Cal Poly SLO Class of 2025 Regular Decision

That’s good to know. Do you recall when your D got off the wait lists? I can’t imagine our son wanting to wait too terribly long to make a decision.

2 Likes

My son got accepted to SLO last March and was waitlisted at UCD! SLO was his dream school so all ended well. Who knows!

ME, 4.27 capped, 35 ACT

Oh and my daughter applied this year to Aero with better stats. She’s terrified she won’t get in. It’s so different this year. I am confident that she will end up where she is meant to be.

2 Likes

CalPoly was the original name of CalPoly SLO. In 1938 they created a southern campus in Pomona. This campus area was previously a part of the University of California system and used for agricultural research. In 1966 CalPoly thought that because both schools were getting bigger, that each school needed to have its own administration. So they decided to create two schools, but they had they both same name due to their history together. I have lived in San Diego and now in San Francisco. In each place we call the schools CalPoly Pomona and CalPoly SLO. Good luck everyone. My daughter is at SLO and it is GREAT!

2 Likes

I’m from Southern CA, but have lived in Northern CA for a long time. Those are the names we always used too—Cal Poly Pomona and Cal Poly SLO. Some people here say SLO or Cal Poly, meaning the SLO location.

According to the different merch available, Cal Poly refers to the SLO campus. CPP or Cal Poly Pomona is, well Cal Poly Pomona. Having grown up in southern California, Cal Poly Pomona is never referred to as just Cal Poly. Everyone assumes if you say Cal Poly, or you’re wearing Cal Poly merch, you mean SLO.

6 Likes

Yep

DD (OOS) applied SLO Environmental Engineering (1) Architectural Engineering (2) maxed out on Cal State GPA…4.2 many ECs, 7 APs but may have forgotten to check leadership boxes. OOPS. The Cal State application was very different than all the other schools she applied (UW, Mines, CU Boulder, OSU Honors, USF, WWU). It was also her last application and I think she reached the burnout stage even though it was her top or second choice. So many essays. She’s been accepted to all but waiting on UW and CalPoly. Lots of scholarship offers but OSU (Honors) is pulling ahead in terms of cost (in state with more engineering specific scholarships pending). But UW and Cal Poly are her dream schools. First we will see if she makes it into these two schools and then we will consider the costs. Crazy year for applying to competitive schools.

2 Likes

For in state families, what do you think the chances of in person classes are Fall 2021 at Cal Poly? Oregon has one of the lowest rates of COVID in the nation but very few back to school here (NYT article on this last week) so I am not sure what chances are here honestly. As long as the vaccines happen this summer I am comfortable with her attending in person classes and dorm experience. I am crossing my fingers. These kiddos need it after a non existent senior year for many/most.

1 Like

We are right outside San Francisco and have been remote since March but are planning to be back hybrid in a few weeks. Cal States are saying they will be in person, but who knows. My guess is that they will be more in-person than now but not fully. Did you see?:

1 Like

Santa Clara University in Northern CA announced that they will be back in school in person next Fall. From an email:

We heard from many families that they appreciated last week’s virtual Parent Panel! Perhaps the most reassuring sentiment: SCU is planning to be on-campus in the fall, as guided by state, county, and federal policies.

That’s not Cal Poly obviously, but it’s a CA data point of some kind or other.

1 Like

isn’t Santa Clara a private school though?

Yes it is.

I have nothing to base my opinion on, but I would guess perhaps some GE courses might stay online while the hands-on type classes will be in person. I don’t think anyone outside of their administration knows though, and of course could change.

I think they are just as anxious as us to be back to full capacity in the dorms and have classes on campus, for their finances and the student satisfaction rate.

2 Likes

My freshman son is at SLO now. His engineering labs are in-person. They gave all freshman the option of living on campus, one person per room, for 2020-2021. I’m betting big that next year most classes will be in-person.

3 Likes

I think so, too. The key is to protect the students and the staff. CA is about to open up fully to Phase 1B tier that includes educators/school staff. Our district staff is getting vaccinated starting this week and should be done mid April (I’m helping at our dedicated clinic). CA Public Health has been able to get us a steady supply where we get about 1200 staff members vaccinated per week, in addition to the public clinic on site that has been vaccinating 65+ and Phase 1A.

I’m confident students can get vaccinated by Sept. The only variable is the variant strains that we don’t fully understand but hoping people will realize that masking and double masking is a thing that can stop allowing humans to be hosts for the viruses to mutate.

1 Like

That’s positive your son has some in person labs. OSU has had no in person classes including labs for undergrads despite having some of the lowest COVID cases per capita in the USA. It is a less than ideal situation. And for the record I am extremely cautious and adhere to all COVID recommendations and protocols. I am just hoping for some light at the end of the tunnel for our freshmen.

In Oregon we began vaccinating Early Childhood-12th grade teachers Jan 25th…one of first states to do so in the nation. Hybrid for k-2 to begin in a couple of weeks at some but not all school districts where those teachers have completed their vaccinations and waited 2 weeks. Some large districts are saying they will not be in person until fall if then. I am assuming college profs are just in cue with the general public. Even with the vaccinations we are very slow at opening so I am concerned about next fall in Oregon and was wondering about CA and WA too. Here is a link to the NYT piece regarding thishttps://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/17/us/schools-reopening-west-coast

2 Likes

While Santa Clara U is private, Santa Clara County has been a big PITA re: Covid.

They forced the SF 49ers, who play in Santa Clara, to move their home games to Arizona, even saying that there would be no fans in the stands.

They wanted no part of their opponents coming to Santa Clara at the end of the season. So, if Santa Clara U is saying they’re planning to reopen, that does say something to me about the rest of CA.

1 Like

To me, it seems like there is a big push in many places in CA to open schools but with strong safety measures in place and I think that will be the case with colleges. My seniors are set to go back hybrid soon with a long list of guidelines. Their teachers are trying to get vaccinated. A group of 30-40 coordinated and all went to the Oakland Coliseum vaccination site this past week. Fingers crossed for CA colleges in fall.

1 Like

At SLO they have very strict guidelines including getting tested 2 times per WEEK, passing a self assessment daily and showing your certification in order to do anything on campus, only 1 person from your floor allowed to visit your dorm room, no other visitors - not even relatives, masks always. If one person on the floor gets COVID, they are removed and go into isolation, and the rest of the floor quarantines for 2 weeks. This has not happened to my son yet… They are also doing waste water testing.

My daughter is a senior in HS and her year is just passing her by. It’s awful.

Our family has taken COVID very seriously and have taken as many precautions as possible but these kids need to get back to in-person school. They have missed so much.

3 Likes