Cal Poly SLO Class of 2025 Regular Decision

Are you in-state, non-local?

yah Iā€™m from norcal and a lot of my classmates havenā€™t heard

1 Like

Same :frowning: norcal transfer.

Has anyone heard back for first-year, English major, in-state?

1 Like

My daughter received her acceptance as an English major on Tuesday.

Has anyone heard from materials engineering in state?

They are so slowwwwwww

1 Like

My daughterā€™s friend got in for English on Tuesday. In-state, SoCal.

Does anyone know how much they consider your second major for acceptance? Also, what is the average MCA or GPA of accepted architectural engineering majors or construction management majors?

Yes Iā€™m also very curious about alternate majors and if they really consider that for acceptanceā€¦

no, they are so SLOOOO :smiley:

8 Likes

Same here.

Looking at past threads every year there are just a few, like 5-6 who post that they got the second major. I think it only happens when the second major is low on applicants, so you arenā€™t equally considered for both or automatically put in the second pool if you donā€™t make the cut off for major 1. Just an educated guess.

They usually donā€™t consider second major at all. I asked this question at a Cal Poly session in November - and the admissions officer said usually they only consider your primary major request and they consider you for a secondary major very very rarely (I think she said you have to be an exceptional candidate that Cal Poly really wants to admit but they cannot admit you to your primary major choice).

You can look back at last years stats thread to find GPAā€™s of admitted students. MCA will not be accurate since test scores are not considered this year.

Can you take a look at the Freshman profiles for each College to determine if you are within range.

2 Likes

I just got accepted to Cal Poly SLO as a public health major a few days ago and Iā€™m still super excited. However I have a few concerns about the difficulty of classes because I am interested in going on a pre-med track towards medical school. I saw a grade distribution report from winter 2018 on Reddit where less than half the students in public health received Aā€™s and Bā€™s which is pretty concerning in its own right. In addition, I realized many classes are heavily impacted and there are classes that are prerequisites for my flow chart classes that Iā€™m worried will be impacted. With my pre-med track, will I still be able to graduate on time in four years with a GPA acceptable for medical school? Please help out a scared prospective freshie because I REALLY want to go to cal poly SLO.

TLDR:
Scared that low a/b rate for my major and impacted classes will hurt med school chances

1 Like

A semester system is easier to get better grades. Med school wants to see clinical experiences as well. SLO is pretty small & isolated, so thatā€™s another consideration.

You are going to find the lower division classes needed for Medical school applications are all going to be impacted and competitive at most of the California public schools. SLO accepted you, so they think you can handle the curriculum and if you are not able to handle it at an Undergrad level, how are you going to survive in Medical school? California as a state has more ā€œPre-Medā€ intended students than spots available so you will want to thrive academically wherever you end up attending.

Also realize that 60% of ā€œPre-Medā€ students never make to the application stage or get into Medical school so consider your plan B. Public Health can lead to other Healthcare related fields.

Have faith in yourself and your abilities. I cannot speak for the availability of Medical related ECā€™s but SLO does have a Pre-Health advising office that will help you in your endeavors.

https://prehealth.calpoly.edu/

Best of luck

2 Likes

Any news on Econ majors? I havenā€™t seen one person yet mention Econ. Either they havenā€™t gotten to them or just not mentioned here or elsewhere.

ā€œ if you are not able to handle it at an Undergrad level, how are you going to survive in Medical schoolā€ really rung true with me. Thank you so much for that. I think with that said I feel ready to take on college!

2 Likes