Cal Poly SLO Class of 2023 Thread

@hso2019: According to the SLO website: Cal Poly Scholars offers are part of the financial aid process. When you receive your financial aid package, typically between mid-March and late May, it may include a Cal Poly Scholars award. Be sure to check your email and the Cal Poly Portal regularly for notifications.

My son just got put on the wait list today. Last years stats on their common data set filing for waitlisted students was 2,436 of 6,643 students on the waitlist were accepted. That’s about 37% I’m not sure if this years stats will be similar but that leaves some hope of my son getting in. He was already accepted to SDSU and Long Beach State. Hoping to get into UCSB as well.

i really just need to get a rejection so i can stop thing about this! i wanted to go here so bad but i guess that’s out. i still have “no determination” and it’s so frustrating.

His Cal State GPA was 3.85 and SAT 1380. Applied as a Business Major

May I ask a question about financial aid? S just received his financial aid offer - basically a federal loan covering full costs - tuition and housing. We weren’t eligible for FAFSA and the financial aid calculators at private schools, including Ivies, noted 0% need/100% family responsibility for tuition and housing. Is this “award” (loan) an indication of CP strongly recruiting S or is everyone eligible for federal loans? Not sure how we ended up qualifying for this, even if it is a loan.

Hello, I have a question about working while at Cal poly in order to pay for college. I am in a bit of a tricky situation where my efc is high enough that I will not receive any financial aid, but my parents are in a financial situation that allows them to only contribute a fraction of tuition, which leaves me around $24,000 per year for me to handle. My question is whether there are jobs available at or around Cal Poly that would help limit the amount of debt I will be in after graduating or if there are any other options available to me?

@Mojo88 I think this is standard for everyone. I got this each year for my daughter who is a Senior at Cal Poly, got it for my 2nd daughter a couple years ago and just received the same information for my youngest daughter who will attend in the fall.

@StacysMom24 Did your D get waitlisted or are you still waiting to hear back?

@kmccole still waiting. but i re checked her MCA and its only 4330, so now i think its between waitlist and rejection ??‍♀️ the waiting ???

@Mojo88 I had a same question! I was not sure why we qualified for the loan for the full amount. I have an older son who is in private college, and he only qualify for minimum amount of unsubsidized loan. I guess I don’t understand the federal loans at all how it works…

This is my understanding: Anybody that fill outs a FAFSA, qualifies for the $5k federal loan. There are two types of $5k loans depending of the parents income (unsubsidized loan is the one where the interest accrue now and the subsidized loan start accruing upon graduation). For the tuition balance above the $5k, the parents can qualify for a federal loan.

If you are in-state you qualify for the full amount for both loans because the tuition and fees are less than $29k/year.

Everybody that submitted a FAFSA on time gets this.

@StacysMom24 Fingers crossed she gets waitlisted!

Thank you all on the answers to the federal loans! Didn’t understand the process at all - you have clarified for us, thank you!

Any admitted students getting an error when clicking on “university housing”? No idea what the process of applying for housing is like/when it opens

Did anyone else get a email inviting you to apply to the honors college? I want to apply but they state on the application that you need a 3.75 unweighted GPA and I have like a 3.73 so that’s fun. I guess if I do end up going to SLO I’ll try to apply to the honors college once I’m already a student

I have not seen any agriculture science major’s accepted or waitlisted. Anyone?

@soapdispenser Yes, my D got one. She assumed it was sent to all accepted students, but maybe not? She has above a 3.75 UW. Let us know what you learn.

Did other get this email?

If your student has been offered admission (even if they have not yet made their final decision) please join the Cal Poly SLO Mustang Parents Facebook page. Parents and students are both welcome to join. Lots of useful info about the school and upcoming deadlines. Accepted students are also allowed to join the Cal Poly SLO Class Of 2023 (official) Facebook page to learn about the school and meet potential roommates.

@soapdispenser The housing application hasn’t opened quite yet. Once it opens, you won’t receive an error message. Cal poly’s housing applications typically open around 9 am pacific when they do open. I’d string,y encourage joining the cal poly slo Mustang parent Facebook page, even if you’re not normally a Facebook type. Lots of info about housing and other things on it.

@CharlieEcho35 , currently only need-based aid has been released. Scholarships are offered by department and will roll out through Spring and summer. Cal Poly doesn’t offer as many scholarships as you’d see from a private or a UC, but then again the tuition is also lower to begin with. There is no additional application beyond the fafsa youve already completed that’s necessary to apply for department scholarships. The cal poly financial aid website also has a bulletin board of outside scholarships for which you can apply.