Binghamton University Class of 2020 Decisions

EA deferred with ACT of 28. Accepted to 2 other large SUNY campuses already, both of which I prefer
over Bing for my son’s major, so not really worried.

@blevine My son feels the same way as you. He is majoring in Accounting and loves what UAlbany has to offer and is just about ready to commit. It is me who is annoyed that Bing is taking so long. Looks like our EA applicants were put on the bottom of the pile. As I stated earlier my older son in a freshman at Bing and they did the same thing last year.

Binghamton taking as much time as they are is a bit frustrating. My son is going to major in Accounting as well and is waiting to hear from the SOM. He received a Chancellors scholarship from UMass Amherst Isenberg School of Business and while it doesn’t cover the entire difference between OOS at UMass Amherst vs In state Binghamton it makes it more palatable. We are going to visit the UMass campus shortly and my feeling is that my son, like yours, wants to commit and be done with the decision. I realize it doesn’t matter how and when you get into a school and it is nothing personal, but these kids are human and it feels good to be pursued and wanted by these other institutions. I think Binghamton does a poor job of keeping kids “in the loop” on their status and, as a result, the school falls off their radar as other options come to the surface.

From what I’ve read on this forum, Binghamton feel like they are the top SUNY and will get a great student influx without having to work much for it. Its the one college that hasn’t sent a bunch of informational emails encouraging us to attend and my son was accepted in Dec. They don’t spend alot of money on advertising.

@dim9798 @StrongIsland - We are right there with you! My child applied EA and was “deferred” despite being one of the first accepted in to Penn State UP, Stony Brook and several other top notch programs. While all of the others she applied to sent numerous emails and invitations to campus both before and during the decision process, we got nothing from Binghamton. Quite frankly, the other schools have much more to offer in terms of culture, location, campus life and internship / networking opportunities so we’re going in that direction now.

Wife is a alumni, and son was deferred.
And honestly, only applied to Bing thinking that as child of alumnus, was a safe school. My son applied to Watson, a small program with modest resources. Accepted to SB and Buffalo ENG programs already, which have more repected engineering faculty. No sleep lost over 3rd choice (among SUNY). Also waiting on merit at private schools, one already in.

Accepted to Watson. 3.6 GPA unweighted and weighted 1970/1240 SAT, No ap or honors (except for one engineering elective), not in calculus. It’s my second choice though so I’m super excited

I am a freshman here at Binghamton university currently enrolled in the Watson program. Let me say something. Binghamton is by far the best of the SUNY schools and I’m not saying this because I go here. Binghamton is the most competitive of the SUNY schools not only due to more applications, but because the pool of applicants have more merit. They are on the same level as students most likely applying to ivy league schools. Although Buffalo and Stony Brook have larger engineering programs, they are by no means better universities. If you’re looking for resources, sure, you can go there. But holding a degree from Binghamton in 4 years from now is going to be worth a lot more than any other SUNY. Let me make it easy and tell you all i can about Bing.

-PLENTY OF OPPORTUNITIES TO GET INVOLVED. Let me stress that. When i was in high school i heard all of this crap about how there was nothing to do in Binghamton. That was an utter lie. There are tons of ways to keep busy here and there is always something going on.

-Social Life: Whether you like parties or not you can find something to do on the weekends. If you like to drink you’ll probably make friends with greek life kids and their parties are a good time. Then you can hit up the bars afterwards. If not go to Late Night Bing. There is pool, ping pong, bowling, and a bunch of other stuff to do. I do both and i have a great time either way. Also, social life here is better than what I’ve heard from most of my friends

-Residence Halls: All of them have their own perks, but wherever you end up you will be happy. At least that is the general consensus from students here at Bing. Also, let it be known that in 10 years, every single community on this campus will have been updated/reconstructed in the 2000s. Living on campus here is great and the communities are much more up to date than most other college campuses.

