Cal Poly SLO Class of 2023 Thread

How much longer do you think I should wait untill I should start worrying?

I GOT IN! :smiley: got in for architecture

@eyemgh sorry for repeat message didn’t @ you the first time but how long do you think I should wait till I start worrying?

anyone else still waiting for child development or should i consider this a rejection or waitlist?

JWNimble- first congrats to you
wondering if you have been checking your portal regularly and this was an acceptance that posted this morning ? Many of us are wondering and trying to figure out if acceptances are still trickling out. Thanks

@ChrispBear, the 2018 Final Status thread is much less robust, but you might get some insight by searching the with the magnifying glass in that thread.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/cal-poly-san-luis-obispo/2060363-2018-final-status-p1.html

@KapuaBear, I think 4700 is going to be a reach. It’s possible, but the odds are against. Fingers crossed.

@3girlsinCA and JWNimble

If you would all do a little extra leg work and calculate your MCAs and post to the Final Status thread, it would be VERY helpful to future applicants. Thanks for the extra effort!

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/cal-poly-san-luis-obispo/2128874-understanding-the-mca-plus-calculator.html#latest

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/cal-poly-san-luis-obispo/2128373-2019-final-status.html#latest

@JWMNimble congratulations! When did you hear?

Sorry for the late reply @zoea4057
 my daughter’s MCA score came out to 4422. In terms of more admissions info, the email she received stated that her acceptance was an early admission decision from them. So, there is still plenty of time for good news to come your way, along with everyone else who is portal checking. The email also stated that CP received over 65,000 applications for 5,400 available spaces for their 2023 class. I know the wait is trying, but do not lose hope
 My daughter is still waiting and hoping to hear great news from her first choice. Best wishes to all!

didnt realize how much being a local resident factored into acceptances. playing with the MCA calculator, discovered that being local adds almost 500 points to your MCA. non-locals look like they have to be beyond stellar to compete with locals
 understandable if the objective of CSUs is to serve the local community and residents
 but seems this could be made more apparent to applicants who arent local, so they can be more realistic about their chances of getting in. anyone know what the the acceptance rate of non-local applicants is?

this article explains things.
https://edsource.org/2017/csu-looks-to-favor-locals-in-admission-a-move-that-will-help-those-who-need-to-stay-close-to-home/589011

saying only “a few” make mistakes on the middle school grades is just not true. I have read this thread and see a high number on this site, and we know several personally. My D19 downloaded the Cal State Application and meticulously filled it out. It wasn’t on the actual form, she gave it to me to review and I reviewed everything on the form before she filled it out online and hit the send button. Not sure if she even noticed there were actual instructions because filling out the information was pretty straight forward, there was even big bands saying 9th grade, 10th grade, etc

After I saw a comment on this site about middle school grades that could be added to 9th grade and checked her application, sure enough she didn’t include them. No problem, just call the admissions office (this was December), and they said “sorry, you can change anything except that. Why? It was obviously in enough time to consider. Their response was since they added it to the website this year, so everyone should see it they decided not to make exceptions”. Really?

I am sorry, but this is pretty ridiculous. If you have had a problem for years, fix it on the actual form. Would it have been that hard to add a Middle School Math and Language Band rather then adding it to a grade that isn’t accurately when the student took it? Especially something so important to these kids lives. I can see if it was a problem the first time the form was produced, but not after a year.

And, if you are using a formula to select candidates PUBLISH IT! And not by someone on this site who isn’t an employee of the school. Why should those “in the know” get more information then the average first time family just trying to apply to colleges.

So my D19 who now that I know would have had a 4850 had she included Algebra I, Geometry, and Spanish 1 on her form won’t be studying Computer Science at Cal Poly. She doesn’t qualify because she will show as less “rigor” (which is funny, as she took 12 AP Classes) and since she doesn’t show 4 years of math (she maxed out on math at her school taking AP Calc BC as a junior). I think her numbers without the middle school grades are around 4620.

Sorry for the long post, I am not venting as much as it is just unfortunate for a lot of kids that put in a lot of hard work to hit a road block because of a poorly designed form.

Totally agree with 19parent. My DS has obtained nothing but “A” grades in high school, and a 34 ACT, but still did not get into to Cal Poly. Yes, he should have been more careful reading the instructions, but this is not an isolated case. This is harming a lot of kids based on what I see on CC and Reddit. Cal Poly was my son’s first choice and he is extremely disappointed. It is shameful that Cal Poly does not fix this.

@19parent I think your points are very well made. I posted last night when reading comments by clearly frustrated applicants. The application “appears” to be straightforward which lulls applicants into a false sense of comfort. I’ve heard from more than one college advisor professional that the application is well understood to be tricky. If the CSUs took a holistic approach, the fussiness of the app would matter less, but as you say, some kids who REALLY wanted to attend Cal poly will miss out over a technicality.

@sf94121, if CP is still doing it the same as they did in 2013, they make 2/3 of their acceptances before considering, the other non-academic/EC factors. Only then do they add them in and re-rank.

@cornqueen, @GoDogsGo and @19parent,

I’ve said many times that no school is perfect. This happens to be one of Cal Poly’s weaknesses. It is administratively aloof and cold, not only in the application process, but for matriculating students too. It’s not limited to CP. I once heard a student refer to Berkeley as “like going to school at the DMV.” I think most CA publics have some form of this. This specific instance sucks, because the fix is so easy, bonus by top class achieved, not the bulk of classes taken. Plus, if found before ranking, they could let students update their applications. Alas, it is what it is.

ah that makes sense. i dont mind giving preferential treatment to SLO locals, though, even if it hurts us folks up in Nor Cal. This state is bigger than most countries and has enough economic/social problems to deal with that it doesnt need to make life more difficult for Californians and their families/kids trying to eek out their existence here.

We are dealing with the same issue! It’s really not fair to these kids! They have worked so hard for the last 7 years and to have their dream of going to CP squashed because of a minor mistake is just not right!!! If they want middle school classes and grades, it should be CLEARLY stated!!

@uwlover267 We are waiting with baited breath over here for communications - it’s a reach though - would like to just know either way!

@eyemgh I appreciate that all schools have their glitch and weakness, and I appreciate you didn’t say “she should have read the instructions”, because yes, looking back, both of us should have double checked to see if there was anything else she was missing. I am looking at it more from a logical perspective that says if hundreds (that is only my guess extrapolating from the replies I have seen) make the same mistake on the application, a mistake that is easily fixable and probably is eliminating some of the strongest applications, those that are taking higher level classes in middles school, then you would think someone would want to fix it. Would my daughter have picked Cal Poly, I am not sure, but it would have been nice to have had CP in the mix.

My son got in - 3.4 unweighted, 3.6 weighted, 33 ACT w 11 writing
 from MT
 - MCA around 4150 I think?.. didn’t get his 1st major (psychology) but got accepted for his alternate major. (Envornmental Mgt)

I think they are now accepting alternate majors - so its not over yet! SO don’t give up hope!!

This just came in today around noon.