Binghamton University Class of 2020 Decisions

More and more schools have some form of Spring admissions, some very intricate, read all the small print and think thru the repercussions. U of Maryland has a Fall Connection program that offers very few classes, at night school; Fall overseas program offers only a handful of “fun” courses, then Spring student is last to register, odds of graduating on time seem risky and you wouldnt know till after Spring registration. Binghampton I believe has more dorm space than class space. Not sure they will continue this Spring admit thing when its leveled out. Most colleges seem to be adding some type of out of the box Spring/Summer/Overseas admission to maximize profits. My son graduated from Binghampton, has good job, and feels he got excellent education in computer science. He appreciates it more now that he is in workforce and can compare his education in CS to others.

@Bonacspud, now that your son has graduated, you might want to learn how to spell Binghamton–there is no P in it.

This is at least the third year that a pretty big number of students were offered a place on the waiting list for fall, and guaranteed admission in spring. Many were admitted off the waiting list for fall a few weeks later. These students were welcome to start their studies elsewhere in the fall if they started at Binghamton in the spring.

There’s another category of admission, for which students are offered a place in the dorms at Binghamton to attend Broome County Community College for a year or two but that’s another program altogether.

@oldmom4896 & @Bonacspud …thanks for your insight…for us the offer came out of left field…now time to consider all aspects of this …:slight_smile: @oldmom4896 …how does the spring classes registration affect the incoming student? I am not sure if you know anyone going thru this? thanks for your help…

applied November and was denied!!! :))))

@oldmom4896 No need to be rude to the person who spelled Binghamton incorrectly and call them out publicly. Totally uncalled for, especially for a person who I presume is a parent. Great example to the young people on CC (note the sarcasm).

@penelopepitztop, I don’t remember exactly what my daughter did to express interest in fall admission, but the offer for fall came before the middle of April, just a couple of weeks after the offer for spring admission… By that time she had decided to attend RIT where she is a very happy sophomore. She got need-based and merit aid directly from RIT (in addition to Pell and TAP grants) that made the two schools’ cost very similar (RIT was maybe $3k/year more than Binghamton) so I gave her the choice. She’s finishing her sophomore year so it’s kind of a blur now. :"> It was also a very stressful time for us because my dad passed away that April, right after accepted students day at RIT.

Why not have the student (assuming you are the parent) contact the admissions office? It certainly couldn’t hurt to let them know that the student is very interested and would likely attend if admitted for fall.

@oldmom4896 …First off, I am sorry for your loss…and thank you for any info you do have…it helps…will keep doing our research on this and probably contact admissions at some point…yes, I am the parent and this forum has really helped me find lots of answers to many questions…Good luck to your D on the rest of her time at RIT! :slight_smile:

I live in a town with “hampton” in the title, so will spell Binghamton wrong for the rest of my life, but thanks for the reminder on why I shouldnt participate online. Last post -out!

@Bonacspud, I’m sorry. Just PMd you.

Decision: Accepted to Harpur College of Arts and Sciences

SAT - 1830 - M620, WR 600 CR610

ECs - Average
Lor- Good, teachers and employers.

GPA - 3.5

International student.
I heard back quite early, just 20 days after submitting application.

Decision: Accepted to Harpur College of Arts and Sciences

SAT - 1830 - M620, WR 600 CR610

ECs - Average
Lor- Good, teachers and employers.

GPA - 3.5

International student.
I heard back quite early, just 20 days after submitting application.

D accepted to Harpur yesterday. In state, 93 GPA with strong program, 1890 SAT, good letters of recommendation, lots of EC including leadership positions. Applied in November early action. So happy to have been accepted!

@Bonacspud …I can’t even pronounce Binghamton without adding the P …my kids are always correcting me…so much so, I am even afraid to say it…LOL…I appreciated your info on the Spring admit comment posted earlier…it did make me look into it more…thanks…

@Katysmom1 - please don’t take offense to this as it’s not a slight at your daughter in any way. But, my son had a 1930 SAT, a 98 GPA, and excellent ECs - President of a community service club with hundreds of volunteer hours, President of Math Honor Society, Director of the student theater group since junior year, ranked in the top 20 in his class. So, I’m not sure why my son was wait listed. He also applied to Harpur.

No offense taken. I have no idea how the decisions are being made. Very challenging process for all involved.

I have a 85 average and 2040 and 2000 sat and got accepeted into Haurper this week. I have no idea how I got accepted. My ec and letters were not all that impressive._. I also applied a day after the deadline…

@CP3rdTimeAround Did your S apply early action? It could make the difference if there were many early acceptances. My D applied early and got her acceptance last December. Her stats are a bit lower than your son’s, but we are OOS, which could be an advantage. (I feel certain that it is for merit awards, and she did receive some $.) But, as @Katysmom1 says, there’s no way to know. I hope your S gets in off the wait list.

@Bonacspud I’m on Long Island. I always spell it the way you do because of the Hamptons. My son keeps correcting me, lol.

I had to chime in on this one too! I put the P when filling out an important document for my son when he was applying for aid.
And even better than that we were at a luncheon where my son was awarded a private scholarship they had the name and college of each recipient on the teleprompter and the scholarship committee spelled in with the P!

To my surprise I was notified of my acceptance into Binghamton’s EOP program about 30 minutes ago. Will post stats later because I’m on a phone right now.