Cal Poly SLO Class of 2025 Regular Decision

Since not that many people were accepted during the acceptance round, does that mean that more people will be taken of the waitlist?

Are those figures for engineers or all majors? The 5900 students?

All majors im sure

That is amazing. Congrats on Stanford. FYI, the acceptance rate is higher than 9%. They need to admit more than 5900 to yield that many. But whatever the overall acceptance rate is, I am sure it is much lower for CS.

1 Like

Yes, probably overall number of applicants. Canā€™t imagine 65k applying just for CS. Still, I thought my sonā€™s academics are stellar. Apparently, not

The college admin thing is so weird and probably this year didnā€™t help. One of my sonā€™s bestie is ranked top 5. UW GPA 4.0 and CSU GPA is prob max since heā€™s taken 8-9 APā€™s and a ton of college math. Great ECs, leadership, varsity sports. He applied for Aeronautical Engr. and found out today he was waitlisted. He got regents at UCLA, UofIllinois-ChampaignUrbana, Seton Hall (Honors and some masters program combo), and Purdue. Heā€™s deferred at MIT with a few more RDs to be notified. Go figure.

2 Likes

I think I read earlier in the thread that they had accepted around 16k students. That makes sense for a yield of 5900

I saw the 16k number but I think it was a guess based on last yearā€™s acceptance rate.

1 Like

They must have had many equally highly qualified applicants especially minus test scores so it must have been a lottery of sorts between them.

Are you sure your son was accepted to Stanford? Surely if he was waitlisted at Cal Poly, thereā€™s no way he would be accepted at Stanford. Another ā€œoutlierā€ I guess. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

We donā€™t know how many have been accepted.

You were waitlisted at SLO, so according to your logic I assume you also have been accepted to ā€œbetterā€ schools already, correct?

Congrats! :roll_eyes:

Nope, not yet, Iā€™ll definitely let you know. No rejections yet. And thatā€™s not my logic. Iā€™m not saying if you are waitlisted at Cal Poly, you will get into better schools. Not sure where you read that. What I am saying is if you are waitlisted at Cal Poly, does not mean you will not get into better schools. CP is not a filter for other schools. Their selection criteria is different. Highly qualified applicants get waitlisted all the time (see Mumfromca above). Thatā€™s it. Chances are low for top engineering (and other impacted programs) schools period. Cal Polyā€™s decision is not correlated to the other schools. They donā€™t work together. My neighbor is in engineering program at Cal Berkeley as a Jr., I remember he didnā€™t get into everywhere he applied. Thatā€™s it.

8 Likes

Canā€™t wait to celebrate with you!

1 Like

Do you think there is any chance there many be more acceptances left to come out?

1 Like

@jntwinmama I think, so, too. His other major wouldā€™ve been math so I figured not that popular (no offense to math majors, but math is scary and I am a chemical engr!). But what makes me perplexed is my endodentist told us yesterday his daughter got in for bio last week and when he asked about stats, I shared with him my sonā€™s GPAs and ACT (we talked private school, too) and he said his daughter has way lower than my sonā€™s gpa and ACT. My sonā€™s portal still says app still under review so Iā€™m pretty sure heā€™s in the rejection wave.

1 Like

So my daughter hasnā€™t heard yet either, applied to biological sciences. Her App Status still says Completed.

@HifromSanDiego My son was among the 30% deferred at Brown and weā€™ve been waiting forever since that Dec notification that Iā€™m so pessimistic since we havenā€™t heard. He is top 9% ELC, so we have UC Merced as a back up (Iā€™m actually okay with that from a strategic standpoint with his aspirations, tho!). I will adjust my attitude by Monday. Iā€™m sending tons of good luck to your kiddo and mine!!

2 Likes

Based on previous years, unfortunately yes.

anyone hear from Graphic Design ? Didnā€™t see any admits yet and wondering if they have released any decisions since itā€™s a portfolio submission program.