Bienen School of Music's competitiveness in terms of academics

From what I understand, NU will make the final decision on whether or not to admit a students based on their academic application and regardless of the music audition results. So are their some flexibility for music students with a little below average scores?

For instances, the student’s score is in the mid-1400s (for SAT) instead of the 25% mark (which is high-1400s) with a solid GPA.

I know there was another thread like this previously, but that was from 9 years ago.

The academics for Bienen applicants do have to generally be in line with school norms, but I wouldn’t say admission is ‘regardless of the music audition results.’ There’s likely some academic stats give, for some applicants, but nothing approaching the give for some athletes.

Regarding test scores, if you are talking about applying this year, NU is test optional. You/your student can also ask their AO for guidance on whether or not to submit the score. I would also encourage an ED app, if NU NPC shows affordability (obviously too late for this year if you are a senior.)

1 Like

From what source did you get this misinformation ? Absolutely incorrect as one’s audition is of paramount importance even though the applicant must also qualify academically.

1 Like

What I heard from my students last year:
Among several universities like U Michigan, Johns Hopkins, Rice, Northwestern, etc., during live audition, Northwestern was the only one asking for SAT/ACT scores (for the audition judicators to see). It was an optional question but it was on the student information form.
A very strong string student (national awards, NYO, etc.) with decent academic (<1500 SAT, large public school top 20-25%) was accepted (eventually decided to attend a conservatory).
These information alone may not imply anything. It seems to confirm that Northwestern has a gate on academic but Bienen holds high value on music performance. If you can find one current student in the studio you are applying to, you may want to ask them for more accurate information.

2 Likes

My understanding is that once admitted as an undergraduate to Northwestern University, students can transfer to any of the schools within the university except the Bienen School of Music–which requires an audition.

hopefully someone can confirm or correct my understanding about the first part of my response (as Bienen definitely requires an audition).

1 Like

The academic standards for a highly qualified music applicant are definitely not as strict. Our HS had someone accepted last year with a gpa and sat significantly lower than non music applicants. This is also known to be true for MT applicants

1 Like

It’s my understanding too. Bienen takes audition really seriously.

2 Likes

I should’ve used different wording. I know that the audition is crucial to getting in Bienen but I’ve heard is that NU admissions will mainly consider the academic side. I was wondering how much leniency they give to music students in terms of academics. Hope this helps clarify my question!

Yes, it does clarify your question.

My best guess is that between the two the audition is the more important simply because any student who auditions is applying for the Bienen School of Music.

1 Like

You may want to find some real Bienen students to verify this. My impression from my students’ comments is that if your SAT score is below 1400 you may need to be the best candidate to get in; however, if you’re that good, Colburn or Curtis would be a better fit. Bienen students are required to take classes in other disciplines and are required to pass.

1 Like

This may be hard to determine as there are many factors at play with music acceptances.
My kid did not audition for Northwestern, however several years ago auditioned at a total of 6 schools: Curtis, Juilliard, NEC, USC, IU and UMich.

He was a strong student but without outstanding rigor. SAT was around 1420?

He was accepted to all schools above except UMich. From a music standpoint this would have been considered a safety. So our guess is that he was not accepted based on academics. But this is only a guess. He never inquired because he had such great offers at other programs.

My advice is if your musician is in the ballpark academically and musically and a highly selective academic school is in consideration, proceed with your application and auditions.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Not a reasonable statement. Much depends upon one’s primary instructor in their instrument & much depends upon the individual student.

Curtis Institute promises a lot, but the reality for graduates is not as rosy as suggested according to several recent grads.

To the poster discussing U Michigan, Northwestern is not Michigan. Of course, admits to Bienen will be expected to have very strong academics, but not necessarily stellar academics.

You would think that Northwesterns academic standard would be higher? But as I posted above there was a music applicant from our high school who had a 1420 SAT and a weighted gpa of 4.2 (probably top 30% of the class) who was accepted to Northwestern, Vanderbilt, BU and Michigan. I am not 100% sure who it is so I cant tell the level but if it is who I think they are their level was very good but not outstanding.

1 Like

right. I only know string players and that’s what they said.