Brockman Scholarship for Engineering and Business degree

@jackson345 We did get an email back from Brockman…see below:
Hello,

Thank you for your email, and for your interest in the Brockman Scholars programme.

On this occasion, due to the short notice before the closing date for applications, we will accept the uploading of unofficial transcripts by scholarship applicants.

However, the Brockman Foundation will require an official transcript before an applicant can be short-listed for the scholarship. Applicants are urged to obtain official transcripts as a matter of urgency.

Sincerely,

Brockman Scholars Programme

@ggbucks Thanks for posting! This buys some time, so I feel a bit better.

Even I received the Brockman email. I’m a OOS CS major. Does anyone know the exact date of scholarship release decisions? Also when do they tell you if you get instate tuition based on that $4000 scholarship rule?

@aarya2000 I believe I saw that Brockman decisions will be made BY April 1st. However, financial aid offers come out by the end of February.

According to a financial aid advisor we spoke to, departmental/true TAMU scholarships come out with the package in February as well. She also inferred that the tuition waivers would be released too. However, contrary to what some people think, not everyone who receives $4000 in merit scholarships gets a waiver. It simply QUALFIES you for a waiver. Since the Brockman Scholarship is private, I don’t think it counts towards the $4000.

There are a fixed number of waivers - it is tied to TX laws-as is the dollar amount. Scholarships here are not handed out like candy, they are generally small amounts compared to other schools and highly competitive. The old number for the waiver was $1000, and THAT was tough to achieve. I actually never came across anyone who didn’t get the waiver that got the scholarship totals, mostly because getting the scholarships were the hardest part.

They also do not designate all scholarships as eligible. The waivers are based on the scholarship totals being met & once that happens, it appears on your FA page. You don’t apply & there is no ‘review’. The school keeps track of OOS numbers & simply does not offer the eligible scholarship to put you over the totals if they are at capacity. My son got a scholarship that didn’t count, and it was clearly stated but he already had the waiver. Also scholarships trickle out directly onto your FA portal, then you’ll get a summary page from FA with costs spelled out.

I will say do check & double check OOS information - we got lots of misinformation since there are not many OOS students here and most info is geared to instate. That being said, you are welcomed with open arms & my kids loved going to school here.

DS submitted his application for Brockman Scholarship. Anyone else? I’m sure it’s a long shot, but one worth taking.

My daughter did. She barely made the deadline :relaxed:. But I’m afraid that one of the LoRs wasn’t emailed out in time. So I’m not holding my breath. Goodluck to all those who applied.

My son submitted his application on Sunday. I agree, it’s a huge long shot, but nothing to lose by trying. Thankfully his high school came through and provided the docs required without issue.

Mine got his turned in on Sunday. It is a long shot, but great opportunity! Good luck to everyone!

Mine got his submitted yesterday morning. Sure felt like a short time to pull things together. Good luck to everyone!

My DD submitted over the weekend. Does anyone have an idea of how many students were invited to apply?

@seniormom1823 when I called the financial aid office the week the email was sent out the woman I was talking to said that the email was sent to 5000 STEM major students, I said “wow” because I wasn’t expecting to hear a number so high but she said that of those 5000 many won’t even attend A&M and many will also just not apply for it so it’s worth a shot

@emppme1 WOW is my reaction too. I feel sorry for the scholarship review committee – that’s a lot of applications even if only half apply. Hopefully the very short response time will weed out many. Slim chances but good luck to everyone who applied.

That number is crazy! I knew it was a long shot, but now it’s more like a ‘highly unlikely’ shot! Even if only 25% of those 5,000 apply, that’s still only a 3% chance of getting the scholarship (assuming the advertised 40 recipients is still accurate). Well, here’s hoping most didn’t apply for one reason or another.

DS just got an email tonight that he was invited to interview for Brockman’s! The interview is THIS weekend in Houston. Talk about fast turn-around. Kind of nice as it seems we wait forever for other decisions. After interview weekend the next stage is a finalist weekend in College Station in March. Very curious how many made it through. Did any of you get an email? Now DS needs to find someone to cover his shift at work.

@S18D20mom nothing here. Congratulations to your son!

Did anyone else get an interview invitation? @S18D20mom Is the Houston interview because you live in Houston or is that just their interview place? I’m OOS so I’m wondering about a lot of things right now lol.

@cmustang1 we live in the Austin area and re-reading the email it states Regional interview. It’s at a hotel in Houston. I was wondering the same thing about OOS applicants. There is no way someone can just hop on a plane with three days notice. Maybe they have several different regional locations with varying dates over the next couple weeks which may explain why others haven’t been notified yet. That’s just a guess? The finalist round is end of March in College Station at TAMU.

@S18D20mom Exactly–I can’t imagine they will require that short of a turn around for OOS applicants flying in. We’ll see, maybe they will start sending out OOS emails soon. Thanks for the finalist info, as there is no information on their website about the process, so this defianately helps.

To be specific, March 22-24 is finalist weekend at TAMU. And I believe decision is made by April 1.