Best Schools for Undergraduate Aerospace Engineering

Certainly congrats are in order for the acceptance! It’s a very good program. To say there is no better place is really a stretch though. The “best” place will be highly individual based on MANY intangibles.

4 Likes

Fantastic … Congratulations for Purdue. Purdue is supposed to be cheaper that other state schools and very, very good program.

Just out of curiosity - when he applied, did your son pick a second major at Purdue, besides Aerospace ? I’m asking because we are saying to ourselves, just to feel a bit better, that maybe my son was rejected because he also picked a second major and they pushed him to the second major. His second choice was Engineering Technology and he got accepted there and received scholarship as well … well, he doesn’t want School of Technology.

Update as of today - Ohio is out of his interest.
Narrowed down to UVA and UF.

I forgot to mention - UVA offered him work-study.
He is worried that his program will be so difficult that he will not have time to work.

1. Any idea how what kind of jobs are included in the work-study offer and how demanding are these jobs ?
  2. Can these jobs lead to an internship, or they are not related to the major ?

The student must find his own work study job. They can range from cleaning trays in the cafeteria to working in a lab on a favorite professor’s project.

Obviously, working food service doesn’t lead to an internship but it can be stress free and not take much time. Working the desk in the department office might lead to an internship (being in the right place at the right time). Most work study jobs are 10-20 hours per week, are usually flexible if you have a big exam one week, etc. Most students can find 10 hours to work per week, and even welcome the ‘justified’ break from studying. Many find having a set schedule useful in forming good study habits (have to study at 2 pm on Tues because have to work 4-7 on tues night).

1 Like

What kind of jobs are available depends on the campus. Work study is a subsidy of the student’s pay, so qualifying jobs will fave work study students (but may refuse more hours than the work study amount).

Or he can get a job off campus at double the pay - and given the labor market, he’ll find most employers flexible. My daughter is doing banquets at a hotel - has to sign up one shift a month - but can do what she wants. $18 an hour. Work study isn’t going there.

I actually don’t recall on the choices he made, but everyone goes into FYE at Purdue, not directly to the major, so the choice isn’t really meaningful until major is declared sophomore year, I think. Alternatively, Exploratory Studies at Purdue is another pathway to then choose a major to go into, including Aero, etc. if grades meet the requirements.

My son was rejected from Purdue School of Engineering and accepted to Purdue School of Technology (his second choice). Apparently is very difficult to transfer from a school to another, especially to aerospace.
It’s ok - he has other good choices and also is a life lesson - not everything he believes he deserves, will come his way.

4 Likes

Congrats on the acceptance nonetheless. Where is he headed or leaning ?

Even thought Polytechnic might be his second choice (I’m assuming that’s what you’re referring to in “School of Technology”), it’s important for him to know what that means. They offer engineering technology, not engineering. It’s a different career path. They are both important, but they are different.

2 Likes

Eyemgh - indeed, at Purdue, he was accepted to engineering technology, with a $10k scholarship, which I am hearing is rare. I guess Purdue wants to raise the value of School of technology and that’s why the very generous offer.
I looked a bit into it, he didn’t. He wants aerospace and since he has aerospace choices cut Purdue out of his mind.

4 Likes

Ha ! - our saga didn’t end yet.

My son just received his acceptance at Georgia Tech after was deferred the first time.
Out of your experience, no scholarship for deferred and accepted students, right ?

We need to tour the school - never counted on acceptance to it, therefore we have very little information about it.

4 Likes

Congratulation for Georgia Tech acceptance. For engineering GT is excellent. If you can afford for him to go to GT, it will be the best option for his engineering degree. You should find out about the FA from GT first. Maybe you can call the FA office and ask them about it.

1 Like

There are only 56 ABET accredited AE programs in the US. Outcomes, including salaries and placement, aren’t radically different across the bunch. Grads from Utah State and Alabama Huntsville get good jobs. Georgia Tech has a great reputation, but at the end of the day, won’t be grossly different than the other options. Incurring debt, or paying grossly more than the other acceptances probably isn’t wise.

5 Likes

Last Friday, my son was also accepted to Georgia Tech after being deferred in the EA round.
We are overwhelmed and very proud of him.

While before his short list was UVA or UF, now it changed to UVA and GT.

Facts:

• UVA is closer to us (NJ) than GA

• UVA is a bigger school than GA and he wanted a bigger school

• by now UVA is cheaper - waiting for GT financial package although I’m not sure if deferred / accepted kids get any

• UVA seems to be a safer school (based on some reviews I read about GT)

• GT is no 1 for engineering - like an IV League, the name carries a lot of weight that would be a value all his life

• GT’s facilities and opportunities for aerospace seems to me unbeatable

• I read that GT programs are way more challenging - majority of the kids are depressed and cannot graduate in 4 years (5-6 years) - this really worries me, my son is such a happy strong young man, I’m sure he will conquer GT but I don’t want him to be miserable in college

• I read that there is a gun acceptance policy in campus - this is a really red flag for me. I don’t think my son ever saw a real gun in his life (me neither). Not saying he will do something stupid, but it’s enough to be in the wrong place at a wrong moment - please excuse my paranoia.

I am leaning towards UVA with big, big regrets he will miss an opportunity of a lifetime.
He will decide …

1 Like

You may want to create your own thread for comparing these two schools rather than post on the UVA forum. That way you can tag both UVA and GATech… so people will see it.

1 Like

Congrats! You’re down to two excellent schools!

