Binghamton School of Management question

If my son applies to the SOM and doesn’t get in, does his application automatically go into the Harpur pool? Thanks!

I believe - and this was from 5 years ago when I applied - that when you apply, you can choose a first and second choice. Like some people would rather apply to SOM but be considered for Watson if they don’t get into that. So you can mark Harpur as your second choice.

Yes, you can have a second choice. I have asked the admissions dept. It is a double edge sword, but here is my take. Some students know that they definitely want to do business. They may not know if it is Accounting, or Management etc, but they know they want business. If a student knows that from the get go, then I say just apply to SOM. Yes, it is a risk becuase they may outright reject you . But, on the other hand, it may force their hand to say, hey, this is a strong student, let him in the SOM.

I just feel that if you give Bing an “out”, they will almost always put someone in the other less competitive school. The problem with that is, it is very difficult to transfer to the SOM. It is possible, do not get me wrong, but it is not easy. Why put that pressure on oneself?

If it were me, I would take my best shot and let Bing either accept me from the start as a high school student, or reject me and I would simply go to another school to study business. Lord knows there are plenty of excellent business progroms for SUNY ALBANY, BUFFALO to BARUCH, NYU , FORDHAM, RUTGERS, ST JOHNS COLLEGE OF NEW JERSEY ETC ETC ETC

Yeah I agree with euve69. If you are dead set on buisness and don’t get into SoM you should probably look elsewhere. I wish binghamton had a business program that let you apply after your first year like a lot of other schools have but they have really limited resources so they can only take a set amount of students after high school (and the very occasional transfer).