Cal Poly SLO Class of 2023 Thread

@hsco2019 my son (National Merit Scholar) received an award from CP SLO. You check your financial aid and click on the year and it shows up there. He just received notification yesterday that he received the actual National Merit Scholarship so I’m hoping it stacks and doesn’t get deducted from CP’s!

@Drummer1030 I posted it here:

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/22111998/#Comment_22111998

(I think I did that right.) No photos, just a written review.

@hsco2019 and @Bridge19 – Ditto for S19. He emailed a copy of his NMF letter on/around March 15 and received an email notifying him of a change to his CPSLO portal for financial aid March 25.

I accepted their admissions offer Monday for civil engineering. I absolutely love their “learn by doing” philosophy and the area surrounding the campus is very beautiful. CAL POLY '23 GO MUSTANGS!!! :slight_smile:

Congrats @CharlieEcho35 !!

@JBSeattle Thanks! :smiley:

If your student has been offered admission, congratulations. As they make their decision, you’re welcome to join the Cal Poly SLO Mustang Parents Facebook page. It’s a great community and will have a lot of useful info for you as your student begins their time as s Cal Poly Mustang. (Please be sure to answer the three screening questions that will pop up when you request to join.)

I was denied admissions at SLO but it was my top choice. I am considering taking a gap year and moving to SLO and getting a job there and then re-applying for the class of 2024. Would living there and working there qualify me as a SLO resident and give me the points on my MCA?

@sosava: To be considered in the local service area, you need to attend a local service area High school as a Freshman applicant. Students applying from high schools in San Luis Obispo, southern Monterey, and northern Santa Barbara Counties may be assigned additional points in the multi-valued selection criteria.

Or as an Upper Division transfer: home domicile is within
San Luis Obispo, southern Monterey, and northern Santa Barbara Counties may be assigned additional points in the multi-valued selection criteria.

I am a freshman applicant who was wait-listed for Architecture and I was looking at old threads to try and find out if many Architecture students get off the wait-list, however, in past years it seems that nobody has. Is this due to many people not actually being aware of/ posting to threads or is it because Architecture students don’t usually get off the wait-list at all because CP SLO is such a great Architecture school? (my CSU GPA is 4.04, SAT is 1460, and MCA is around 4599 in case anyone has any insight about my chances)

Also thanks so much @Gumbymom and all others who have been very supportive through this whole process it really helps a lot knowing that we are not alone.

@katara25: I do think part of the problem is that CC is a small specific group of posters so I am sure there are some waitlisted Architecture applicants that have been admitted just not posting here. Best of luck and hopefully you have other options.

Any new scholarships given?

@katara25 My sister was WL for architecture last year and got in. So I know off hand 1 person!

any opinions on cal poly slo business school vs syracuse dual major (whitman + newhouse)? Syracuse offered maximum possible merit scholarship but still significantly expensive than SLO. Looking for feedback w.r.t. internships, leadership experience, placements after graduation and any other important aspects to look for.

Any thoughts about the Kennedy Library closure? My understanding is that the one library on campus and will be closed for two years. Anyone have info on how they will still meet the research needs of the students? For me access to librarians and professional guidance in learning the skill of academic research is pretty critical. My son is deciding between Berkeley and SLO. We were leaning to SLO. This news concerns me… full disclosure I am an academic librarian at a small college.

I’m a transfer architecture applicant and I still didn’t receive anything from cal poly. I wonder if I should contact them today to ask about my admission decision? Thank you

@katara25 when did your sister find out last year?

@bairsouth I think you mean @mango1980

Anyone know when waitlist decisions come out?

@katara25 Yes, you’re right. Thanks!

@mango1980 when did your sister hear last year?