was hiring based on school…do you hire? We aren’t discussing just nursing programs, we are discussing what it means to have graduated from certain schools during the hiring process. If you work at an expensive nursing school than I would say you were biased…</p>

<p>However, from what I can remember of your posts when I was frequenting these boards as I was accepted to and declined nursing school, I think you’re a parent who has visited schools. If this is correct than I hope you are kidding about your statement of knowing the effect of the name of the school on the degree more than a nurse that hires.</p>

<p>So if you don’t mind me asking, what insight do you have? Rather than just saying “I know more”.</p>

<p>“I wasn’t referring to Nursing programs, but schools in general…”</p>

<p>But, nursing schools is the area we were talking about. That is why I said you were right in the case of many degrees, but not nursing.</p>

<p>As for the “many nurses want to go down different paths” statement, that is true. Yet I would still say any 4 year BSN program can lead to these goals. It is SO much more important as a nurse for advancement to perform well on the job. If you think advancing in nursing has anything to do with the college you hold your degree in is, I would say flat out…you’re wrong.</p>

<p>“AND contacts/connections are significant” WHAT school does not have contacts to aid their students in employment opportunities after school? I think you are the first person I’ve ever heard concern themselves with connections for nurses.</p>

<p>“You get what you pay for, whether you an education ,automobile,or home…Following your logic,buying a Lexus would be a waste as a Kia does the same thing,gets you to your destination…” </p>

<p>This is a fallacy. Just as your statement about why people whack pricey schools was a fallacy. Philosophy 101 is something you might look in to. </p>

<p>This is simply not true for nursing. Passing the NCLEX as Joe-Blow U in Nowhere, Arkansas=Passing the NCLEX @ Vanderbilt. </p>

<p>You still have done very little to convince anyone that your statement of pricey educations for nursing is worth it at all. Saying “Buying a lexus=buying a KIA”, “People say that when they can’t afford it”, and “I know more than a recruiter” has provided no support to your argument.</p>

<p>This is simply not true for nursing. Passing the NCLEX as Joe-Blow U in Nowhere, Arkansas=Passing the NCLEX @ Vanderbilt. </p>

<p>You can’t be serious…if you want to say “pass” the test is pass the test,i might or might not agree, BUT getting an EDUCATION at Vanderbilt is NOT the same education your getting at Joe Blow U…</p>

<p>I think you would agree college is much more then the degree you earn,??? If everyone had your “idealism” there would be nobody attending Nursing programs in places like Columbia U, or U Penn…i guess those people that go there are not as quite as intelligent as yourself,as they are fools to pay that tuition ;)</p>

<p>plscatamacchia:What is it ? Nursing or finance?</p>

<p>plscatamacchia
Junior Member</p>

<p>Join Date: Jun 2009

<hr>

<p>My wife and I will both graduating nursing school with a combined debt of 60k. Is this a reasonable amount considering a salary after taxes of about 72k-80k combined? </p>

<p>We will not own a house for several years and we both have fairly new cars that are paid for. </p>

<p>Is it more than just “manageable”? Will we be able to live comfortably?</p>

<p>Was accumulating this amount of debt for a nursing education worth it?</p>

<p>EDIT: BTW, this is a starting salary. Both of us will also be in a fully paid for graduate program (work pays) and in 2 years should be grossing 100-110k. </p>

<p>plscatamacchia
Junior Member</p>

<p>Join Date: Jun 2009

<hr>

<p>Hi, </p>

<p>I am a rising junior at a less than reputable business school (University of Mississippi) and have recently come to the point where I must declare a major. </p>

<p>My GPA is a 4.0 and I have not had trouble with any of my core classes. </p>

<p>I am having a tough decision deciding whether I want to major in Economics and minor in Math or major in Finance and minor in Economics. Either way, my classes economics would be focused on international trade.- I am wanting to be able to travel a lot and am trying to learn at least 2 languages by the time I graduate. </p>

<p>Which of these would be the SAFER bet for getting a well paying job out of college?</p>

<p>You’ve yet to tell anyone why you have any authority to say you anything about the process of hiring nurses.</p>

<p>And I find it sad that you looked up my posts to make that comment. As I said, I did not accept my entrance to Vanderbilt. </p>

<p>I have a feeling that because you are getting off the point that you must have made the mistake of paying astronomical amounts of tuition for your child to get a nursing degree yet in the end he/she will have no leg up on any other person who has passed the NCLEX and received a BSN. That’s okay, at least you can feel good for paying 5x the amount of tuition to give him/her the “college experience”, right?</p>

