Brockman Scholarship for Engineering and Business degree

My son was selected as well. Has anyone received anymore info on this? I’m surprised there hasn’t been much communication.

Congratulation !!! Was your son selected recently or the 1st round?

It was in the first round. Just late getting to this thread!

From what I understand, everyone accepted the offer so no one was taken from the waitlist.

My son is applying now to be a 2019-20 freshman, and he just got an inquiry about the Brockman Scholarship today. And has just a week to do the application. What a crazy schedule, a different time than last year, but like last year (Feb. 2018) a super-rushed schedule to apply. We haven’t even sent initial applications yet.

Did anyone else get contacted today about Brockman starting next year?

Current Brockman Scholars, what do you think of it after a couple months?

@oniongrass , my daughter was emailed yesterday with encouragement to apply. Is your son a National Merit SemiFinalist?

Yes he is a semifinalist. I am comparing this scholarship opportunity with others like Alabama that are available, assuming he becomes a finalist.

@oniongrass My son is a current Brockman scholar. So far, it has been fantastic! All of his expenses: tuition, fees, dorm, meals, parking & sports pass were covered at the beginning of school. Afterwards, he was issued a refund to budget for books and other expenses that may come up during the semester. It will be the same process in the spring. At the end of Sept, they were issued an additional $1,700 to help offset the cost of their computers.

His Stats: Honors Engineering (Aerospace)
2nd in his class (only 24 kids, small town!)
ACT: 35
Didn’t take SAT
Didn’t take the PSAT (was out of town)
Varsity Football & Baseball
Band
FFA: multiple offices locally and higher
State Champion in multiple public
speaking contests
Community improvement project chair
Active in church & his youth group

@2aggies, thank you so much for your response! Can you tell about the study abroad experience offered? What does that look like? Is it with the whole group like the Brown scholars do with the Italy trip?

I don’t have any info on the travel abroad. Based on how they have done things up to this point, I’d say it’s more likey they will each choose their own. I’d also suggest your kid applies for the Brockman & the Brown, if you have the opportunity. I can’t imagine that applying to one would negate the other. You could always ask financial aid to be sure.

My daughter received an email encouraging her to apply on Tuesday. We are trying to get everything done by the deadline. Question- Her referees will email the letters of recommendation. But, there is also a place to upload these letters directly on the application (pdf). Should she also do this in addition to the teachers emailing these letters?

My son only uploaded a copy of the originals last year.

Thank you!!!

My son received an email on Tuesday. He will be submitting his application tomorrow. We are OOS. Hopefully others will post as well! We plan to upload originals (PDF).

My daughter also got the email. Not to get your hopes up, but my hunch is that many many students got it. We have not applied & she is not NMF. She only took ACT & she only got a 32 not superscored. We are OOS, husband is a “former student”.

@promom4 I agree that it is a (really) long shot. However, they have no chance if they don’t apply. Not much to loose. After reading the thread from last year, there were several kids with really high scores (with good EC) that did not make it. So not sure high scores is the only/main qualifier. Again, I understand how competitive it is but… certainly doesn’t hurt to try.

My son only took the ACT as well and his composite is 33. He is OOS with no A&M connections.

@2aggies , would you be able to share details of the scholarship (they say you get more info if you make it to the first round)? Was there a contract? Any stipulations if you transfer? Any commitments to the foundation during school?

I started a new thread for the 2nd year of Brockman candidates who have applied:
Brockman Foundation Scholarship High School Class of 2019 Waiting Game

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/2107670-brockman-foundation-scholarship-high-school-class-of-2019-waiting-game.html

@bemart14 He had a contract attached to the e-mail offer. It included they must maintain a 3.5GPA, complete the undergrad degree in 4yrs, masters in 1yr, 1 study abroad, no drugs, smoking, or underage drinking, participate in all Foundation activities, superior conduct, engage In extracurricular activities.
It didn’t address transfers, as they are expected to remain at A&M. There is a line about the Foundation reserving the right to recover their costs if you violate the stipulations.
Activities so far have been a meeting to review the rules, a dinner with Mr Brockman, Pres Young, Pres of the A&M Foundation and other board members. A 1:1 meeting with the committee to answer additional questions & a seminar on money management.
Getting info has been limited. Mostly because they communicate with the kids and my son is slow about sharing ?

Is the study abroad required?