Cal grant A appeal- odd circumstances

Hello college confidential. I need help with how to proceed on this. Information about me: in 12th grade second semester. In 11th grade second semester, there were 2 inaccurate grades the teachers input (a C and F) that dragged my cal grant gpa down to a 2.93. In 12th grade first semester, I got the teachers to correct this (to an A and B), but it only updated the transcript once first semester was over (around the end of jan). My school district submitted the gpa at the beginning of january, so the cal grant people got an inaccurate gpa. I’ve called the cal grant people twice and both times they were not too helpful, giving me contradicting information, or just incorrect info. (like they told me cal grant gpa was calculated using freshman and sophomore gpa).

I did some research by myself. I found out that we can appeal.
But the problem is I don’t know how i’d put this in the appeal. I can say that my gpa was so and so but I’d need to somehow get my transcripts to them officially which I can’t do in this form.
Then there is another form called called cal grant application correction form but it says only students with no access to webgrants should do it, but there is no to do button on my webgrants page.

Then I thought of asking my counselor to send another gpa verification form which cal grant a entitlement students can submit late, but it says we cant submit another gpa verification form.
Im so confused I don’t know what to do can someone help

then in the cal grant appeal form g-18
it says “if” i received a letter saying I was disqualified but I didn’t, i just see that I didn’t get it on the webgrants page.

and I called them about this but obviously I can’t submit my gpa through the phone or whatever, they just tell me stuff I already know

if I ask the counselor to send my gpa again will they reprocess the cal grant?

DO this on paper. Keep copies

1. get a letter on school letterhead signed by principal / registrar making 100% clear it was their error, not a teacher “change of heart”. If possible get additional letters from the actual teachers.

2. on the form checkbox, choose other , indicate “documented school error in reporting gpa’”

Send everything via FEDEX, UPS, OR USPS CERTIFIED mail — with signature confirmation!! (Important). Go online and print the signature confirmation when it comes in.

For UPS or overnight delivery only:
California Student Aid Commission
Attn: Program Administration and Services Division
11120 International Drive, STE. 100
Rancho Cordova, CA 95670

1. again, if this was school error —- give them the bill for overnight shipping.

2. dont trust the school to send a letter for you. Do all this yourself.

DO ALL THE ABOVE ASAP!!! Hope you dont have a long spring break.

Wait 2-3 weeks, then follow up with phone calls to the commission. Let them know you sent an appeal and you have a signature and tracking number to prove it was received. If they don’t respond favorably, find out who your state senator and state assembly person are. They have staff called “constituent services” that can rattle their chains. If you are lucky, some have walk-in offices.

Let them know you have an utgent matter with CSAC and ask them to intervene. I say this out of experience — had a similar issue and CSAC just sat on it and ignored.

This is all work you shouldn’t have to do. But don’t assume anyone will feel “bad” for you. Act swiftly!

Good luck

1 Like

No! Read below

Any insights? @gumbymom @ucbalumnus

okay I will. But one question- it says we can submit the appeal online? like we email it to a certain address w/ appeal in the headline

@Dcbarry Why would they believe me if I just submitted the appeal and stated what my grades are, wouldn’t they want me to resubmit my gpa again?

Get a letter from the principal or registrar, on school letterhead, stating unequivocally that the mistake was made and not because the teacher had a “change of heart.” Get more letters from the actual teachers if you can.