-Food: It’s ok. What are you gonna do. It’s Sodexo. The Marketplace has great food but it’s a little more expensive. Sandwiches are good cuz they’re Boars Head. Everything else is decent. There are some great restaurants off campus surprisingly. Check out Burger Monday’s, Social on State, and Number 5.

-Safety: The school is super safe. I’ve never felt uncomfortable here. UPD is all over the place anyway. Like any city, Binghamton has it’s less safe parts, but most students wouldn’t be wandering around there anyway. I’ve never felt unsafe while downtown.

-Academics: I can’t speak for other programs, but the Watson program is great. Freshman year so far isn’t the most interesting, but the professors are very helpful and friendly. SOM is also getting very popular here and is extremely hard to get into. I’ve heard great things.

-Athletics: If you’re big on sports, sorry. It just isn’t really a thing here. Soccer and basketball games can be fun. I’m actually a big sports fan, but I occupy myself in other ways on weekends. I love football, but I’d rather have no team than a crappy Div. I team that loses every game.

-WEATHER: NOT NEARLY AS BAD AS I WAS TOLD IT WOULD BE! Seriously, this year has been great so far, I can’t complain at all.

-Other: Binghamton just won a $500 million dollar grant. This is going to greatly revive the city of Binghamton and the surrounding area’s economy. I’m sure a good chunk of it will be going to the university. I’ve already heard that they are using it to expand the Decker School of Nursing, which is extremely hard to get into. Don’t forget about our brand new research center that is set to open soon. RESEARCH IS HUGE HERE. A professor in the chem department was runner-up for the nobel prize. There are an immense amount of research opportunities.

If you have questions regarding anything else, feel free to send me a message. I hope I helped in your decision making process!

Side Note: Don’t rush to make decisions, it doesn’t make a difference. It’s better to wait to see all of your options and then possibly argue with admissions for larger scholarships. It can work.

Side note to the side note: Don’t compare your grades to other peoples. Ultimately, it has no effect on the board’s decision. Don’t be cocky and don’t underestimate yourself. Whatever happens happens for a reason.

Forgot a couple things…

If you can afford a $60k/yr private school then good for you. I got into every school I applied to (Bing, Northeastern, Villanova, Boston College, Boston University, and Fordham). Bing wasn’t my first choice. Actually, it was my third. But I couldn’t afford those schools. Sure, I could have taken out loans, but trust me, you don’t wanna live at home after college trying to pay off debt. Also, think about your parents. I didn’t want my parents to work more to try to help me out because i knew that’s what they would do. I want them to retire when i am done with school and reward themselves for what they have done for me and my siblings. I’m leaving Bing with no debt and coming here was the best decision i could have made. So…

-Debt sucks
-Living at home sucks after college (my brother did it, it was bad for everyone)
-Think about your parents, they did everything to get you here, so be grateful.

For a long time I thought that I didn’t like Binghamton, but now that I’ve been accepted to Scholars I’m really glad I applied and I think I’d be happy to go there. Thanks for the post @college9yay2015, I was accepted to Watson and I’m glad you like it. There is a good chance that me and my brother (twins 8-|) will be going there because of money.

thank you for that @college9yay2015 my son was ready to throw Bing out of the choices because of rumors we have heard. Still waiting on an admission decision though… they are among the last to send to us other than Northeastern, Boston and Fordham!

I just got my acceptance to Harpur!

Got my acceptance to Harpur today!
4.0 w/ 3.7 uw
2110 sat
had a rigorous courseload throughout high school, and had consistent ecs

Got my acceptance to the school of engineering today!
My stats:
99.2 Weighted average 1910 SAT
Rank 14/964 seniors
Few activities including clubs, robotics, after school youth programs, and volunteering
Total of 6 APs- 3 junior yr, 3 currently

Did anyone get accepted into EOP yet?

I’m an OOS and still haven’t received a notification. Do In-state applicants get their decisions first?

No, I think it just goes by stats

Can you tell me if you are in state or out of state?
thanks

Accepted to Harpur!

driving me crazy that we haven’t heard yet! :slight_smile: