Cal Poly SLO Class of 2025 Regular Decision

Listen to Gumbymom. She is absolutely right. Make the most of any opportunity given to you. Consider it a blessing and roll with it.

I agree that with the high ACT score he may fare better at the other schools that would accept a score. Test optional/blind has turned a crazy world into an insane world as the sobering numbers in this article show:

@loveorangecats Im talking about him too much if you know my background!! First born mom syndrome, I have, I know!! Thank you! I appreciate the parents who are supporters of all the families and kids’ efforts!

1 Like

Yes, it is wise to give many different kinds of schools an application. Schools look for “fits” and one never quit knows what that means in any given year–so going for it was the right thing to do. And remember, it is the schools that make the acceptance decision, you shouldn’t make the decision for the school by not applying !!

1 Like

You can’t compare your chances at other schools that allow you to share essays, actual details about what you have done, who make decisions taking those things into consideration. story. Ice seen many WL of 4.0+ GPAs.
I have seen very few GPAs in the SLO admits that are below 4.0. Competitive schools also tend towards lots of high GPAs but also might give someone else a shot based on their. Not so much for SLO. So, I think we all need to keep our hopes up but also realize that all of the accomplishments and hard work students put in during high school are mostly invisible to SLO admissions process. Best of luck!

2 Likes

Yes, I agree with you. I believe my sons college chances to be better at the UC’s than the CSU’s because the CSU’s can’t see that he is a science national award winner (for instance). I think the CSU’s are at least partially tied to admitting local students and it is much easier to get into one’s CSU local school just because that is where you live. My son got into his local CSU in mid-January and was admitted to the engineering program of his choice-although he wants to see a new part of the world.

3 Likes

Thanks @Gumbymom and @Knights89! That makes total sense.

1 Like

Just a fact from 2020 CA Admissions data: SLO Accepted 79% of OOS last year. This is absolutely ridiculous, if not criminal. Accepted 4,252/5,358 Fall 2020. Source:
Workbook: Student Origins @Gumbymom please feel to comment and add any perspective.

I still have not heard a decision, I am a little confused on why acceptances, waitlists, and rejections have all come out but I haven’t seen anything.

OOS is so high because the yield is so low once they see the cost.

OOS SAT and gpa is actually higher than in-state so it looks like OOS applicants are more self-selecting and higher stat kids apply.

1 Like

No rejections have been released yet

1 Like

Rejections have been released to some in state at least. Five or six of my friends have received rejections.

1 Like

We are also waiting as no update yet on my DD’s portal

ohh

Starting to feel like Weightlist rather than Waitlist !

4 Likes

Yeah, if you look at the yield, it’s only like 25%, which is considerably lower than SLO’s overall yield. @bigfandave I initially had the same reaction you did when I looked at the acceptance rate, but the yield really provides a counterbalance.

Then again, I think this year all traditional rules seem to be off the table and everything’s much more of a crapshoot than pre-COVID.

Fingers crossed for families on the waitlist that kids make decisions and spots open up.

1 Like

Same boat. Sigh. Cal schools not interested in 36 ACT and Cal Poly does not appear to take into account grades earned at the more highly competitive high schools. Out of state we go. I think my child is ok with it and we can swing it. It’s definitely a financial hit that impacts some families more than others.

Edit: adding that I hope Cal Poly did factor in whether students checked the boxes for first gen, impacted by Covid, etc. There is an equity component they are supposedly addressing. I did not see those factors included in the admissions stats posted. I recall there were quite a few options.

4 Likes

I’ve heard of kids with astronomical GPAs from out of state and very mediocre tests scores they did not submit getting into CA public schools. Then again, I don’t know what else they accomplished and really should not judge.

Based on the posts here, there are a lot of really talented, accomplished kids out there and just not enough spaces at the favorite, sunny schools. It all bodes well for our future.

1 Like

Based on significant increases to applications, test blind policies and an already highly competitive application process, there will be many high stats kids in the same boat. Looking around the country it seems to me that UC in particular needs to do a much better job of accommodating in state kids. My S21 is still hoping for a CP or UC admit but he’s also looking at out of state flagships and privates. It’s just the nature of this process this year perhaps more than ever.

3 Likes

It would appear SLO is casting a broad net in hopes of reigning in markedly higher tuition, and the yield won’t change (a macroeconomic issue).

1 Like