Biological Sciences to Medical School

<p>Hi Everyone.
I am a Junior in a NoVA high school this year. I am considering Virginia schools to study Biology and hopefully go to medical school one day. I know there is an academic bias against VTech but I would just like to know how the biology program is and how many students get accepted into medical school out of VTech. Thank You</p>

<p>Also, how does Virginia Tech’s Biology program compare to schools like William & Mary, UVA, and George Mason. Your input is much appreciated!</p>

<p>mazz, who has the academic bias against Tech? You? Your friends? Don’t really get that part, but considering you are interested (I guess?) in the school, you should know that it does have a good reputation for its very strong science departments. From what I have heard over the years from some pretty sharp kids, the first couple of years the various bio/chem classes will quickly weed out those with medical field intentions. I found a link with FAQ for you regarding the Pre-med program. Hopefully it will help with your pre-med questions:</p>

<p>[Frequently</a> Asked Questions | University Honors | Virginia Tech](<a href=“http://www.univhonors.vt.edu/html/premed_faq.html#01]Frequently”>http://www.univhonors.vt.edu/html/premed_faq.html#01)</p>

<h1>15. What is your acceptance rate?</h1>

<p>If the population of students is considered who have competitive GPAs, competitive MCAT scores, reasonable amounts of clinical/volunteer/preceptorship experience, good letters of recommendations, who have partnered with the Pre-Med Advising Office and who have interviewed with the University Pre-Med Advisory Committee, then the acceptance rate approaches or exceeds about 90 percent each year! This is an excellent statistic, but what does it mean?</p>

<p>UVA, W&M are known to have great programs as well. Be sure to consider many factors when you are looking at schools. Do your own homework on each. Many students go to college with the hope of continuing onto med school, but change their minds for a number of reasons, including the one I referenced above. Hope this helps some and good luck to you.</p>

<p>I have always wanted to go to Virginia Tech. However, when I started to realize that I wanted to pursue an education in Biology at Virginia Tech friends and family have discouraged me saying that Virginia Tech is only know for its engineering. I know its still too early to know that i want to go to med school but I want to keep my options open. I was just worried that if medical school is something that i wanted to do, I would be at a disadvantage competing with graduates from other institutions.</p>

<p>This is actually my dilemma right now. I’m in my 2nd semester at Virginia Tech (Sophomore class standing).</p>

<p>I’m currently an engineering major who is transferring to biology. I was about to post a question related to this topic when I saw your post. What luck, huh?</p>

<p>I’m trying to decide whether to do Biology and Pre-Med at Virginia Tech or at East Tennessee State University in Johnson City, TN. Both schools have affiliated medical schools:</p>

<p>VT has the new VTC.
ETSU has Quillen.</p>

<p>Both medical schools have around the same admission statistics, except VTC is more research based. I read a statistic that it is 1 of 3 research based medical schools. Another one is Harvard Med, so I’m really heavily looking at VTC as an admission choice.</p>

<p>So what do you guys think? Do you think VT is a good choice for a Biology - Pre-Med concentration or should I transfer to ETSU?</p>

<p>Edit:</p>

<p>By the way, do all medical schools have 2.5% acceptance rates?</p>

<p>VTC accepted 42 students out of 1654 applicants.
The mean MCAT score was a 33. O_O
One student scored a 42/45. Prob. the guy from Harvard.</p>