Cal Poly SLO Class of 2025 Regular Decision

Sure there are some acceptances that trickle out from the original wave, so anything is possible and there are always exceptions, just saying the decision pattern is pretty consistent. Why waitlist all these very qualified applicants if you still have acceptances pending?? Again I am not in admissions and most of the time their decisions can defy logic.

2 Likes

I understand. But these are public universities, not private ones. Fairness and evenhandedness is required when dealing with the public. I would hate to think of two application processes for state schools. Good luck to you!

1 Like

I just spoke to a gentleman in SLO Admissions, and he told me that when diff departments request more approvals, that’s when they inform more applicants. He also told me that there are several thousand applications that they haven’t read yet !!

3 Likes

lol what

1 Like

I agree and this was basically the UC’s argument in their appeal of this summer’s court order requiring that they not consider test scores at all starting immediately rather then be test-optional for the next few years as they had already planned.

2 Likes

Let’s hope so!

1 Like

I didn’t think they read them, I thought they just put all the applications into a computer or something

1 Like

Ahh… that’s why my daughter’s status is completed vs pending. :see_no_evil:

But it seems to me that is a disingenuous argument. For years GPA and SAT scores were the backbone of college acceptance. Someone not having an internship is not the same thing as someone not taking the SAT. Anyway, it is a stressful time and we all want an advantage for our kids so they can move on in a good way. Best wishes and hope it all ends well for you.

1 Like

Sometimes Colleges will not accept or may decide to waitlist high achieving students to protect their yield. That is if the student is considered (through whatever criteria) to not accept admission because they have the kind of stats to go to another T20 school, admission may not be offered.

2 Likes

Are you thinking “pending” is they haven’t reviewed her app fully and “completed” is probable waitlist?

No idea honestly. I guess some see ‘no determination’ and we have always seen ‘complete’ from the beginning, so I think her app has just not been read - not that there is much to read on the CSU apps! lol

Where are you seeing pending or complete? All I see is
“Thank you for applying to Cal Poly. We have received your application. No determination has been made at this time.” when I click “Application Status”.

4 Likes

That’s what we are seeing too.

Ah, ok! Thanks.

I am not questioning you, as in thinking I know any different, but is this something you’ve heard directly from a reliable source, or something you just suspect?

When I click on Check Status, it just says:
Biological Sciences
Cal Poly Undergraduate Complete

That’s it! Weird.

Are you in the Cal Poly Portal (which is where students look for accept/waitlist/reject) or the Cal State Apply site that just gives submission status? The portal is where students are seeing “No determination” message. I think the Cal State Apply shows if the application is “complete” (as in all sections were filled out, etc)

3 Likes

This is pretty common knowledge. I don’t know how it may or may not relate to Cal Poly but many schools in the 25-60 rankings category routinely practice yield management in this way b/c top 25-eligible kids use them as safeties. The rankings (which matter greatly to many universities) penalize you for a low yield. So schools waitlist high-performing students (relative to their normal admission stats) to see if they really want to go there or not. In Cal Poly’s case I don’t think it’s about moving up in the rankings, but rather being able to better predict it’s class size because so many majors are impacted.

5 Likes

You can totally question me :). Same as @Cameron121, this is common knowledge from many posts and from word of mouth. I do not have any official source, but it makes sense.