Big List of MT Colleges: By State

<p>Texas State is already on the list. Is this something different than is on the Big List? I know about the new happenings there already but can’t tell if you have something new to add to the Big List that is not already on it?</p>

<p>sorry about that, missed it.</p>

<p>Texas State now requires an audition and it’s marked on the Big Chart that an audition’s not required.</p>

<p>The most updated Big List is in post #2. It was updated in December. If you look at that list, Texas State is not marked as non-audition. That’s because their new program does require an audition and the old list was from before that change was implemented at Texas State.</p>

<p>I’m not sure if the distinction matters, but in researching MFA programs I’ve found that the University of Nevada program is a THEATER MFA that includes Musical Theater courses (in addition to classical and contemporary theater), not a specifically Musical Theater MFA.</p>

<p>Thank you for pointing that out. I have researched it now myself. One of UNLV’s MFA programs is in PERFORMANCE (not referred to as “acting”). The Performance graduate program includes many styles of theater. Musical Theater is ONE of the styles studied. While the degree is not in MT, MT is incorporated in the performance studies, and so it is not strictly just an acting MFA. I will note that on the Big List for UNLV by revising it.</p>

<p>As a reminder, the most up to date Big List with ALL current revisions is in post #2.</p>

<p>I am not sure if you are trying to compile both “theater” and MT degree schools on the "Big List:, but here are some additions for the State of Washington:</p>

<p>University of Washington: BA Theatre, MFA Acting</p>

<p>Seattle Pacific University: BA Theatre with performance emphasis (SPU also has a vocal performance major through the school of music)</p>

<p>Seattle University: BA Theater</p>

<p>Pacific Lutheran University: BA/BFA Acting</p>

<p>As far as I know, the Big List is just MT— with the addition of straight theater and acting it could go on forever! :)</p>

<p>It really is meant to be MT colleges. This is the MT Forum. Also, there are far less MT programs than Theater ones. Not to mention that almost every college has at least a BA in Theater or Drama.</p>

<p>Thanks CollegeMom. Another note you might want to add is the MFA program for Central Florida only accepts MT applicants once every three years. That means it looks like anyone who has missed applying for the 2010 group will have to wait until 2012 for 2013 apps to go live.</p>

<p>It also seems, unfortunately, that the same is true for University of Nevada’s program. How unlucky that both are on the same schedule!</p>

<p>More frustrating news: SDSU, which is a two year program, has also only just closed applications. Doing the math once again, it looks like their next application wave will begin in 2011 for classes starting in 2012.</p>

<p>My D is in her second semester, freshman year, of this school. I think it is a gem for the price. They auditioned hundreds for 25 MT spots and took the best. Six of her classmates have already not been asked back for the spring semester. You have to audition to get in, but it is really difficult to stay in. I first heard of this school when we went to see In the Heights on Broadway…many of them attended New World School of the Arts. They also have a superb performing arts HS.</p>

<p>By the way, in the senior class this year there are only 5 or 6 left who made it through MT. They have the NY showcase, etc. and the world class New World Symphony. My only complaint is that there is no dorm. Other than that, it compares favorably to my daughter’s experience at Circle in the Square (NY) and New York Conservatory of Dramatic Arts, where she studied in summers.</p>

<p>Wow, this list is really helpful! </p>

<p>Just one note–it’s not possible to pursue the MT minor at USC while doing the BFA. Here’s what a USC faculty member said when I asked him if the BA students could do the MT minor (I thought only the BFA students could):</p>

<p>“Actually, the MT minor only applies to the BA program. The BFA program takes up too many units for them to have a minor or another major.”</p>

<p>So that might be good to know for potential BFA applicants!</p>

<p>MODERATOR REQUEST:</p>

<p>Let’s keep this thread just for updates on the Big List…such as programs to add, revise, or remove. </p>

<p>This thread is not meant for discussion of specific programs. That is why the Big List thread was originally a locked closed thread. I opened it up for people to give input on revisions and updates to the Big List. </p>

<p>For discussions of specific schools and programs, please start new threads in the main MT Forum or if there is an existing sub forum for a specific college, post there. </p>

<p>CC loves this kind of input, but likes to keep the threads organized. This thread here is just for the Big List and not discussion. </p>

<p>Thanks everyone for your contributions! :)</p>

<p>Oh dear, I’m terribly sorry if that was aimed at me. I just thought that the way it’s currently written might be a tad misleading to people who think they can do the BFA and the MT minor. </p>

<p>I’m sorry!</p>

<p>Nazareth college near Rochester NY has a growing BA MT program</p>

<p>wisdomsomehow:
No worries. I understand your point. The way the listings are simply indicates the types of degrees offered and not necessary how they might be combined. For instance, Marymount Manhattan has a BFA in Acting and also a MT Minor but typically the MT Minor is combined with the BA in Theatre Arts and not with the BFA in Acting, much like you pointed out with USC. </p>

<p>Purple9:
Nazareth is on the Big List already, thanks.</p>

<p>Stefmom:
Welcome to CC. You may wish to start a NEW thread on New World School of the Arts.</p>

<p>Western Michigan University only accepts 12 students per year, and therefore is a selective school.</p>

1 Like

<p>BA in MT at Samford University in Birmingham, AL. By audition only.</p>

<p>LollyL: Welcome to CC. I have now added Samford University to the Big List in Post #2 which is the most updated list. </p>

<p>JaredLee: Welcome to CC as well. First, I am not the person who designated the programs with a “+” symbol for most selective. However, ALL BFA programs are very selective. Selectivity is not simply based on how many students are accepted, however (you noted only 12 are accepted to WMU). That number just reflects the size of the program. Selectivity involves the percentage of those admitted out of how many apply/audition. Smaller programs are not necessarily more selective than bigger ones, for instance. Further, selectivity involves the relative strength of the applicant pool. A school that draws from the top talent pool on a national scale is more selective than a school like WMU that draws more from a regional pool. The “+” designation is for the most selective programs, but doesn’t imply that the other programs are not selective. Most BFA programs are very selective.</p>