Boiler Gold Rush

<p>Anyone attending the "boiler gold rush?" It's from August 14th, they have a lot of activities planned and it seems like a great chance to meet other freshman and adjust quickly to the campus. I am definitely attending.</p>

<p>same here!</p>

<p>My son shared this past weekend that he thinks he's not going because it didn't sound fun. The bowling, dances, etc are all things he doesn't care for. It doesn't help that he is an introvert. I'm wondering if it will be a mistake for him to skip it?</p>

<p>I'm sure my son will attend. I thought it was where they issued your meal plan cards, ID cards, and had orientation classes to familiarize the students to the school.</p>

<p>Tookie, I'm not sure about the orientation classes, I think they are indeed during Boiler Gold Rush. But the ID cards along with the testing, etc. is in summer. I think it's called Day on Campus? Not sure of the name.</p>

<p>Im going to the gold rush for sure...as far as day on campus goes, im going to schedule everything I can either over the phone or online (due to travel purposes Im coming from Nevada) and ill take what ever CLEP and entrace exams I need to boiler week.</p>

<p>Hey clrlake, you went to Purdue....right? How did you like it? How were the people and the engg facilities?</p>

<p>Everyone was very personable, I really liked the facilities specifically the mechanical eng. labs where they were working on remote comtrol off road vehicles and the grand prix racer. I talked to a engineering advisor after the lecture about scheduling issues and AP credits and so on. Dorms were nice, my first pick is Cary for sure. Got a chance to see a ton of people, went to the baseball game, and drove around the frats and sororities. Definitely the place I want to be, great school, great people, great future.</p>

<p>About Day on Campus - does anyone know if there's any problem getting classes if you attend during the latter dates? Also, have any of you engineering students done any online testing? I think the website says you have to take some kind of math test before you get up there.</p>

<p>My understanding is that the earlier you take your day on campus, the greater your chances are of getting the classes you would like. My son wants to do his day on campus very early on. The part I don't understand? How does he know exactly what placement tests to take when the results from his APs wouldn't be back yet? I think I'm going to call on that one. He hasn't done the online math test yet because he's in the middle of finals/APs right now. I'm sure he will wait until school is out for that one. He's an engineering student as well.</p>

<p>Im going to wait as well on taking the online tests, Im pretty sure that we have to take both a calculus and a chemistry placement exams.</p>

<p>Please keep us posted on what the school says about the AP tests. We are so busy with prom, graduations, AP testing, it's hard to get everything done! We are taking a cruise in June so won't get to do the Day on Campus until after that. I wonder if they will send us something to tell us what tests they can take at Day on Campus.</p>

<p>In addition to the calculus and chemistry placement test, you also have to complete a questionaire for engineering. It took me about 2 hours to do this. Good thing, you don't have to do this in one sitting.</p>

<p>Also does anyone know when do we get our housing assignments?</p>

<p>Tookie, I just emailed orientation (since I will not have access to a phone later today) to ask them the AP/placement test question. I'll post when I get an answer.</p>

<p>Boomer01, according to a brochure I have here housing assignments arrive in the mail in early June.</p>

<p>Wow, I'm impressed Tookie and others. They got back to me in the same day. During Day on Campus when the student meets the academic advisor there will be conversations like: Which class of Calc are you comfortable taking should you get a 5 for example on the AP. Then the student shares that info but is first enrolled in a lower course. When the AP scores come in, the student is bumped up to the level he has talked to his AA about. She shared also that many seniors are in this position and it all gets taken care of. Nice to know!</p>

<p>i am currently a student at purdue that on summer break. i just finished my freshman year in engineering and am going on to electrical engineering w/ focus on biomedical engineering. i can answer a few questions you may have about placement testing...</p>

<p>if your son took the ap calc ab, he could move onto 162,166, or 174. all of these are calc 2 classes, however 174 is the honors class and i believe covers calc 2/calc3. if your son took calc bc, like i did, he should be placed into ma 271 which is honors multivariable calc... i'm not sure how your son felt about his ap testing, but i felt really good about mine at the time and didn't take any placement tests, but of course this depends on your son.</p>

<p>Hey all.... from all the feedback ive received via these kind of websites is that any orientation program is a MUST...especially BGR. I'm certainly attending along with my mom ... just wondering if there are any INDIANS here that r attending purdue this fall?</p>

<p>there are quite a few indians i know ( i am not indian); most of them are (stereotypically or not) are in computer engineering/science.</p>

<p>I would really suggest going to Boiler Gold Rush for everyone. I did it and had a blast. It lets you get a head start on making new friends and you get to know the campus a lot better. When I started here I had been to campus twice before BGR; by the end I was able to easily navigate campus with out a map. I also met a lot of people outside of my discipline and I am still good friends with them. I think it is really important to have friends in your major and out of your major, it allows for you to get away from the same things. If you come and decide that you really don't want to do everything that is planned you don't have to, although I suggest it. Another thing to think about is that it gives you more time to get settled before classes start. Everyone else only has a couple of days and it is really hard to try and move in when all the other students are trying to move in too. If you can't come to Day on Campus, I know you can get all of your stuff during BGR and take the exams. You aren't going to need your Campus ID immediately, they will give you a different card for food during BGR and you should be able to get your ID on Monday. I hope this helps. If anyone has other questions I am nore than willing to help...I work with the Engineering personal connection program and have access to a lot of resources if I don't know off hand. Just email me through the forum.</p>

<p>Thank you. Since I first posted my son has decided to go for the very reasons you state: getting familiar with campus, etc. He's not big on the activities but knows it will be nice to move in early before the rush etc.</p>