Brockman Foundation Scholarship-High School Class of 2019 Waiting Game

We are in the Houston area so the only option give was the 17th in Houston. It says we will be notified with a specific time after we confirm (which he already did) but we have not gotten the specific time yet. He is planning on a CE major.

My daughter is at A&M this year and loving it! Even though she didn’t receive the Brockman, she had some other pretty good scholarships. The Brockman is ULTRA competitive and hundreds of outstanding kids get turned down. It’s definitely no reflection on the kids themselves. :slight_smile:

@TXYellowRose , that is so good to hear! May I ask when she heard about her other scholarships? Did she decide to go to A&M because of those scholarships or did she decide to go to A&M and then found out about the scholarships later? (I hope that makes sense!)

@TXYellowRose did your son get assigned a specific time on the 15th for an interview yet? My son has not heard back on a time, so just want to find out if others have.

Hi, I’m so glad that your dtr is having a good year at TAMU. I’m not familiar with the scholarships at TAMU. I didn’t see any automatic merit ones like some other schools. Could you share some of the ones that your dtr applied for /received?

@TXMom2019 My son has not yet been assigned a time for the interview on the 15th. I hope they find out soon so we can make arrangements. @TXRunningMom @Tam1233 My daughter applied only to TAMU. She has known for years that TAMU was “her” school and would have gone there even without any scholarships. You have to fill out the TAMU scholarship application which is due Dec. 1 and you are automatically considered for the available merit-based scholarships. Unfortunately, there aren’t a lot! My daughter received the President’s Endowed scholarship, an Opportunity Award, and she also received the highest-ranking graduate tuition waiver her freshman year for graduating #1 from an accredited Texas high school. Make sure to get the scholarship application in by Dec. 1 to be considered! Best wishes!

@TXYellowRose , thanks for letting us know the status of your assigned interview time and not knowing yet. Please keep us updated when you find out! I think it helps the rest of us who are waiting realize what a big task this committee has in organizing all these interviews. Also, thanks for the information on your daughter’s scholarships, including the reminder to fill out the scholarship application! I double checked that first thing and she does have it filled out. Yikes, that would have been a disaster if that was overlooked! Is your daughter a National Merit Finalist? Is that how she got the President’s Endowed?

@TXRunningMom My daughter was not a National Merit Finalist. I know another student who received the President’s Endowed who was also not NM. I agree, it is a big task to coordinate everything. Hopefully you will hear something soon. Best wishes!

My daughter got an email at 2:44 pm today for an interview in Austin on December 1st! She has until midnight Tuesday, November 13th to accept. “Hmmm, let me think about this over the weekend” said not me! Best wishes everyone! (The email has jargon for OOS students and flying them in for free if over 18 and an additional ticket for a parent if under 18. Also, Skype options and possibilities)

Awesome news for your daughter! Wishing her best of luck. Thanks for sharing.

@TXRunningMom, Congratulations to your daughter! So excited for her!! Thanks for sharing and please continue to update us.

My son got the email, too! We’re very excited.
Good luck to everyone!

Are you also OOS or further from Houston or Dallas regional offices?

Hi everyone, my son got the email and his interview will be on Nov 30. We are from OOS, and contemplating of just doing the Skype. Do you all think that it’s better if he’ll go in person rather than Skype Interview? Thanks!

@Topazjenh , congratulations! What state do you live in? I’m assuming you would need to fly? Do you have lots of stuff going on that day/weekend? It is incredibly busy for my family that weekend but we are local. Good question on flying in or Skype-ing! Maybe it would depend on how well your son interviews?

Hi, we live in Louisiana, a few hours drive. There’s an option to fly him too and they’ll pay for it, he’s already 18, so only 1 ticket. My son is not that good with interviews, I told him to practice and research on possible interview questions. Thinking of just driving there but it’s more convenient to Skype, I wonder if that makes a difference.

@Topazjenh , if you feel like your son is not good with interviews then Skype might help hide any nervousness? On the other hand, they probably like to meet the kids in person to get that “good handshake” and small talk while walking down the hallway to the interview room, etc. and get to know them better. That is a tough decision! Good luck making the best decision for your son and family! Keep us posted on what y’all decide!

@TXYellowRose , did you get an interview time yet? Just curious about how slow the process could be! I hate wait. :slight_smile:

thank you TXRunningMom, he has decided to to fly and do face to face interview. No matter what the result, to be chosen as one of the semi finalist is something to be proud of.

I think when you confirm the interview, then they’ll give you the time of interview.