<p>"Columbia U, or U Penn…i guess those people that go there are not as quite as intelligent as yourself,as they are fools to pay that tuition "</p>

<p>I guess not, because anyone paying the tuition at these schools simply to receive a BSN are indeed foolish. They get the same starting salary and same opportunities as anyone who graduated from a CUNY nursing school or whatever state schools exist in Pennsylvania. </p>

<p>Before you post I ask again. WHAT inside knowledge do you have with the nursing hiring process?</p>

<p>EDIT: You CONTINUE to discuss college in general rather than the nursing degree. OF COURSE a stronger school is better in 99% of circumstances. Nursing is the 1%.</p>

<p>Let’s just say my “insight” is at a signficantly higher level then Nurse Manager(recruiter)…Furthermore, are you a nurse or in the financial field??? Your comment about the sub-par school,err LESS-REPUTABLE(your words,not mine) you attended seems like you WISHED you attended a better school?</p>

<p>And i still wonder how as a junior you were studying business, and 12 months later you’re a nurse!!! Talk about getting your degree on an accelerated track…</p>

<p>Please refrain from the nursing threads if you are a business major,or was it accounting,or economics :)</p>

<p>And i’d NEVER regret paying for ANY education my children want…It’s only $$$$…But i can assure you,they will have little if any debt for any school that attend.</p>

<p>OP, if you’re still around and haven’t been scared off…</p>

<p>UVA is a very good school and has an excellent women’s crew team. They have a direct-entry BSN program which must be very competitive to get into – UVA by itself is competitive and the BSN program is being cut slightly for budgetary reasons so they’ll be accepting less students. Since you’re interested in crew, it may give you a leg up (no pun intented…). </p>

<p>Also, APPLY EARLY. That means this FALL (or earlier if you can).</p>

<p>Ummmm…never told anyone this, but I actually do think buying a Lexus or other premium car are generally a waste of money since cheaper vehicles get you to the same place and use less gas. I’ve never been impressed with people who believe a label automatically equals increased value. Likewise, I’m not impressed with the folks who always assume the store brands are a better value. </p>

<p>Isn’t it really about whether a particular program is a fit for a student’s career goals? Rather than the status of programs, it would be more useful to speculate about the availability of clinical experiences, faculty ratio, teaching styles, etc.</p>

<p>It makes no sense to argue about whether an apple, pear or mango is generally the better choice of fruit.</p>

<p>Penn has a good study abroad program for nursing - both semester and shorter term options:</p>

<p>[Study</a> Abroad](<a href=“http://www.nursing.upenn.edu/admissions/undergraduate/Pages/Study_Abroad.aspx]Study”>http://www.nursing.upenn.edu/admissions/undergraduate/Pages/Study_Abroad.aspx)</p>

<p>Neonzeus - I agree with you about not getting caught up in the Lexus/luxury aura. My D eliminated some schools after visiting and seeing too many signs of wealthy status symbols in the student body. That comes back to fit again because another student could easily choose differently based on their own preferences.</p>

<p>Forget status, as that is unimportant,in my opinion.BUT, a Lexus is a better car then a Kia, as is a Toyota and likely VW…Similarly, an education fro U Penn is significantly better then say, Frostburg State… Saying one is wasting their money because they bought a Lexus, or decided to attend U Penn,or such is ridiculous…The choices the OP has are some excellent schools, of which few,if any are inexpensive…Most would be considered “pricey”,but that is his/her choice, and to say they are wasting their $$$ was NOT the question</p>

<p>Best of luck in whatever school you pursue</p>

<p>Wow! This thread has become a train wreck. I can’t remember reading a post on the nursing forum where anyone was critical of another person’s choice based on cost…until this thread.</p>

<p>If you (and your child) don’t think there is a difference in quality or experience between nursing programs, then by all means send him/her to the least expensive college you can find. Clearly some of us think that some colleges (and cars) are worth paying more and are making that investment with our own funds and for our children. The OP can decide for her/himself which choice is best for them.</p>

<p>To the OP:
If you’re interested in BC and in studying abroad, I wanted to let you know that a semester abroad is possible at BC. I know a nursing student at BC who is going to spend spring semester Junior year in Europe (and who is very excited about it, too!).</p>

<p>thanks so much everyone! I was away on vacation so I didn’t see these posts…but I really appreciate the input. I will keep searching and considering options…</p>

<p>Northeastern has also modified their schedule to allow nursing students to study abroad during their first semester sophomore year.
They offer a 5 year program, but the student attends only 8 semesters of classes. The added year is for 3 coop experiences, which is really what sold us on the school.</p>