Cal Poly SLO Class of 2025 Regular Decision

Could someone provide me a link to last years admissions statistics?

I have seen you post and am very surprised your son was not admitted (although I think some more acceptances could dribble out before the rejections.) I really think it was a lottery of sorts in the more competitive majors, especially with the test blind policy. BTW, I think my boys lost their chance at UCLA and Berkeley because of the test blind policy.

3 Likes

There are more WL’s to be announced tomorrow! Good luck :pray:

SLO is not some sort of anomalous unicorn. if you get waitlisted at SLO, your chances at getting into a “better” school are generally not going to be very good, because college admissions are sort of
you know
“competitive” after all. the same holds true for any other school an applicant would get waitlisted at compared to “better” schools applied to as well. everything is left up to some chance with variables of course, but stop saying things that aren’t true. nobody ever said SLO was a “filter” for other schools or somehow “correlated” your chances for admission to other schools.

BTW, your neighbor at Berkeley engineering is a discrete data point that is statistically irrelevant.

Chill out and stop arguing on here lmao

9 Likes

Dude what’s your problem? Why are you so hostile? Chill out, and let people have hope. You’re contributing nothing but negativity.

18 Likes

According to this link, they admitted over 20,000 students last year!

1 Like

Delete.

Wasnt there a large spreadsheet with admissions statistics for last year?

@jntwinmama Yup. I think test optional would’ve helped our boys 100%. I think S21 3.88/4.21/4.54 is borderline potential for Cal/UCLA. Throw in a 36 and he would’ve had a shot. But you take the test score away, it’s not a unique GPA. I just think there will be a ton of 3.9+ UW that would have the same great ECs, leadership, essay strength as his and what’s an AO to do?

Thanks for posting the profile on the freshman admits. Looking at the test score ranges just make me wanna smile/laugh/cry. :joy:

6 Likes

Exactly, I am right there with you.

did they finish all acceptances or is there another wave?

I think your attitude is fabulous and you are making things easier during this endless wait for your son. However, having been through this once before in CA and after reading so many of your posts this year about your S, I believe that you are going to be getting good news as the UC decisions roll out. I am anxious to see your posts as he starts getting his acceptances.

7 Likes

@laughingatyou2: I have been a CC poster/contributor for over 7 years and I can tell you that I have seen several students get denied from SLO and get into excellent schools like UC Berkeley, UCLA and others so not such a rare occurrence. If you continue to press your point, I will flag your posts and the Moderators can decide your fate.

Everyone has a right to their opinion but no need to be rude about it.

26 Likes

@Gumbymom -

Thank you for your input. At no time was it said you could not get into an “excellent” school after being denied @ SLO. A dose of reality with facts and figures was injected into a framework that was beyond optimistic, and apparently any discussion that includes reality is now frowned upon.

It was originally said that “Your son’s friend should not expect too much for his chances for Engineering at Cal, UCLA and Princeton if he didn’t get into SLO for Engineering.” That statement is in no way rude or otherwise, but it is reality given the relative numbers at each of the aforementioned schools, the accepted applicant profile, etc.

In response to comments that seemed to make the jump that you would likely get into those schools (or those like it) after being waitlisted or denied @ SLO, it was simply said that your chances at those original schools (or similar ones) “are generally not going to be very good.” That is not rude, but it is true. Finally, this is not “pressing a point,” but rather is what was said. The fact is that at no time was anything framed as you have stated.

Good luck to everyone accepted, still waiting, and moving on!

CC is not a debating forum. Express your opinion and move on. Again, continuing to argue the point will get your posts flagged.

This is an anxious time for applicants so just leave it alone please. Unless you work in admissions at any college, no one knows what goes on behind the scenes so this is all speculation.

14 Likes

@Gumbymom - thank you.

This year itself I believe will be an anomaly across the US – especially with the strict formula that SLO uses with a significant bump of applicants. It really becomes a lottery between highly pure academic scored folk.

With other schools, there are wrinkles around the edges that can make/break a decision for a candidate - prime example being essays.

In real life, we reference social media in our hiring decisions. Perhaps colleges may too. If they were to check CC, some responses here reflecting character would break hard one way for another. Being civil matters.

Good luck everyone whether accepted, waitlisted, or still waiting for SLO and other potential destinations.

5 Likes

Thank you for the your post. I agree that is year is not your typical year and it is difficult to understand the how and why decisions are made.

I can tell all applicants and I have posted this before: Where you go for Undergrad will not define you, it is what you do with the opportunities you are given that may you successful.

8 Likes

My son has not heard from Cal Poly SLO, so probably have to assume rejected. He has a very high ACT score and was not allowed to submit his score to Cal Poly. I might say that other schools (like those out of state) that consider the ACT at least as an option he might have a better chance.