Cal Poly SLO Class of 2025 Regular Decision

Is SLO ranked overall on some list as being between #25-60 or are you referring to other schools in general?

I’ve seen this done before with some of my older daughters friends in 2017.

I was referring to the use of yield management as a thing in admissions, which is the query posed by the original person to whom I replied. My point was that it is very prevalent in schools ranked 25-60, and it does exist, but Cal Poly may have it’s own reasons to do so.

Derp - you’re right. I was looking at Cal State. D21 just logged into the CP portal & it says the same thing yours does.

1 Like

CSUs have a thing where if you don’t get in to the CSUs you applied to they give you options to apply to other CSUs that still have openings. Does anyone know if they will do that if you are waitlisted? In other words, if my daughter is waitlisted at the two CSUs she applied to, will CSU redirect her to another CSU? Or will that only be if she was denied at both?

I think you know well that Cal Poly ranking is hard to compare given its undergrad only. Given its admission rate of ~30%, closest comparison would be UC Santa Barbara. IMHO, those two are comparable. Within the undergrad institutes it is ranked pretty high. Any school with a 30% acceptance rate is a highly competitive school.

4 Likes

From the SLO Waitlist Page:

If you are a CSU-eligible California resident who has been waitlisted or denied admission to Cal Poly, you may have the opportunity to be redirected to a non-impacted campus. The CSU will inform you of available campuses via email.

If you receive a redirection message, your spot on the Cal Poly waitlist is still secured. If you choose to be redirected, your status on the waitlist at Cal Poly will NOT be impacted. You will be notified of your final waitlist status on your My Cal Poly Portal by July 15. If you are not selected off the waitlist, you will then have the opportunity to go to the redirected campus.

1 Like

CalPoly is a “regional” school and not a “national university,” and that is not to say solely as described by USNWR definitions. It is indeed not considered as such for many reasons, and one of those being the (almost, meaning PhD) total lack of a grad school as you note.

However, to say it is comparable to UCSB (or any other school) in some general way based upon a similar acceptance rate is a stretch at best.

I agree.

SLO’s yield management, if it exists and as was previously said, is likely more for enrollment/impacted major issues and not prestige as it is more so for Harvard, Caltech, etc.

1 Like

Speaking from a parent’s point of view and as a native Californian, SLO is generally perceived as the rough equivalent to a mid-tier UC. And that’s how we’re viewing it. We’re waiting on a few UC decisions, like everyone else (we declined Merced and Riverside acceptances already), but we’re not sure that we would choose a UC over SLO. SLO has its advantages in our family’s view.

8 Likes

Going through the process for a second time with my younger son and we, like so many, are anxiously waiting for a decision. But browsing through the topics of why applicants would be denied to Cal Poly CS but admitted to “higher level UCs”. There’s a pretty simple answer. CalPoly is a meritocracy, they don’t care what high school you attended, there are no essays. Their admission is MCA point based (and yes you can get a couple points for underprivileged kids) but for the most part it’s just those who have the highest level of points based on their rubric and on a per major basis. UC’s do holistic review - meaning it has a subjective element to it. To me, that falls flat. UC’s rubric is very very heavily weighted to class rank. So if you go to a highly competitive high school, you are significantly disadvantaged for UCs. If you go to a less competitive high school, you are advantaged for UCs. So consequently it would stand to reason that applying from a less competitive high school your kids may not be admitted to Cal Poly, but if you attend a highly competitive high school and you’ve done very well but less than perfect you are much more likely to get in to Cal Poly. This is our experience and point of view. Cal Poly is a wonderful school and our older son attends the engineering school at Cal Poly and loves it! Both my wife and I are UC grads and are deeply rooted and disappointed with UCs - we feel they have lost their mandate to educate CA kids.

13 Likes

I paid 4k for intensive ACT training. COVID threw all rules out the window.

3 Likes

My son is out of state and has been accepted to env science but a friend of his is eagerly awaiting an acceptance into Psychology. Her portal says no determination yet.
Who knows??

That makes sense. My boys go to a pretty competitive high school and last year cal poly accepted 47 out of 82 applicants, class of 190.

1 Like

@Seabass927 You need to put this logo on sweatshirts and market it on CC!!

1 Like

Exactly. Our school has a lot of kids accepted in to Cal Poly but getting a couple of B+'s in your high school career is a UC killer as they have too many “perfect” scoring kids.

Son waitlisted, OOS, business

Help. How does one access the CP portal? My daughter never received an email telling her to set up the portal?

@DarkSkye I wonder if there will be even more pressure for focus on in-state admissions. I thought that other than 1-2 UCs, they all had thresholds for in-state they had to meet? Governor Newsom already added 3% to the education budget to keep UC tuition flat thru next school year.

1 Like

One of mine has all As but he still has little chance of UCLA or Berkeley. He only took 7APs and his ECs are all pretty high level theater, dance, and singing but with no leadership and he is not applying to theater programs. And his great ACT score is for nil. But he also does a bit of visual art and is thrilled with Graphic Communications with a Dance minor at Cal Poly.

1 Like