BINGHAMTON was INCREDIBLE at admitted students day

<p>Hi, I just spent yesterday at admitted students day, and I just wanted to share with anyone else considering Binghamton how amazing that school is, so that you might make a choice that serves you best! First off, they renovated almost everything, so it all looks BEAUTIFUL on the inside. I always hear the stereotype that, "Oh, its just another SUNY. I don't want to go to a SUNY..." But there should be no reason to discount the caliber of a school just because half of the price of tuition comes from tax money. The dorms, cafeterias, gym, performance center, and student union (the marketplace is fantastic) are all so modernized and cool that I would use the word, "luxurious" to describe everything there. In addition, the students and staff that I met yesterday were so welcoming, friendly, and intelligent, that I was thinking all day, these are the type of people I want to be with for the next stage of my life. I cannot believe how cheap this University is after seeing the quality of the facilities, and people that make Binghamton the successful center of learning that it is. Anyone that might be considering another school for its prestige even though the price might be out of range, I encourage you to visit Binghamton and reconsider it, because I assure you that you will receive a high quality, balanced, educational experience without debt hanging over your head as you work towards finding a successful career. I feel so lucky to have this University available to me. I guess I'm still waiting to hear back from Cornell, but in all honesty, I can't imagine any other deal sweeter than what I'll find at Binghamton, especially since Cornell would be double the price. </p>

<p>In case you were wondering about my background here's a sample,
GPA: 100.37 (9 APs, all the rest honors)
SAT 2190
Sample extracurriculars: President and founder of Science Olympiad at high school, President of NHS</p>

<p>Good luck everyone with your College searches, and I hope this helps to encourage you to consider Binghamton! It is a great school. I wouldn't have taken the time to write this if I hadn't been so impressed with it yesterday!</p>

<p>Thanks! Taking my daughter there on March 1. She has been accepted but has never seen the campus. She could not make Accepted Students Day. I turned Bing down years ago and always regretted it. Chose Oswego instead…I know, I know… </p>

<p>Aw, this made me nostalgic for my freshman days.</p>

<p>Thank you for posting about Binghamton so people can see how much you like it. You rave so much I wondered if you work for admissions. Then I realized it would be unethical maybe even illegal for admissions to have someone write a post pretending to be a student. So it is great you are so loyal to Binghamton. Of course Cornell is an excellent university. It is an academic powerhouse. It’s filled with some of the most intellectually gifted and talented students from all over the country and world. If you are paying full way, I guess Binghamton is cheaper. Cornell has need blind admissions so if you can get in, you can go even if your family has no income. And, the support is so good you can probably graduate debt free. Naturally if you or your family have plenty of money but don’t care to spend that much on something like education that is another story and Binghamton will probably be a better bet for you anyway. Many students like that choose Binghamton. Students whose families view education as critical and worth much sacrifice choose Cornell even if they have to sacrifice to do it. There is a world of difference between the two schools and the student bodies. But Cornell isn’t cheap like Binghamton for those that can afford to pay the tuition. I’ve heard people use the department store analogy. You can get things cheap at Walmart. You can get a different things at Neiman Marcus but it is harder to find cheap things. All depends on what you want.</p>

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I have to say, that was a rude response to my original innocuous letter of praise for a school that impressed me much. Yes, I can assure you that I am Senior in High School now who just finished his first semester and is more stress free than ever before in his life. Though my intent was not at all to debate the Cornell vs. Binghamton argument, I feel I must defend my choice after some of your comments. </p>

<p>First, I do not doubt the quality of the Cornell education. I understand that it is more selective than Binghamton, and it may have professors with impressive backgrounds. However, to say that there is a “world of difference” between the education and student bodies of Cornell and Binghamton can be nothing more than a pretentious exaggeration. Whatever the disparity might be between the schools, I can hardly see how any UNDERGRADUATE education may be worth 100,000 dollars more. Are you aware of the size of that figure? For your information, my family is out of range for any financial aid. That does not mean that we are stupid, and willing to through money to the wind without full planning of my academic future. As to your insinuation that education is not viewed as “critical” in my family, so not worth the “sacrifice”, I can ensure you that your assumption is completely false. We highly value education in family, but my parents will tell you we equally value financial security for me and my siblings, as well as a balanced, enjoyable undergraduate experience that encourages not only intense academics that leave a person up till 2:00 am studying, but social growth. By choosing Binghamton over Cornell, I am choosing a much cheaper, though still high quality education. As a result, my parents can now help me afford graduate school, which is certainly in plans and which will matter more in the long run to prepare me for my eventual successful career. Oh, but that’s right, we don’t value education “critically” in my family. </p>

