Cal Poly SLO Class of 2025 Regular Decision

Geez, I should have thought of that! #Brilliant :joy:

1 Like

I’ve never seen class rank listed as one of the criteria UCs use for admission. Our CA HS does not class rank, so how do they equalize that or account for schools that don’t rank?

The admissions data for our schools was interesting - about 20-30% of kids who applied admitted to UCB and UCLA, much higher % for the mid-tier UCs. We are not a top tier, uber-competitive HS.

1 Like

after you app apply they send you an email with a link to setup your portal.

Correct - but the UCs have the class rank. I have verified that directly from a UCLA person. They claim to see your rank even if you are a non-ranking high school (which was our case too).

Oh really? :thinking:

So that’s super interesting. In our HS grade book app, if you inspect the source code on a browser, you can view your kid’s class rank, even though the school states in the school profile they don’t use it. So you’re saying somewhere UC is able to access this? I wonder how
it’s not listed on transcript
and which class rank are they using, because our grad book app lists 3-4 different ranks depending on W or UWGPA.

If you can’t find the email, go to:

CalPoly.edu
My portal
Click on “need help”

Thank you! We signed in. Nothing. Not even a pending message!

I do not want to derail this SLO discussion but the UC”s use the following when evaluating applicants:
Identification by UC as being ranked in the top 9 percent of your high school class at the end of your junior year (Eligible in the Local Context, or ELC).

This is the only ranking that I am aware that they use but the school profile will also detail class standing without truly ranking the individual student.

1 Like

Keeping tuition flat through next year bare scratches the surface of the big picture. CA does a lot of talk on tuition, as a seemingly progressive state, that has among the highest in state tuition and taxes. Gov needs to do far more than freeze tuition for a year to really address the issue. Also, the disparity between the rate of OOS/international admissions way higher in proportion and not inline with other states.

They use rank in top 9% as criteria, supposedly more so at UCLA and Berkeley. My boys’ school does not rank either. But they don’t use the school rankings anyway. This is the process:

How does UC calculate my school’s historic or benchmark GPA?

UC uses transcripts that your school has submitted for the top 15 percent of your high school’s junior class, after final junior year grades are entered.
Based on these transcripts, UC establishes a historic, or benchmark, GPA representing the expected GPA for the top 9 percent of the students from your school.
Schools are periodically asked to submit transcripts so that we can monitor and adjust benchmark GPAs.

From here: Local guarantee (ELC) | UC Admissions

i wish they would raise out of state tuition. It’s ridiculously cheap. I look a University of Michigan Ann Arbor and they charge $50k for OOS. I’d like to see UCs do that!

1 Like

Those are good insights, but the vast majority of Accepts that I’ve seen across all majors have been 4.0 and up, and a large number 4.2 and up. I’m thinking that’s better than less that perfect :wink:

Go to:

My apps
Student center
Scroll down to:
Application Status

You should see something

High GPA without tons of APs, leadership, very particular ECs and service (or a compelling story or situation) are less than perfect for UCLA and Berkeley.

or everybody charge less so that more ppl have access w/o crippling debt.

ideally it would be great to have a system where nobody is denied admission based on financials. if the parents can afford it, then charge more. If parents can’t afford it then charge less down to free. It would certainly eliminate financial motives for accepting sooo many OOS students.

I am not sure how they calculated this for 2021 grads at my kids’ school. Many kids’ GPAs are lower than they would have been because of P/NP last spring semester and no chance to add in more 5s from weighted classes. What do you think?

I’m familiar with ELC. @FlyYellow seemed to suggest that they’re looking at traditional class rank though, which would be news to me (and would seem very non-transparent given that UC details its admissions criteria).

Delete

I don’t think they look at traditional class rank. They just use their formula.