Rigor (For MCA)

Semesters Math: 8
Semesters English: 8
Semesters Foreign Language: 8
Semesters Lab Science: 6
Semesters Fine Arts: 2

Hours of ECs per week: 6-10
Held a Leadership Position in my schoolā€™s Interact Club

No adders (On a salty note: I donā€™t have control over where I live, where I go to school, etc and I donā€™t really understand its relevance besides diversityā€¦even though Iā€™ve probably had to work twice as hard as some of the kids who have these adders because my dad has a genetic disorder which prevents him from workingā€¦I guess thatā€™s why the UC holistic approach is 100% better. I wish these adders were more directly socioeconomic)

I was excited for a second about Cal Poly Pomona, but then I discovered that the community in and around the school is pretty dead (No sports, sparse clubs, etc) and that most people take 6+ years to graduate with a 4 year degree (not something that I want to do, especially with a 5 year degree). Just growing disappointment that I didnā€™t get into SLO at this point. I mean, thereā€™s probably some hope in there for a wait list but Iā€™m probably going to CC at this point with the hope of transferring in 2021 or something. Honestly two years of debt-free education would probably be the best decision I could make at this point, and then Iā€™d be able to go to SLO for two years and then do that fifth year internationally (something that I probably wouldnā€™t be able to do if I started at SLO) so I guess this is it for me. Hope you guys have a fantastic time at Cal Poly SLO. Maybe Iā€™ll visit some time (I still havenā€™t seen the campus other than in pictures lol) Thanks everyone.

I mean honestly Iā€™m trying to feel optimistic about my situation and move on but I still keep going back and checking the portal. I really wish Iā€™d just get the rejection already so at least I can get rid of the hope I do have.

@ChrispBear
Hang in there. It should be more options coming soon, UCā€™s around the corner. I also very interested in architecture, but since UC donā€™t have many option on it, I learn some other Environmental and Sustainable Design option and really Interesting. Also industrial design and other design related major. Going to CC and transfer is a good option too, as it will save money and maybe easier to get in?

I was at SLO Summer Arch Career last year. The campus is really nice, so many trees and very open. I was having severe allergy, nose bleeding almost everyday for weeks. So its my other concern as well if I get admitted. They were under construction for new dorm and food stall last year. The food option is blah. The Gym is new and really nice. Its so close to the beach, 15 min by bus, and we walked to downtown on Thursday Farmerā€™s market day. Downtown is small but very nice. Nothing much and its too far to go to LA or SF. So maybe around Pismo Beach and Avilla Beach is the closest.

When you study architecture, I am sure most of the time you spend in the studio. So maybe less or no time to do activities anyway. During my summer camp for a month, we were working and studying from 9 AM to at least 5-7 PM. And at the last week to finish the projects, many of us, stayed in the studio until 2-3 AM and going back in the morning. So no sleep basically.
A lot of hiking too, and very steep. But overall is a very valuable and nice summer.
Hope we both can get in, but if bit, its OK, so many ways to go to Rome, and so many ways to become an architect or whatever we want to be. Wish the best luck!!!

BTW, I also went to UCSD showcase, their campus is super nice with an ocean front view. Too bad no architecture.

@abby2022 I wish I wouldā€™ve applied to environmental design at the UCs. Iā€™ve been to San Luis Obispo before (my family used to live near there over in Arroyo Grande and we visit quite frequenctly) but never the university. I got waitlisted at Davis so I canā€™t imagine Iā€™ll be admitted to any of the more difficult UCs I applied to. Luck to you on those!

@parentinaustin If you could calculate your sonā€™s MCA and post it here, I think thatā€™d help me out a lot (Iā€™m wondering why I didnā€™t get waitlisted). Theres a decent calculator at http://mca.netlify.com

Hi, I was just waitlisted for Computer Engineeringā€¦ this is my 3rd waitlist so far. lol RIP
Anyways, I was wondering how the Cal Poly waitlist process goes, as they donā€™t seem to give very information about it on the portal its self. Specifically, I was wondering if there is any way that I could add my first semester grades from this year?
Currently, my stats are, SAT: 1500, GPA (with freshman year?): 3.9.7 making my MCA about 4500ish?? *Iā€™m not sure how anyone gets 10 semesters of math, but OK.
If, however, my first-semester senior grades could be taken into consideration, I feel like my application could be more likely to get off the waitlist as I got roughly a 4.8 last semester.
Final dumb question, how many people are usually accepted off the waitlist and what kind of chances do I have here?
Thank you all!

Do you know anything about Communication Cut offā€¦ My son got waitlisted and he has good scores 4.2 GPA, 31 ACT and excellent curricula and work

@eyemgh I am guessing his MCA is 4500ish. He didnā€™t enter middle school grades because he said they didnā€™t count as A-G based on how his middle school named the courses and his crazy mom (me) took him out of algebra in 7th gradeā€¦he is currently in Calc AB. I donā€™t know his specific break down on the ACT. He is still hoping to get a spot but got into his 2nd choice school.

@ChrispBear Using that calculator you shared, I get an MCA of 4385.

@parentinaustin Thank you!

So they likely arenā€™t using the old MCA caluclator, or a mistake was made with my application. I have an MCA of 4335 (you can calculate it yourself using the info posted above) and I still didnā€™t get wait listed.

Son was waitlisted, received notice last night
Business Management
4.1 GPA
1390 SAT

@sebasHopes: Unfortunately you cannot submit Senior grades for the waitlist. They will rank you on your MCA and as spots open up, you will then be admitted based on your MCA points. You can get 10 semesters of Math by having taken Algebra and Geometry in Middle school. That is why you are suppose to list your Middle school courses/grades in the application (an area of contention since instructions according to many posters is vague).

Each year the waitlist numbers change. It depends upon how many accepted students enroll and how many spots that have left after that.
2018 stats:

of applicants that qualified for the waitlist: 6643

of applicants admitted off the waitlist: 2436

2017 stats:

of applicants that qualified for the waitlist: 3168

of applicants admitted off the waitlist: 15

You can look up the information on the common dataset section C.

if i still havenā€™t heard should i just aspect rejection or are more waitlists coming?

@nodramallama13 There should be more acceptances and waitlists

Just checked my portal and Iā€™ve been waitlisted for Biological Sciences. Here are my stats:
-ACT 31, superscore 32
-GPA 4.2W/3.65UW/3.85CSU
-Max rigor
-Above 4500 MCA score
-Leadership and work experience
Fingers crossed! I love cal polyā€¦ my dad went there and met my mom in SLO.

Does anyone know when waitlists will recieve an admissions decision?

ugh i still have no determination guess this means a rejection:(

Does Cal Poly favor ACT over SAT? I noticed that when people are posting their stats that there are far less posting SATs than ACTs. Thanks.

Asking for a friend whoā€™s D will be applying for next yearā€™s class (2024): if her D took algebra and a foreign language in middle school but got Bs (B+s) in the class, should they still report the 8th grade class or does having a B in the class actually not help and they are better off omitting it?