UVA has great opportunities for engineering… so I don’t think you should feel much regret turning down GT for UVA.

Has your son visited both schools. They have very different atmospheres and vibe. Does he have a preference? If not, I’d go UVA and then just forget about GT.

The gun thing is likely state dicated. We do similar things in Tennessee - because the more guns the better - not.

I’m with you. But hopefully he’ll never see one.

The only time I recall seeing a gun (outside of police) in TN is when I was leaving a business client and he came out to my car before I left because this moron accidentally left his piece in my back seat. I was like - never ever ever bring a gun in my car again.

In TX, I see them all over holstered.

Both schools have super positives. Pick one and don’t look back.

No one will ever look down at a UVA engineering grad if that’s the way you go.

And frankly, your outcome will likely be similar - and i’ll say that about 50 other schools. There may be some extra stellar opportunities at these top schools - but there will be also some that will hire UVA over Ga Tech. For the most part though, Ga Tech kids will work side by side with Auburn, Alabama, Arkansas, UCF…you name it kids. I’ve seen it with my son’s internships, at my company, and when looking at companies online via linkedin.

Not only does your kid need to enjoy it but mom has to be comfortable too. Ga Tech is decidely more urban, very close to downtown - and when kids leave campus, that’s why you’re likely seeing increased crime. For what it’s worth though, Niche rates Ga Tech a B for safety and UVA a B- - they use stats.

There’s no wrong answer here - so make it, don’t look back, and in four years, he’ll have a great job - frankly whereever he chooses to go.

Best of luck.

Laws Concerning Carrying Concealed Firearms on Campus in Georgia » Armed Campuses

I see the post was moved from UVA only… more people who know engineering will see it here. :slight_smile:

First, I really like both these schools. And I feel your son’s decision needs to be based on where he is most comfortable and feels he will be able to fit in socially and academically. The campuses and locations are very different.

GaTech is a campus full of “nerds” and they are proud of it. The kids I know there definitely struggle at times, but they like that challenge and adopt a “we’re all in it together” attitude. I think that will be found in the engineering college at any school… engineering is challenging everywhere. GaTech kids definitely socialize, participate in clubs, LOVE the sports (even when the teams aren’t good).

UVA has a bit of a private school vibe in its campus and the students. There is a different feel in the student body since it is not a STEM focused school. Greek life there is more prominent than at GaTech (this is simply an observation, not a negative or positive). UVA students also love their sports and have beautiful facilities. Charlottesville is a charming small city and that area of VA is gorgeous.

There are other posters who can better compare the engineering.

Regarding the conceal carry, the state of VA also has a conceal carry law (though not allowed on public campuses, I believe, but how would that be enforced?). And unfortunately there have been several gun-related incidents on the UVA campus and in the surrounding area in the past few years. So if campus gun-violence is a concern, I suggest reading more about that (on both campuses) rather than the carry laws.

I did not want to post a negative on the UVA thread where kids are celebrating their acceptances. We know many kids at UVA who were in lockdown while last year’s shooter was still at large; it was a frightening time. My D’s school, an hour away, was on high alert until the shooter was apprehended. However, this in and of itself would not prevent me sending my kid to UVA if it was otherwise the best fit.

Edit: The reason many GaTech students do not graduate in 4 years is due to co-ops rather than not being able to meet the academic requirements. If that is important, your student could forego co-ops during the school year and opt for summer internship(s). This would be the same at any school, but the stats stand out more at schools where co-ops are the norm.

1 Like

We are in-state for Georgia Tech and know many kids who go there. Everyone we know loves it. Engineering is hard everywhere, but at Georgia Tech everyone is working hard, because it is 70% engineering and computer science. I would think engineering would be more difficult to handle from a social standpoint at UVA, because most will not have nearly that time demand in their major. I know architecture students at UVA often run into this - much more time demanding than many other majors. My expectation is engineering is the same. Georgia Tech kids work hard but manage to have a lot of fun if they want to.

As far as job placement, a Georgia Tech degree will get you places that a UVA engineering degree may not. Here is a list of the top feeder institutions for engineering powerhouse companies. Georgia Tech is number 2. Virginia Tech is near the bottom of the list. UVA is unlisted. Top Feeders to Engineering.

Interestingly, on this table Georgia Tech is listed for Lockheed Martin as the school with the highest percentage of graduates working there.

When we toured UVA engineering with my oldest (admitted, but choose Georgia Tech) both of the students we interacted with were in-state and chose UVA for engineering because they also had an interest in business/consulting. One had a business minor. There is more of an inter-disciplinary approach at UVA so if that is appealing, that may sway your child. My son as a high school senior wanted strictly engineering, but is actually working for a consulting firm this summer.:crazy_face:.

I think if your child is absolutely confident in his choice of engineering as a major Georgia Tech is a no-brainer. If you think your child may not want to do something STEM based and wants the option of being a history major for example I would choose UVA.

As far as the campus carry issue, it is truly a non-issue at Georgia Tech. To legally carry on campus you have to be 21 which excludes the majority of undergraduate students. Of those who could actually carry a gun on campus, why would they? You can’t have it in the dorms or in athletic facilities or an any school building. There was a school shooting at UVA in the fall. The disallowance of campus carry didn’t make a difference in that tragedy.

I love UVA, have a degree from UVA, but have kids at Georgia Tech as well so have experience with both schools. There is truly no bad choice, but if all things are equal for engineering, Georgia Tech would be the winner in my book.

3 Likes