Binghamton University Class of 2020 Decisions

Decision: Accepted to the School of Management
Objective:

SAT I (breakdown): 2180 (680 R, 720 M, 800 W)
ACT: Did not take.
SAT II: 800 Chinese, 740 Math II.
GPA (out of 100): N/A (School does not calculate GPA)
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): Top 10%
IB/Honors/DE (place score in parenthesis): IB Chemistry SL (5). Taking IB English HL, IB Math SL, IB History HL, IB Visual Arts HL, IB Spanish SL, Theory of Knowledge all this year.
Senior Year Course Load: IB English HL, IB Math SL, IB Spanish SL, IB History HL, IB Visual Arts HL, Theory of Knowledge
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): N/A

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Student government, business club (Founder & President), yearbook, varsity softball, math club
Job/Work Experience: Real estate, Start-up business sales assistant
Volunteer/Community service: Volunteer at local community services center (11th, 12th), peer tutoring (11th)
Summer Activities: Pre-college programs, work, attended college-level classes, leadership conferences
Essays: 8.5/10
Teacher Recommendation: One was excellent, not sure about the other because the teacher did not share.
Counselor Rec: Counselor did not share recommendation.

Other

State (if domestic applicant): NY
Intended major(s): Finance
School Type: Urban Public
Ethnicity: Asian
Income Bracket: 200,000+

Reflection

Strengths: SAT scores, IB course load, lots of volunteer hours, good work experience.
Weaknesses: School doesn’t do GPA, no major awards

General Comments: I wasn’t sure I was going to get into the SOM having been told how competitive acceptance into the SOM was compared to other schools within Binghamton. Surely am grateful I got in!

My child got accepted in November, also got a letter recently about scholarship and is admitted to the FRI program. It will be out of state - the financial incentive is good (does not qualify for needs based money, only merit).

I was accepted mid December and just recently got a letter notifying me that I received a $40,000($10,000 per year) scholarship to Bing

@Miriam567 Can you elaborate on your son’s scholarship offer? Many of us on this thread have been curious, especially since Binghamton’s website says that they typically only offer scholarships to those with need and that they wouldn’t go out until March/April. Any info you could provide would be very helpful :slight_smile:

@fishgill I also received a Merit scholarship offer just recently, it was certainly not need based as our annual income is around 200k which is well above qualifying for any significant amount

It is not needs based - due to income he will not qualify for needs based financial aid.
His ACT is 35, SAT II math 800, GPA I am not sure.

I understand that it was merit based, I was just saying on their website they explained it to be needs based–so I was wondering what the letter mentioned. That was all.

It mentioned exceptional academic achievements and merit

Same here,

34 ACT
800 Math 2
3.5 unweighted gpa
4.7 weighted gpa
National Engineering Competition 3x winner

@Btirumala1219 and @Miriam567 I assume you are both out-of-state (OOS)? To my knowledge, Binghamton only offers merit (non need-based) aid to OOS admits.

yea

I recently got 12k a year! (based off of merit)

does anyone know how hard it is to transfer from harpur to watson? or if i wanted to double major in math and computer science could i do that although they are in different schools

@ews413 yep you’re allowed to double major with any two majors no matter what school they are in!

OOS deferred ED, haven’t heard anything yet.

My son is still waiting too (EA)! They do this every year. My older son was deferred EA and finally accepted mid March.

Just accepted in-state SOM…applied January 15 regular decision.

Hi. I applied January 18 and haven’t heard anything. Did you receive your acceptance by email or mail?

@ggflores Email telling me to check the portal

@trackmbe3 not true, they offer merit scholarships in state as well my family friend got $4,000 and didn’t qualify for any aid to any schools