<p>Well said Jon! You have demonstrated the quality of students that Binghamton attracts. No need to defend your choice. As for graduating Cornell debt-free? Doubtful! </p>

<p>I will concur with jon42396! Our family was at Binghamton for accepted students day and we found the University presented amazingly well and the program that was hosted was exceptional. Our daughter has been invited to the Binghamton Scholars program and there were some specific presentations for these students as well as the opportunity to interact with present students in the Scholars program. The admissions staff was incredibly gracious and helpful, the President of the University spoke, the gentleman who oversees the Scholars program spoke and it was so obvious how much he cared for his work and how much he loved these kids.
Our daughter has applied to Cornell as well as three other Ivies and a number of other highly ranked schools. The experience we had at Binghamton was so refreshing, instead of the overriding feeling being that you are lucky if we accept you, it was we appreciate what you have accomplished and sincerely want you to come to our University. I cannot say enough positive things about the accepted Students day at Binghamton!</p>

<p>And there are many of us in between “no income” and “plenty of money” families, who unfortunately do not qualify for any financial aid, and cannot pay full price. </p>

<p>The students I met there were all very involved and seemed to love Bing, though many admitted it was not their first choice. For me, my EFC is just over the total cost for Bing so I am full pay at Bing but receive significant financial aid at most privates. As a result, the difference in cost between Bing and the privates to which I applied is marginal and I actually get to decide my school based on preference and not price which is so amazing.</p>

<p>That being said, I was pretty impressed particularly with the PwC Scholars program. Bing is aware they’re competing for kids that are getting into top private schools and do a great job of persuading them to consider Bing.</p>

<p>If sockittoum went to Cornell, It seems they don’t teach tact, or grace, or modesty, or understanding… After reading that post, I think these lessons need to be added to the curriculum immediately</p>

<p>To be totally honest the only snobby experience I’ve had with someone re: college choices were Cornell students.</p>

<p>sockittoum is obviously the real life Andy Bernard. “I went to Cornell, ever heard of it?”</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>True enough. </p>

<p>Have to say, my S was accepted EA to Bing, but not the Scholars program, which was pretty disappointing.
He was accepted to honors programs at other state schools, this is the only one that did not invite him.
Still considering Bing, but if Cornell takes him, Cornell is where he will go, where they are ALL honors students.
He had great grades, SATs, 5s on all AP exams so far, don’t understand what they are looking for in the
Scholars program. So the enthusiasm shared above about the Scholars program, only gets me more down
about the prospect of writing tuition checks to Bing, as he’s not to be included. </p>

<p>@blevine I know where you’re coming from, I seriously do, but I guarantee you that you have the wrong attitude for a couple of reasons. First of all, many, many Binghamton students have great grades and SATs; your son isn’t super special because he does too. It’s a competitive school and there are plenty of smart cookies here. I don’t mean to sound harsh but what the scholars program looks for excellent leadership demonstration plus great grades/SATs. A whole lot of applicants have that.</p>

<p>Also, as a scholar, I can confirm that it means literally nothing. The effect it has on my life here is nonexistant-- I had to live in Newing freshman year and I took mandatory scholars classes (which were such a waste of time, I could’ve been taking things towards my major), and that is it. Seriously. I constantly forget that I’m technically in the program except sometimes I get emails from the scholars guy telling us about speakers on campus we might want to go to. To get so petty and upset about being “left out” of this meaningless thing is just silly.</p>

<p>@rebeccar Thanks for your explanation. </p>

<p>You want to go where you are wanted.</p>

<p>And there was a discussion about Cornell, which I assume is the “petty” comment you refer to.
While you do not need to go to an ivy to get a good education, there is no comparison.
I looked at the professor credentials of my S’s intended major.
BU is very good, Cornell is a whole other level, not comparable to most schools, BU no exception.
But the context of the Cornell comments are a poor choice, I would agree.</p>

<p>I am sure he will be happy if he attends, but he got his acceptance many week ago,
and waiting on Cornell and another honors/scholars program
from an even more selective public school (half the acceptance rate vs Bing).<br>
He may get neither, and he will be happy with Bing, but the lack of scholarships, a meaningful
honors program etc put BU probably in 3rd place at best. Since they are getting good students
anyway, I guess it works for them. I know many Bing grads who were happy there, and successful now.
I have no problem with him attending Bing, which is different from being excited about it.</p>

