Cal Poly SLO Class of 2025 Regular Decision

There were plenty students who studied harder in the second semester of junior year and did much better, but their junior grade (second semester) reported as pass/fail. As such, most schools evaluate applicants for admission based on only three semesters. Not much weight is given to senior year grades in those schools as many won’t look at mid-year (semester 7) grades. This will lead to GPAs follow a form of a step function.

There are many students who registered at other states, including the one your son/daughter attended and prepped for the test and were ready to take it, but their center decided to close out. It was random as other neighboring centers administered the test.
This happened to many many students, mainly West Coast or East Coast students and there was some randomness associated with it.

I think this year, nothing is predictable and unfortunately nothing is going to be fair.

2 Likes

Son was admitted to SLO so at this point that’s his first choice. My older son’s friend goes to UCR however and is very happy there, anxious to go back in the fall. Right now we are waiting on the other UCs and see where the chips fall. As gumbymom has said in the past. They will grow where planted! so true for my older son, who didn’t get his first choice campus, as it will be for this group of kids too!:blush:

2 Likes

@MommaLue Which portal are you referring to that shows too 9%, UCR? I’m trying to find it.

@TwoforT I think we were looking at the UCLA portal but I would think it’s in every portal. Check one of the UCs your kiddo applied to and see if it’s in there. I assume if one says 9% ELC, it is universal for all the UC since it’s CA-highschool-based?

1 Like

it’s on the uc application portal, the one which u actually submitted your app on. If you scroll down, the very last option should be view how my application is reviewed. click on that, and if you qualify, it will say.

1 Like

Yes, thank you for pointing that out. My S has the note of being in the top 9% added to his application. For my D18, I got a note from the school that she is ELC in the summer of senior year. Not for my son - the school did not send a note but it’s there on the portal.

Probably yes, if you haven’t studied music. My D18 did an instrument so it was easy for her. Especially if you have a good pitch (which she does not, lol). In our school the class is not hard, even if the exam is.

1 Like

Interesting, there is a difference in the message if you qualify ELC for your HS and statewide. The first message says “You rank in the top 9 percent of your graduating class according to UC calculations.” The second message says “You rank in the top 9% of California high school students, based on your grades and test scores.” Doesn’t matter probably, we will all end up at UC Merced :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is this still a thread about SLO? I’m confused…

3 Likes

Yes, but some posters have been warned to keep it about SLO and start a new discussion for the UC ELC questions.

2 Likes

I beg to disagree. When over 5000 applications are received from OOS applicants, and more than 3/4 are accepted to SLO, it is an obvious solution created by CP to generate revenue given the typically lower yield group. There is no logic whatsoever, MCA or otherwise, to accept broadly 79% of any applicant pool. It’s is also a bit of a kneejerk response to ridding itself of ED.

I agree with you about accepting OOS students for the purpose of generating revenue but also there are far fewer applicants from OOS that are competing for spots with the many in-state applicants. The UC’s and the Cal states are guilty of this but I will also say, that the UC’s and Cal states always counter back saying if we do not accept full pay OOS students then we will have to raise tuition rates for all students especially the CA students. Personally I find you cannot win either way. I just do not like to state the obvious since I find these statements will come back to haunt me with not so nice PM’s.

1 Like

I agree with you. But there is a lot to say about the finance of higher education and what a mess it is. The schools say they need more OOS students to boost their budgets (I believe this to be true). But the reason they need this money is because state legislators keep cutting education funding. Meanwhile, we have a generation of students trying to start their lives with a mountain of debt.

1 Like

I am not sure about Cal States, but I am sure that the UCs are already the richest among all public schools in the US due to all these royalties and patents especially from the medical field.

Thanks I’ll check

“Chancellors and senior leaders at five of the nine UC undergraduate campuses told The Times that the staggering financial hit to their operations triggered by the coronavirus crisis and a $300.8-million proposed state budget cut this year have underscored the pressing need to open talks about tuition rates.” LA Times December 12, 2020

Mmm… UCs already have $20+ Billion endowment alone. $300 million is only 1.4%. They should be OK.

For 9 schools, yes, $21 Billion, for 285,000 students. Individually, not very big at all. UCSB, UCSC, UCM and UCR are quite minuscule.

Also, if I’m reading the report correctly, 93% of that endowment is restricted.

For a rough comparison sake, Michigan has a $12.5 Billion endowment for 46,000 students. Just for Ann Arbor.

1 Like

I applied for Biology (I’m out of state) and was accepted on 2/22. As for my stats, I have a 3.95 unweighted GPA and have taken 5 AP’s (including Physics 1 and Calc AB) along with two dual-credit courses. I am a varsity and club athlete and member of a volunteer organization, which made up my extracurriculars.

This is a Cal Poly SLO thread, correct? Seems like it has diverted…

3 Likes