Cal Poly SLO Class of 2023 Thread

If I login to calpoly student center, it says that applicant needs to send SAT/ACT scores and final transcript request.
I have two questions

• SAT/ACT score has already been sent (even before application was received ). Is this in error
  • Final Transcript from school. Is this only final transcript or all transcripts ( I am an IB Student and OOS) and hence cannot use California automatic download systems

@2km2km, most likely

@frmn123, call admissions. They’re your best resource.

Most likely going to change my major to statistics haha

4650 for industrial engineering?
And thanks!

@crazycrabman, that should be competitive. As always with SLO though, have a safety.

Hi @eyemgh and @Gumbymom, Your info has been so helpful over the years I’ve followed CC!!!

My D has applied to SLO architecture with a 4601 MCA. In state, rural northern CA. Architecture MCAs seem pretty scarce. Do either of you have a guess on her chances? It’s her top choice. Thanks much!

Sorry. I’m not going to be of any real help. I’d think it would be competitive, but probably close to the bubble.

@GhidottiDad: How does her stats compare to the 2018 Freshman Profile? How is her HS course rigor?

2018 Freshman profile Averages of the College of Architecture and Environmental Design:
SLO GPA: 4.02 ACT: 29 SAT: 1364

@GhidottiDad, I was only able to find one MCA posted for 2018…4670. I did find 2 in 2017 though…4468 and 4550. That was the year that they over enrolled though. They’ve been making up for that, accepting fewer students since. So, I’m sticking with my original prediction that she’ll be in the hunt, but it could go either way. It’s all about the cohort applying. Fingers crossed. Wish her luck!

@eyemgh and @Gumbymom Her SLO capped and weighted GPA is better than than the 2018 profile at 4.15, but her SAT is lower at 1240. Her RIGOR is maxed out along with her EC’s. I’m hoping not all the architecture applicants will max out both RIGOR and EC’s as she has.

So is the “Profile” an average, meaning that a kid could get in below that number? And the MCA is an actual cutoff, right? She’s in an Early College High School and has 13 graded college courses through last Summer Semester that have to be counted as double credit for SLO (per CSU rules on GPA) which drops her grade point down. Her UC weighted and capped GPA is 4.29. So her SLO GPA of 4.15 is a big hit to take just for taking a bunch of Community College courses and getting “A’s” in all of them. She’ll actually graduate in June with a 2 year AA CA Community College degree in Natural Sciences, but that is only hurting her with Cal Poly, unfortunately.
Really appreciate your thoughts on this!

Yes, profile is the mean, whereas MCA is the bottom. We never know what that bottom MCA score really is, but for more common majors can intuit a reasonable guess based not on those reported who did get in, but the scores of students who did not. Taking more classes does dilute the impact of the AP courses. There are strengths and weakness to algorithm admission programs for sure.

I really think she has a shot. If she gets in, that credit will help a lot. My son is a masters candidate in ME. He was able to take grad classes starting his third year of his BS. Best of luck to her!

My daughter has applied to BRAE. She has a 4.1 GPA and her ACT score is 30.How are her chances of getting in?

Thanks for all the help!

Can anyone tell me whether an MCA of 4441.911 will cut it for a History major? @Gumbymom @eyemgh

@portalupdateplz, no MCAs were reported in the Final Status thread last year. Sorry. History is projected to accept a bit over 40% of the applicants. I would think it would be competitive. It’s Cal Poly though. Have a safety.

@eyemgh thanks so much!

Have decisions been released?

My understanding is that the first decisions will not be released until mid Feb at earliest and it could be until later into March. Someone like @eyemgh probably can give you a more complete answer. He is the Cal Poly expert, I am just the janitor!

As @JBSeattle said, they typically roll out later. @Gumbymom has kept pretty close track of the dates over the past years.

@JBSeattle: Last year was an exception and decisions went out late but the usually they start Mid-February possibly Feb 15th. OOS applicants usually hear first and then in-state. They use to do alphabetically by College, so they would start with the College of Agriculture first but the last 2 years there has not been a specific pattern. The results will roll out for about 2 weeks, then the waitlisted applicants will be notified followed finally by the rejections.

Again, this has been the usual pattern, but every year things change so I would check the portal starting in February.