<p>But Binghamton does want him, that’s the thing. He just wasn’t invited into this one thing which is honestly probably one of the least meaningful/prestigious things that a Binghamton person could get involved in. I completely understand where you’re coming from, though. I was originally waitlisted at Cornell so when I got the option to finally go, it was a big turnoff that they didn’t really want me <em>that</em> much. And if money isn’t an issue then why would anyone choose to turn down Cornell for a suny. I also have a slight personal grudge because when I got accepted to UPenn for grad school my Cornellian friend made a comment about “welcome to the Ivy club!” and it just seemed incredibly obnoxious and elitist especially coming from Cornell. </p>

<p>Whew sorry for the rant, I’m sure he’ll be happy wherever he goes. :)</p>

<p>Blevine-
Again with the whole, “completely different level” thing… I’m starting to see how many people buy into that… Yes, I’m sure the TA’s who would be spending the most time with your son at Cornell are at a level of content understanding that just blows away anything any Binghamton staff member has to offer.</p>

<p>Rebeccar- Did something happen to you in the Scholars program that has made your attitude somewhat bitter? The scholars program certainly did not seem meaningless to me when I was at the reception at admitted students day. Nor did it seem to be “the least prestigious thing Binghamton had to offer”. On the contrary, the perks of the Scholars program enticed me even more. Priority class registration, nice new dorm community, personal contact with professors and the president, graduating with honors on a diploma from an already fantastic school? Maybe the program has changed since when you started, but I got a great feeling from it, and my friend who is currently a freshman in the Scholars program could not say enough good things about it. Are you on college confidential as an ambassador? I don’t mean to offend you, but if you are an ambassador, you aren’t doing the best job of promoting Binghamton in its best light. If you aren’t an ambassador, I’m sure why you’re taking time from your life to post negatively tinted comments regarding the Scholars program and BIng on College Confidential. </p>

<p>As to your comment about " if money isn’t an issue, then why would anyone choose to turn down Cornell for a suny", I strongly disapprove of the notion. There are many reasons why I would choose Binghamton over Cornell even if money wasn’t a player, most notably the balanced college life I assume I would get at Binghamton (if there’s one thing my Dad and other Cornellian friends have told me, it is that the work assignments are relentless at Cornell) , and a student body that doesn’t have so many individuals with that “elitist” mentality. Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t have applied to Cornell if I didn’t think it was an excellent school with experienced professors and an extremely high quality education, but I can’t help but doubt the assumption that the Cornell education is SOOO superior to the education from Binghamton.</p>

<p>This wasn’t what I intended with my initial post… I only wanted to acknowledge a highly positive experience I had at Binghamton without any negativity…</p>

<p>@jon42396 Hey there I’m a junior here at Bing and I’m also a Student Ambassador. I just wanted to say I am so glad you enjoyed your visit to Binghamton. We strive to make sure all of our visitors enjoy themselves when on our campus and your enthusiasm for the school and your experience is refreshing. </p>

<p>When I got accepted to Binghamton there wasn’t any events like Admitted Students Day to gauge campus on a deeper level but I must say, after 3 years spent here I can’t imagine myself being anywhere else. To see you so excited for a school that you’ve yet to call home yet is a testament to the power Binghamton has on students. </p>

<p>Congratulations on being accepted and hopefully I’ll see you in the fall!</p>

<p>jon42396 We don’t have to agree. I want to a very large private school, many of my HS friends went
to various SUNY schools, Bing, Stonybrook and Albany.
Despite comparable size of the schools, I NEVER had a huge class, always
was able to speak to my profs. Visiting friends at SUNY, they had lecture halls so huge, I could not
believe the size of the halls. That said, I found you can learn most of what you need in undergrad
from the textbooks, so paying more for interaction with professors may not be as wise an investment
as opposed to grad school where it can be more important. I do believe in the strategy,
public undergrad / Ivy grad school. But getting in for undergrad is very tempting if you get it.
You may not get a 2nd chance later for grad school, so why not take it ?</p>

<p>rebeccar I think you are a good Ambassador. Being honest and giving pros and cons is much more
helpful than the PR from the paid Ambassadors, who post fluff. Your comments were very helpful.</p>