BS Class of 2020 Thread

@AppleNotFar, Summer vacation wouldn’t be too late. :slight_smile:

Our results (test taken in NH) were posted and available through Family Connection: http://connection.naviance.com/ [enter your school’s name here].

The College Board claims that sophomores scoring at or above 95% are likely to score at the 99% when taking the test as juniors - but it seems they omitted the phrase “provided they prepare for it”… :slight_smile: So don’t despair, @AppleNotFar!

BS have sophomores to take it so that they can be prepared for the real PSAT a year later. There will be major improvement over the next year with some prep.

Thanks for the kind and helpful words @SculptorDad and @GoatMama. I’m trying to gain my own perspective before I bring the score up with either DH or AppleKid and this is my go-to place for such perspective! AppleKid is really busy this last week of school and I’m not going to mention anything but want to be ready when/if the kid figures out the scores are out. As for DH, I need to be able to quickly yet completely answer the question: “Well, is that a good score or not?”.

After further consideration, I’d say that the math score was pretty good, but the reading was 60 points lower which seems too lopsided even for my math-loving kid. At least we know where to focus the studying!

Next month AppleKid is taking the Pre-ACT at school and I’m considering a little test prep for that over winter break, just for the sake of providing some familiarity with the test. On the other hand, the kid took the PSAT cold, with no prep or practice whatsoever (we opted not to do the 7th grade testing), and perhaps it would be a better gauge of which test the kid is best suited for if the Pre-ACT was also taken cold. Any thoughts?

And in related standardized test fun, we’ve got to wait another week for the results of the Math 2 Subject Test. Talk about bah humbug!

My two had big reading vs. math gaps too. 11th grader at home in public school - 70 points; 10th grader at boarding school - 50 points. Ironically, same reading score for both, although one kid took it on Wednesday and the other on Saturday.

I think most of BS will go review the PSAT result with the students, areas to work on etc, saving us from the possible unpleasantry in the X-mas.

@AppleNotFar, I think that the “cold” approach is very informative provided parents (and some kids though not mine…sigh) can reign in their Type A personality. DD’s SAT in 7th grade, her first SSAT, and now the PSAT were taken rolling-out-of-bed cold. It really helps see strengths and weaknesses.

As for the PSAT, there was a 40-point gap between reading/writing and math, but that’s not surprising considering she didn’t even finish the math section (didn’t bring a calculator, asked to use someone else’s, fidgeted with it, couldn’t get it to work, realized she didn’t really need it, oh well…). So the reading/writing score ended up being higher than the math score, which is not how she normally scores. I was surprised by the high reading/writing score though. Maybe there is some utility to BS education after all, contrary to smack talk?

@GoatMama IF I manage to control myself, think that could count as one of AppleKid’s Christmas gifts??? :-?

All credit for breaking my Type A personality goes to GoatKid, who has fought me so hard on it I’ve thrown in the towel. Wanna do kid-swap for the holidays?? :smiley:

Thanks guys- I am in California for work and just got my DD19 scores. No one is talking about them in New Hampshire yet. She increased over 200 points from last year- so very happy.

My DD improved quite a bit from last year to this year, so hopefully there is another jump next year as a Junior. She had a significant gap between sections as well, but that wasn’t surprising since she excels in Math. She’ll definitely be studying to improve the Reading!

I will have to wait until I talk to DS tonight. He is not sharing his password. lol

Late to the standardized testing party as I’ve been in my own (final exams) testing vortex!

DD told me the 13th. Due to aforementioned

yikes, strange, I really did have more to say. . . I will pick-up here. . .

Due to aforementioned &$#!* week, I’m relying on DD to forward her scores to me. LOL! School says they will be available on the 13th.

*Looked for a praying emoji but couldn’t find one.

BTW, Sculptor Day, I think you need to change your CC handle to something techie-oriented. Wow! Who knew?

*Dad

Clearly time for me to go back to grading.

Nah. I am getting outdated in the techie game.

For the Summer (and not Winter break which is too short anyway), If you are clueless about test prep books and just want to know what are the most often used by prep companies;

Reading:
The Critical Reader, 3rd Edition: The Complete Guide to SAT Reading (ISBN-10: 0997517875)

Writing:
4th Edition, The Ultimate Guide to SAT Grammar (ISBN-10: 0997517867)

Math:
PWN the SAT: Math Guide 4th Edition (ISBN-10: 1523963573) * Only covers challenging questions for high scorers.

Practice Tests:
Ivy Global’s SAT 6 Practice Tests (ISBN-10: 194232104X) The only unofficial that is as good as the official but with much better explanations

@SculptorDad Looks like I’ve found the perfect Christmas gifts for AppleKid thanks to you! Those books, plus a pass from mom not to start studying until spring break = mom’s done shopping for one of her kiddos!!! :-bd

ETA: In all seriousness, thanks for recommendations!

Spoke to DS…50 pt gap here!
I think we will continue with our plan of a few tutoring sessions just for the reading and writing sections.