Transfer from Harpur to SOM

got into Binghamton but not for SOM… if I take the spot at Harpur that has been offered to me it impossible to gain entry into the SOM eventually? I have heard varying opinions, with some saying it’s extremely risky and competitive and others saying it’s not hard and many of their friends have successfully done so. I would feel upset passing on a school as great as Bing but why go if I don’t have my desired course of study (accounting)? Thanks for the feedback.

Where else did you get in and how much would it cost?

*To compare apples and apples:
(Tuition fees room board) - (grants, scholarships) = …

The state schools are all really cheap for me because of the excelsior scholarship plus more financial aid.
Binghamton would be about 14k
Buffalo and Albany I got into the business schools directly. Would cost about 9.5k for either. (Got a 4.5k merit scholarship to both)
Still waiting back for financial aid from Syracuse but definitely not counting on it.
I’m definitely leaning towards Albany- I’ve heard for accounting it’s almost as good as Binghamton and they built a brand new business school recently. I also would rather not go to Buffalo even though it is ranked higher than Albany, because it is way too far, cold, snowy, and I could see myself more interested in potentially living in the Albany area down the road more than Buffalo. I’m also from LI so it is doable in a day trip unlike Buffalo.
The thing is- Albany as a whole is not nearly the same caliber as Binghamton. I would definitely be upset passing up on a school with such a great reputation as Bing if it ended up being easier than I thought to transfer into the SOM than I thought.

If you got direct admission to Business at Albany, take it. Congratulations! :slight_smile:
Harpur-> SOM is very risky and Albany business is very good - each SUNY has a strength and Albany’s is business and for accounting it IS as good as Bing. And you’re in. No guessing, no risk. Not to mention that the State as well as the university have invested a lot in the business school.
Did you get into the Honors college at Albany?
Have you visited?
https://www.albany.edu/business/new-school-of-business-building.php
https://www.albany.edu/business/

Thanks for your input! I did get into the honors college at Albany, however, after visiting the school in person and speaking to many professors, they told me that if I decide to do the honors college, I would be unable to do an accounting LLC (Living and Learning Community). Also, on the school website it says that students with a concrete major, such as accounting, might not want to do the honors college, as it is more geared towards students who don’t really know what they want going in. This, as well as my wanting to focus on my major and get the highest GPA possible, made me decline the honors offer but I still receive my 4.5k scholarship.