Cal Poly SLO Class of 2025 Regular Decision

D21 got Pomona acceptance this week.

5 Likes

I saw someone post on FB today that her daughter was accepted to Pomona today; only she meant to apply to SLO.

2 Likes

Oopsie! We applied to SLO and Pomona! Sounds like people are starting to hear about Pomona decisions.

2 Likes

Our S21 got his yesterday as well.

1 Like

Oh, that must have been so disappointing.

2 Likes

I told S21 to just apply to all of the UCs except Merced. Hedging bets. Sigh.

2 Likes

At least you got one. Didn’t even get that over here :frowning:

Oh, no! It is confusing. I thought Cal Poly was Cal Poly until my husband told me that his bro graduated from Pomona and it got me all confused.

When people discuss “Cal Poly” around here in the SF Bay Area, we all think SLO, even though CP Pomona is an very good school as well.

What’s kind of “funny” is that when you do say “Cal Poly Pomona,” some think it’s Pomona College. So CP Pomona doesn’t get the recognition it deserves.

4 Likes

“Cal Poly” is the school in San Luis Obispo.

The school in Pomona is actually California “State” Polytechnic. “Cal Poly Pomona” is best nomenclature. Since there are two its pretty confusing. Sounds like Humboldt is considering assuming a polytechnic curriculum?

1 Like

Yes, Pomona is “California State Polytechnic University.”

And SLO is “California Polytechnic State University.”

1 Like

I have to disagree. “Cal Poly” is not San Luis Obispo, or at least it shouldn’t be. We really need to say Cal Poly Pomona or Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. In SoCal, maybe because we are more familiar with Cal Poly Pomona than NorCal people would be, we typically say “Cal Poly Pomona,” and “SLO.” And, yeah, we should not say just “Pomona,” because that’s Pomona College, part of the Claremont Consortium.

Funny story, my friend’s daughter went to tour “Pomona,” and they were really impressed as they even just sat waiting for the tour to begin. But then, alas, they figured out they were at Pomona College and the daughter had applied to Cal Poly Pomona. And just to add to the story, not related to this thread, LOL, that girl ended up going to, and graduating from Humboldt, and just got accepted to all of her top choice Med Schools!!! Many paths lead to success.

4 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

That is per the brand standards of both schools. However, I understand what you mean as I went to Cal Poly an live in Southern California but if you contact the schools they will tell you “Cal Poly” is the school in San Luis Obispo. “Cal Poly Pomona” or “California State Polytechnic University, Pomona” is the preferred nomenclature.

1 Like

It’s funny we all refer to Cal Poly as Cal Poly Pomona here in So Cal. And SLO is always Cal Poly SLO.

4 Likes

@sushiritto you taught me something new today!!

2 Likes

Check out each of their websites.

1 Like

Last year our daughter with near perfect SAT scores, several 5’s on APs and straight As was wait listed for Bio at SLO, UCSD, and UCI. She got into all three eventually but had already accepted at UCD and is quite happy there. Anyway, it’s a minor expense to forgo the fees you pay by May 1st–so if your kids don’t get in on the first pass, they will likely have more options a few months later

3 Likes

Do you happen to remember how long it took for her to get off of the waitlist? I worry about this happening with my S21, who is similar to your daughter in stats.

I have one very happy at UCD as well! It’s a great school.

We’d take SLO or UCD in a NY minute!

5 Likes